Thanks Thanks:  31
Likes Likes:  42
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs hope Ballarat clash persuades state government to boost Eureka Stadium’s capacity

4? Far out. That 20 dollar multi pack of foot and hand warmers at the chemist is looking like better value all the time.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs hope Ballarat clash persuades state government to boost Eureka Stadium’s capacity

Gotta say, really disappointed by today..

11k is just not enough. The capacity meant that our crowd were too heavily corporate. Just too many golf clappers. Simply not enough die hards to really make the place a cauldron in the Subiaco mould.

Huge opportunity lost. Every time I screamed at Razor Ray today,I had people giving me confused looks. Even had one Dogs fan (who was entertaining a number of Port fans) tell me "it was there, mate!" When I protested a free kick against Bont (who was poor, btw. However he was played out of position..)

Can't help but be disappointed that the crowd were far less help than a typical Etihad ensemble.. Couldn't help but notice that, of the 11k, there were a LOT of Ballarat councillors, corporates, hangers on etc. certainly not enough to make the required racket to return serve on a trip to Subiaco or Adelaide Oval...

Really, really disappointed...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Gotta say, really disappointed by today..

11k is just not enough. The capacity meant that our crowd were too heavily corporate. Just too many golf clappers. Simply not enough die hards to really make the place a cauldron in the Subiaco mould.

Huge opportunity lost. Every time I screamed at Razor Ray today,I had people giving me confused looks. Even had one Dogs fan (who was entertaining a number of Port fans) tell me "it was there, mate!" When I protested a free kick against Bont (who was poor, btw. However he was played out of position..)

Can't help but be disappointed that the crowd were far less help than a typical Etihad ensemble.. Couldn't help but notice that, of the 11k, there were a LOT of Ballarat councillors, corporates, hangers on etc. certainly not enough to make the required racket to return serve on a trip to Subiaco or Adelaide Oval...

Really, really disappointed...
    It's the first time factor. The corporate mix will change as the novelty wears off, allowing for more die hard fans to attend.

The ground was in superb nick, the weather held up, the crowd was chock full (yeah, there were plenty there just for the experience but cest le vie) and the Western Bulldogs brand was plastered all over town, including red, white and blue currently being projected on the Town Hall facade tonight.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    It's the first time factor. The corporate mix will change as the novelty wears off, allowing for more die hard fans to attend.

The ground was in superb nick, the weather held up, the crowd was chock full (yeah, there were plenty there just for the experience but cest le vie) and the Western Bulldogs brand was plastered all over town, including red, white and blue currently being projected on the Town Hall facade tonight.
    Mitch Wallis's image was plastered all over town..

.. You'd trade it all for four points... Season over. Debacle..

We'd have pulled 35k and won it at Etihad... I've been very bullish about Ballarat, however feeling very, very poorly on this train home...

Post Thanks / Like

We'd have pulled 35k and won it at Etihad... I've been very bullish about Ballarat, however feeling very, very poorly on this train home...
    Interesting point. I guess sometimes money is more important than winning.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

We'd have won at Etihad? Please.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly a better chance. The whole 'understand how to play in windy conditions' seemed to confuse them way too much. For blokes who train at the WO it was staggering to watch.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Razor was at his belligerent best and the crowd simply didn't rise to it. Far too many corporates and fence sitters. Home ground advantage not completely neutralised, but significantly diminished.

Q'n) How often to WCE lose the free kick count at Subiaco??!! Or Adelaide at Ao?!
    Last edited by Webby; 20-08-2017 at 11:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Other than the result, I thought Ballarat did a great job today and to see a sea of RWB all over the ground, with their free flags waving was great.

Well done to all that organised the game.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Other than the result, I thought Ballarat did a great job today and to see a sea of RWB all over the ground, with their free flags waving was great.

Well done to all that organised the game.
    I just wish someone would tell the club to give a free flag with every junior membership. It looked great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I just wish someone would tell the club to give a free flag with every junior membership. It looked great.
    You may recall I have said that plenty of times on this forum
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You may recall I have said that plenty of times on this forum
    Really? I thought you were the 'awesome' guy and EasternWest was the kids flag guy.

Post Thanks / Like

There were a lot of Port supporters there today. A lot more opposition supporters than you'd find at Subi. Where I was there was heaps of spite for Razor Ray and all the flags looked great. But you're right there were plenty of corporates and hangers on but like Comrade said they will move onto the next shiny thing and before long the ground will be full of feral fans. Rome wasn't built in a day.

The town looked great with the tricolours everywhere. It's only day one. And don't forget that rich breeding ground now becomes part of our zone. Hopefully like Bogey said to Claude Raines Louis I think this is going to be the start of a beautiful friendship

And I talked to Billy Picken outside at qurter time having a ciggy.

Post Thanks / Like

We've been shithouse at Etihad most games this season - even West Coke beat us there. Conversely we're unbeaten at the MCG for the last 2 years, so playing in the elements really seems to suit us.

Imagine how damaging Dixon and Ryder would have been in pristine conditions under the roof today.

I love our push into Ballarat. The ground surface is in magnificent nick, the city itself is a great place to visit with a thriving arts scene, and it is the end point of the western region of suburban Melbourne making it a fantastic breeding ground for new supporters in the fastest growing corridor in Australia. We are working the relationship very strongly, and the local community has gotten behind us. If Geelong can weasel $90m of marginal seat Govt funding for their pissant toy ground, I look forward to further funding and investment in Ballarat and Mars Stadium. This will be a game changer for the club for generations to come.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

15. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    We've been shithouse at Etihad most games this season - even West Coke beat us there. Conversely we're unbeaten at the MCG for the last 2 years, so playing in the elements really seems to suit us.

Imagine how damaging Dixon and Ryder would have been in pristine conditions under the roof today.

I love our push into Ballarat. The ground surface is in magnificent nick, the city itself is a great place to visit with a thriving arts scene, and it is the end point of the western region of suburban Melbourne making it a fantastic breeding ground for new supporters in the fastest growing corridor in Australia. We are working the relationship very strongly, and the local community has gotten behind us. If Geelong can weasel $90m of marginal seat Govt funding for their pissant toy ground, I look forward to further funding and investment in Ballarat and Mars Stadium. This will be a game changer for the club for generations to come.
    Good point. Ballarat will effectively be the the outer western region of Melbourne eventually with the fast rail and the improvements to the highway. That gives us a huge catchment area for support if we play our cards right.

17. Likes N/A liked this post