Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Matthew Boyd - Announces Retirement

Matthew Boyd: "We probably know why we are here today, and that's to announce 2017 will be my last in the game."

* I always knew that this would be my last year."

* I finish with no regrets."

* What this last year has given me is a chance to spend time with the people of this Club, and really enjoy the ride.

* The Western Bulldogs Football Club have given the opportunity to my family and I to have the ride of a lifetime.

* To the members and supporters, this is who we do this for. I thank them for making it a special journey.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks bulldogtragic, Eastdog, dadsgirl16 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Matthew Boyd - Announces Retirement

Boyd calls time

Western Bulldogs veteran Matthew Boyd has called an end to an outstanding 16-year AFL career.
    Boyd, one of the most decorated players in Bulldogs’ history, today announced that the 2017 season would be his last.

Boyd will leave the game with three Charles Sutton Medals, three All-Australian awards, a premiership, captaincy of the Bulldogs and as one of the most respected players of the modern era.“It has been an amazing journey for me to play at the highest level at the Western Bulldogs for 16 years,”
    Boyd said.
    “I am fortunate to have been given the opportunity to play for such an amazing club and to have met so many incredible people along the way.

“For me it’s those friendships and special bonds I’ve developed here that mean the most to me, and are what make this club so special.“I’m proud to finish my career as a one-club player, and I want to thank everyone at the Western Bulldogs for their support of me and my family over my career.

“The Bulldogs’ fans have been phenomenal. I thank you for embracing me, and it was truly an honour playing for you.”Boyd currently has 291 games to his name - the most ever by a player who started his career as a rookie.

Only seven other Bulldogs players have recorded more games in their careers – Brad Johnson, Chris Grant, Doug Hawkins, Ted Whitten, Scott West, Rohan Smith and Bob Murphy.“Matthew has made an amazing contribution to the Western Bulldogs, and he will be remembered as one of the most influential players in the Club’s history,” said coach Luke Beveridge.

“His list of on-field achievements stack up among the greats of this Club, and he is held in the highest regard through his outstanding leadership over a long period of time.“Matthew can be very proud of what he accomplished at the highest level, and we thank him for his passion, professionalism, strong work ethic and ability to make others better around him.

Boyd was recruited to the Bulldogs with the 23rd selection in the 2001 Rookie Draft, after playing for the Dandenong Stingrays in the TAC Cup and Frankston in the VFL.He made his debut in Round 7, 2003, and by the following year he had established himself as a permanent fixture in the Bulldogs’ team.

He forged a strong reputation as a hard-running, ball-winning midfielder, and he enjoyed a dominant period as one of the elite players in the competition.His most damaging seasons came from 2009-2012, where he won his three Best and Fairest awards and was named in the All-Australian team twice, all while captaining the Club from 2011-13.

In the last few seasons Boyd has become a dependable defender, and was a crucial cog in the Bulldogs’ 2016 premiership team, a season which was capped with a third All-Australian selection.Boyd has averaged 25 disposals per game in his career to date (the second most by a Bulldogs player who has played over 100 games), and has kicked 85 goals.

Career highlights:

Captain: 2011-2013
    Premiership side: 2016
    Charles Sutton Medal: 2009, 2011, 2012

All Australian team: 2009, 2011, 2016

International Rules Series: 2008, 2010
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rookie Games Played Record too.
    Night Premiership in 2010 too.
    And the most awesome goal, against Richmond in Round 1 many years ago.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

6. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The 'Pelicans Own' has called time on his career.
    Ex-Captain, 3 x All Australian, 3 x BF, Premiership player.
    Been an absolute champion for our club and a pleasure to watch.
    Thank you Matty Boyd.
    ��⚪️��
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

8. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Matthew Keith Boyd. What an absolute star. That record must stack up with the top ten percent of players to play the game. Multiple B&F, multiple AA, Club captain, Premiership player. A lot of the time Keithy was happy to sacrifice his own game for the good of the team but his natural game was good enough to be All Australian and club Best and Fairest 3 times. His preperation and recovery was second to none and his durability has been amazing.

A footballer's footballer. What an amazing career.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

He is also an AFL Life Member.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

11. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    Good pick up too. How did the club miss numerous of his achievements?

A real shame he couldn't slot into the 300 club.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post

Yep, very nearly a 300 game player. With rep matches and night matches added on that makes Keithy officially a 300 gamer and I think it's important to point out that's why they made him an honorary AFL life member.

Post Thanks / Like

Where does Matty Boyd come in the list of all time great bulldog players? If EJ is number one, the Bont number 2, Templeton number 3, Doug Hawkins number 4 etc.

Is Keithy in the top ten? His record is pretty bloody good.

Post Thanks / Like

Well fine on a magnificent career Keith .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yep, very nearly a 300 game player. With rep matches and night matches added on that makes Keithy officially a 300 gamer and I think it's important to point out that's why they made him an honorary AFL life member.
    He is not an honorary life member, he is a life member.

The prerequisite for AFL Life Memberships is 300 games, which as you said, includes pre season and international games.

There are plenty of AFL Life Members who didn't play 300 H&A and Finals games.

It is a handy thing to have. 2 free tickets to every AFL game, including finals, for life. They also get invited to official AFL lunches at games a couple of times a year.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Matty Boyd is also the Grand Nephew of the "Peanut Man" who used to walk around the Western Oval selling peanuts for 20c a bag

18. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Where does Matty Boyd come in the list of all time great bulldog players? If EJ is number one, the Bont number 2, Templeton number 3, Doug Hawkins number 4 etc.

Is Keithy in the top ten? His record is pretty bloody good.
    Been a very consistent & durable player, but I would think that achievement isn't quite in his kit-bag... Lots of very good players would make the list before Boyd.

Post Thanks / Like

Onya Keithy.

BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

What a magnificent speech by Boydy. As thorough as his preparation was for a game. He has been a truly great player for our Club and he is such a nice guy off the field too. Always happy to chat with doggie supporters.Wish him all the very best for the future.Good on you Keithy.

22. Likes Eastdog liked this post