Thanks Thanks:  31
Likes Likes:  42
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs hope Ballarat clash persuades state government to boost Eureka Stadium’s capacity

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Yes, North didn't want to leave Ballarat, but they were forced to choose between Ballarat and Hobart. Why didn't they do what we are doing, try and own the rural extension of their inner city homeland instead of playing interstate? Because Tassie offered more money. It's worth more to them because people fly there, stay there, eat there etc. Same as Cairns
    No let's not gloss it over or try to re-write any history. I live in Ballarat, make no mistake, North were shown the door and were told that they were no longer going to be sponsored by the City of Ballarat in early 2015. They didn't even get the 2015 NAB cup gig in Ballarat, that instead went to the Bullies and the Dees (that tells you something). There was a lot of back room wheeling and dealing that went on between the Ballarat Council, the AFL and State Government. At the same time, because the Andrews government were still to confirm if they were going to develop Eureka Stadium (which wasn't announced until June 2015), it was the Tasmanian government (Tourism Tasmania) who got in first having made a very lucrative offer to the Roos. They offered the Roos 1 million per year to play three games in Hobart until 2021. The Hawks get around 1.5 million for four games in Launceston.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs hope Ballarat clash persuades state government to boost Eureka Stadium’s capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    No let's not gloss it over or try to re-write any history. I live in Ballarat, make no mistake, North were shown the door and were told that they were no longer going to be sponsored by the City of Ballarat in early 2015. They didn't even get the 2015 NAB cup gig in Ballarat, that instead went to the Bullies and the Dees (that tells you something). There was a lot of back room wheeling and dealing that went on between the Ballarat Council, the AFL and State Government. At the same time, because the Andrews government were still to confirm if they were going to develop Eureka Stadium (which wasn't announced until June 2015), it was the Tasmanian government (Tourism Tasmania) who got in first having made a very lucrative offer to the Roos. They offered the Roos 1 million per year to play three games in Hobart until 2021. The Hawks get around 1.5 million for four games in Launceston.
    Thanks for all your insights Woofer, and a great welcome to the forum.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I visited Ballarat a week ago and checked out the ground.

The gap between the large stand and the hill seemed to big for my liking, but with a score board going in there that will be addressed somewhat.

ES1.jpg

ES2.jpg

ES3.jpg

The ground really needs the second phase, without it it's been over-capitalised in my view.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Thanks bulldogtragic, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The crowds in Launceston and Hobart have been well and truly down. Aurora Stadium in 2017 has averaged 15,571 out of a capacity of 20,000 and 14,324 over four games last year. While Blundstone Arena with a capacity of 20,000 has averaged 9,411 over both of its games so far in 2017 and 15,649 over its 3 three games in 2016. (Source: http://afltables.com/afl/crowds/2017.html).

On your second point, if Eureka is built to a 15,000 capacity it is likely that the crowd will be a mix of local Bulldogs supporters, passionate Melbourne based supporters (who never miss a game regardless of where its played), and of course supporters from across the wider western Victoria (Melton - Horsham). After all for people living in the country ... "I enjoy the trek to Melbourne and negotiating city traffic" said nobody who lives in the country EVER
    I'm not sure this logic paints a correct picture.

The joint crowds in Tasmania have been pretty strong and there and there is an element of the north south divide to consider in people being prepared to drive to both venues. I also think North have done a poor job in selling Hobart to it's existing and potential members. They are clearly taking the moment and not putting enough back into it. Crowds would also be down this year based on the performances of both clubs.

At this moment our clubs strength in performance on field means that Ballarat isn't great option for it's Melbourne based members.
    11K is less than half of what we can draw against most interstate teams at Etihad. Playing a SA based side and knowing their supporters are prepared to make a weekend of it and travel is also perplexing. Given the challenges of the weather in Ballarat a stadium that isn't enclosed that also offers little coverage to a lot of members standing in the outer could lose appeal very quickly.

I get that there is a financial benefit for us and that when this was originally planned we really needed it but things have change since.
    For the venue to become something more meaningful for some members we need phase two and or three to be fast tracked.
    I know it's not the council, the state government or the clubs fault but I have some doubts it will stick with a lot of our supporters.

I'll be going but I can see many choosing to do what Andrew P6 suggests and just have an afternoon in front of the tele and we can't blame anyone for taking that option.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I think that Cairns offers equal conditions for both teams where as Ballarat for the Dogs will become what Hobart is to North Melbourne. 'A total shock to the system for visiting teams'. Eureka Stadium plays very similarly to Hobart's Blundstone Arena. The winds can be so strong at Ballarat that 90% of the scoring will happen at one end of the ground on a really bad day. Eureka Stadium is described by locals as like playing in a cyclone. It might be a bit different once the stands are all built because the wind will be largely blocked around the goals. But later this year, it will be entertaining because the South boundary is still very much open and will only be partially blocked by the new scoreboard. But at least the goals at that end of the ground are sheltered by some trees and the old scoreboard.
    We would have to play more than one game a year there to adjust ourselves. So much of the Ballarat exercise - a second familiar home ground, membership packages, replacing Cairns revenue - relies on selling more home games than we are now. That's why I'm against it. BT & Comrade are right that we should be looking to move away from selling home games, not increase the number of games we are selling
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    No doubt it has its challenges, and it would need to a number of things to occur to fully leverage the opportunity - not the least of which are we need to play more than once a year
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I just see there are multiple potential positives in growing the Ballarat link that don't exist in Cairns.
    The Cairns game is what has enabled us to play 10 games at home and only sell one
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

The crowds in Launceston and Hobart have been well and truly down. Aurora Stadium in 2017 has averaged 15,571 out of a capacity of 20,000 and 14,324 over four games last year. While Blundstone Arena with a capacity of 20,000 has averaged 9,411 over both of its games so far in 2017 and 15,649 over its 3 three games in 2016. (Source: http://afltables.com/afl/crowds/2017.html).

