Thanks Thanks:  31
Likes Likes:  42
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs hope Ballarat clash persuades state government to boost Eureka Stadium’s capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Good point. Ballarat will effectively be the the outer western region of Melbourne eventually with the fast rail and the improvements to the highway. That gives us a huge catchment area for support if we play our cards right.
    Fingers crossed (for my sake) house prices sky rocket in Ballarat during this time
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs hope Ballarat clash persuades state government to boost Eureka Stadium’s capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    We've been shithouse at Etihad most games this season - even West Coke beat us there. Conversely we're unbeaten at the MCG for the last 2 years, so playing in the elements really seems to suit us.

Imagine how damaging Dixon and Ryder would have been in pristine conditions under the roof today.
    Good point. We would have been torched on a faster track, and their talls would have had an even bigger field day under the roof (if that's even possible).

Playing the game at Ballarat didn't cost us 4 points, the crowd didn't cost us 4 points. Playing crap cost us 4 points.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Back to the venue I have to say I was a bit disappointed. The seating is small and cramped compared to other grounds with little leg room. It certainly doesn't help when so many fans want to take their seat 2 or 3 minutes into the quarter and then get a jump on the queues 2 or 3 minutes before the quarter ends. The section I was in was constantly performing a lame Mexican wave type effort letting people through.

Parking wasn't adequate and I'm told the shuttle buses weren't that quick. People coming off the train waited a while for the buses to move

The positives were the view is great you feel right up close, the surface looked perfect however, many of our players were falling over particularly in the first quarter so it must have been dewy or we had the wrong boots on.

The city seems to have embraced it which is a massive positive and I can't fault the staff and effort that went into organising the day.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Parking wasn't adequate and I'm told the shuttle buses weren't that quick. People coming off the train waited a while for the buses to move

The positives were the view is great you feel right up close, the surface looked perfect however, many of our players were falling over particularly in the first quarter so it must have been dewy or we had the wrong boots on.

The city seems to have embraced it which is a massive positive and I can't fault the staff and effort that went into organising the day.
    You'd almost think it was the first time the venue held an official AFL game, with plenty of positives and some areas to improve.

5. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It was an enjoyable day apart from the result. The ground looked a picture. The sound system worked better than Etihad where in our section it is impossible to hear interviews or even the song. It was magnificent seeing the red white and blue everywhere and hardy souls in the outer with their picnic rugs and blankets.

I don't believe we would have won at Etihad. This is where we are at right now - it's now too apparent over the entire season wherever we've played that for a whole host of reasons - some obvious, some less so - we don't have the same fanatical hunger, our match tactics and selections don't seem to have hit the mark, key players have been inconsistent or injured, and our skill level has dropped alarmingly. The players that missed the flag but could have given us that 10% improvement to cover for the slow form decline of our veterans - Jong, Crameri, Redpath, Wallis - haven't been able to do so. 2017 has been a bust. Roll on 2018.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    It was an enjoyable day apart from the result. The ground looked a picture. The sound system worked better than Etihad where in our section it is impossible to hear interviews or even the song. It was magnificent seeing the red white and blue everywhere and hardy souls in the outer with their picnic rugs and blankets.

I don't believe we would have won at Etihad. This is where we are at right now - it's now too apparent over the entire season wherever we've played that for a whole host of reasons - some obvious, some less so - we don't have the same fanatical hunger, our match tactics and selections don't seem to have hit the mark, key players have been inconsistent or injured, and our skill level has dropped alarmingly. The players that missed the flag but could have given us that 10% improvement to cover for the slow form decline of our veterans - Jong, Crameri, Redpath, Wallis - haven't been able to do so. 2017 has been a bust. Roll on 2018.
    The reason we lost yesterday was when the game was there to be won (remember scores level with 5 minutes to go), there was no one to take hold of the game and be a hero. The Bont was way down yesterday and he is usually the one to take hold and do it for us. We also made some crucial errors that gifted Ryder and Dixon the ball. These were from the kick out. Why would you kick the ball straight to Ryder.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Back to the venue I have to say I was a bit disappointed. The seating is small and cramped compared to other grounds with little leg room. It certainly doesn't help when so many fans want to take their seat 2 or 3 minutes into the quarter and then get a jump on the queues 2 or 3 minutes before the quarter ends. The section I was in was constantly performing a lame Mexican wave type effort letting people through.

Yes parking was inadequate, but the city did a great job to have the parkn ride facilities. I drove out to the BWEZ area on the ring rd, and there was massive parking available. The buses were there ready when I arrived, and took off pretty much straight away, and after the game the buses were there at the ground to pick us up. I will say, the architects, like at Etihad, and MCG southern stand, don't know how to design a big enough toilet.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Was speaking to my mate today who went up to Ballarat yesterday. Said he enjoyed the game day experience although like all of us the result in the game not so good in the end. The beers he said were in cans not plastic cups and that it was very much like just going to local footy ground except with a bigger crowd. The crowd number he said was good with many Doggies fans making the trips and locals going as well.

One thing he said is that we need to get used to playing on the ground a bit more and playing in those type of conditions different to Etihad. We train in them a lot at Whitten Oval but don't actually play much in wet and windy conditions which I think is important.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

10. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have played 3 games there now and haven't won one.
    Admittedly two practice matches but it might be a ground that doesn't suit us . Are the dimensions similar to Etihad ? We know the conditions aren't but training at Whitten oval would be the closest you would get in that respect.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Admittedly two practice matches but it might be a ground that doesn't suit us . Are the dimensions similar to Etihad ? We know the conditions aren't but training at Whitten oval would be the closest you would get in that respect.
    Yes they said on the TV coverage on Saturday that the ground dimensions are pretty much the same as Etihad. Whitten Oval training and any games we play at the MCG when it rains is the closest we get to that.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    During the redevelopment, they changed the configuration to be the same as Etihad.

Post Thanks / Like

The best thing about going to Ballarat (as it turned out), was having a meal at Catfish. Great restaurant and highly recommended.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The best thing about going to Ballarat (as it turned out), was having a meal at Catfish. Great restaurant and highly recommended.
    Yep, probably the best restaurant in the region. The town overall has definitely upped it's food game over the past few years.

Post Thanks / Like

Really enjoyed the day out with a fellow Bulldog die hard. We were in the outer and it reminded me of the outer at Cazaly Stadium a few weeks back in respect of to having a picnic atmosphere - with the obvious exception of warmer weather. Like someone mentioned above, the atmosphere in the outer was like a local game and was something I really enjoyed.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

That's an honest appraisal, the Council are studying everything from the Live Site which was under patronised to aerial footage to look at how roads were used and where people parked. We would expect the next game to be a little slicker in terms of logistics and they will build on the strengths and improve on the weaknesses.