Thanks Thanks:  31
Likes Likes:  42
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs hope Ballarat clash persuades state government to boost Eureka Stadium’s capacity

You nailed that. We brought our Etihad game to the first quarter. We were handballing when we had a decisive wind advantage that we should have been kicking with. We lost about four goals that quarter. Yes we should have been training in Ballarat from the Monday not at Whitten Oval on the Friday night before the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs hope Ballarat clash persuades state government to boost Eureka Stadium’s capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    That's an honest appraisal, the Council are studying everything from the Live Site which was under patronised to aerial footage to look at how roads were used and where people parked. We would expect the next game to be a little slicker in terms of logistics and they will build on the strengths and improve on the weaknesses.
    Many thanks, my concern was also around the seating which appeared to be cramped and uncomfortable and I wouldn't think thats something that will be fixed
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yep, probably the best restaurant in the region. The town overall has definitely upped it's food game over the past few years.
    On the Friday night we went to The Mallow Hotel for a counter dinner and that was also very good.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Some cool aerial images on the day:

Pre-game at 10am:

Post Thanks / Like

Great photos, thanks Woofer

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We caught the train up and had a good day except for the result of course..went to one of the function thingys and was fed and watered beautifully No problem with the seats but then I am vertically challenged!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the photos Woofer. Crowd looks great plenty of red, white and Blue I can see.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks, my concern was also around the seating which appeared to be cramped and uncomfortable and I wouldn't think thats something that will be fixed
    I've been there and I am 6 feet tall and personally haven't found that, but perhaps that might be something looked at with future stands. It will be interesting to see what the Council have learned from the first big event.

The ground has a real sense of closeness to the field and everything else that you loose with the vastness of the bigger stadiums. It was definitely worse in the old days when we used to jam onto bench seats shoulder to shoulder and there was no leg room at all. When the siren blew to start the quarter, that's where you stayed until it blew again. The old standing areas at the VFL grounds were worse, you stood shoulder to shoulder and the kids jostled to look between the adults.

The world of course was much skinnier then too, imagine today's larger generation coping with that :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    On the Friday night we went to The Mallow Hotel for a counter dinner and that was also very good.
    Ah the old counter meal and a couple of pots in your lunch hour. The good old days.

10. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah the old counter meal and a couple of pots in your lunch hour. The good old days.
    Geez ... The Mallow Hotel, what great old pub that is. It is one of a few traditional pubs left. There of course is "The Queens Head", "The Bunch of Grapes", "The Miller's Arms" (My personal favourite), the "Black Hill", and of course the "North Britain". Old traditional pubs ... there aren't too many of them left nowadays that don't have pokies, TAB or which have been turned into Bistros and Brasseries.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Geez ... The Mallow Hotel, what great old pub that is. It is one of a few traditional pubs left. There of course is "The Queens Head", "The Bunch of Grapes", "The Miller's Arms" (My personal favourite), the "Black Hill", and of course the "North Britain". Old traditional pubs ... there aren't too many of them left nowadays that don't have pokies, TAB or which have been turned into Bistros and Brasseries.
    Virtually none left in Footscray anymore.

It was a bit cramped but we had a very large gentleman sitting alongside us. I was happy enough to be under cover just in case it rained like it can in Ballarat.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Virtually none left in Footscray anymore.

It was a bit cramped but we had a very large gentleman sitting alongside us. I was happy enough to be under cover just in case it rained like it can in Ballarat.
    The last 5 minutes ruined what would have been a brilliant weekend - *!*!*!*!

Post Thanks / Like

North Ballarat has just had it's VFL licence revoked, so no VFL games for Eureka next year?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    North Ballarat has just had it's VFL licence revoked, so no VFL games for Eureka next year?

It's an intersesting decision that may well affect us but won't get the examination it deserves because we are a bit distracted at the moment.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Have to think there's little justification for further expansion if there's only 2 AFL games, no VFL games but maybe some local games. I'd love to have that grand stand expanded and allow many more members to get in.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023