On your second point, if Eureka is built to a 15,000 capacity it is likely that the crowd will be a mix of local Bulldogs supporters, passionate Melbourne based supporters (who never miss a game regardless of where its played), and of course supporters from across the wider western Victoria (Melton - Horsham).
    Point taken, but we will still be a long way behind North & Hawthorn's second home membership tallies whilst we are only playing one game there. This link shows North's Tassie memberships are heavily centred on game day attendance at the multiple games they play down there

https://membership.nmfc.com.au/tasmania-memberships-1

After all for people living in the country ... "I enjoy the trek to Melbourne and negotiating city traffic" said nobody who lives in the country EVER
    Said nobody anywhere, ever

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    The western corridor of Melbourne is the fastest growing region in Australia and is a cornerstone of our own growth strategy. It won't be long before Ballarat (which itself is growing rapidly) is joined to the western corridor. This represents a fantastic opportunity to grow our supporter base incrementally and establish an exclusive 2nd home in a growing market that is already footy mad. I love it and I hope we continue to nurture this relationship and market.
    Are you happy driving out to Ballarat and back to go to the game, or potentially not getting a ticket at all to a ground with an 11,000 capacity? Or committing to more games away from Etihad to help build the case for the capacity to be improved?

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

North wanted it redeveloped to a 25,000 capacity, without that commitment they chose Tassie. They did have commitment from John Brumby in the 2010 state election, but Ted Baillieu got in

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/5...he-way-brumby/
    http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/5...-for-ballarat/

We're doing all this community work with only an 11,000 capacity signed off. Melbourne-based supporters will sell that out and prevent the locals from getting a ticket

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

For all the dollars and cents of it all, let's not forget the valuable symbolism of it. I agree that 11k is too small and I hate that I may miss out on seeing the Dogs play a Vic home game for the first time in several seasons.

However the symbolism and goodwill available, as well as the synergy of the club moving further into the Western Victorian corridor brings value. It makes sense of the name change to the Western Bulldogs, as well as stamping the territory as one that we now represent. Perhaps a few families from places like Camperdown, Colac, Stawell, Ararat, Horsham, Portland, Hamilton etc. might make the trip and appreciate the little bit of convenience-cum-accessibility.

Hopefully in future they can increase the capacity and make it a bit of a carnival type atmosphere. Terraced embankments would be enough. It should have more of a country feel. But you've gotta start somewhere!

12. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We really do like to confuse our members.

On the members page it has a heading

"Going to Ballarat"

so clearly to me that means people from Melbourne going to Ballarat. It costs $75 which I thought was absurd.

But clicking on it we see the following note

^To be eligible for a Ballarat membership members must permanently reside in the following regions; Ballarat, Pyrenees, Ararat, Horsham, Southern Grampians, and the Northern Grampians

So really the heading should say

"From Ballarat"

Also we put out an announcement like this and tell members to buy tickets yet they still haven't announced when tickets go on sale....

14. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Might suit our goalkicking
    At least we're not alone on the shit goal kicking front, I think that the standard of kicking across the AFL has gone down hill over the last five or six years. Has anybody else noticed?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    We really do like to confuse our members.

On the members page it has a heading

"Going to Ballarat"

so clearly to me that means people from Melbourne going to Ballarat. It costs $75 which I thought was absurd.

But clicking on it we see the following note

^To be eligible for a Ballarat membership members must permanently reside in the following regions; Ballarat, Pyrenees, Ararat, Horsham, Southern Grampians, and the Northern Grampians

So really the heading should say

"From Ballarat"

Also we put out an announcement like this and tell members to buy tickets yet they still haven't announced when tickets go on sale....
    I agree, it's been poorly promoted. For people from Melbourne $75 should also include free VLine travel to Ballarat Station and coach/bus transfer to Eureka Stadium.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    For all the dollars and cents of it all, let's not forget the valuable symbolism of it. I agree that 11k is too small and I hate that I may miss out on seeing the Dogs play a Vic home game for the first time in several seasons.

However the symbolism and goodwill available, as well as the synergy of the club moving further into the Western Victorian corridor brings value. It makes sense of the name change to the Western Bulldogs, as well as stamping the territory as one that we now represent. Perhaps a few families from places like Camperdown, Colac, Stawell, Ararat, Horsham, Portland, Hamilton etc. might make the trip and appreciate the little bit of convenience-cum-accessibility.

Hopefully in future they can increase the capacity and make it a bit of a carnival type atmosphere. Terraced embankments would be enough. It should have more of a country feel. But you've gotta start somewhere!
    Well it's a nice way for the Dogs to mark their territory ...

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, it's been poorly promoted. For people from Melbourne $75 should also include free VLine travel to Ballarat Station and coach/bus transfer to Eureka Stadium.
    Combined with promising our Premiership team to visit Ballarat on their Mad Monday after the GF (& very obviously couldn't go), I wonder who the hell is managing our PR with Ballarat and then why they have a job still. You get once chance to make a good first impression to existing and new members. We don't seem to understand it very well.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023