Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Everitt to forward line PLEASE

Quote Originally Posted by jerry View Post
    I have been speaking positively about Malcolm Lynch and Cameron Wight. I dont get all excited because i see a pick of Everitt on big footy and think he is the next Carey.
    I think my comments are warranted
    Nobody mentioned a picture of Everitt at all or Wayne Carey - nobody is making any such comparison except yourself.

When we drafted him i was already thinking CHF/FF in the making. Alas he has been played as a defender/flanker. Fair enough, its a good role to learn the game and he isn't big enough yet to play CHF. But in my opinion he's the perfect candidate for the forward line and I've listed my reasons why. (I also think he's a better prospect then Tiller, Skipper or Williams who have all been touted for forward line roles)

Post Thanks / Like

I have been speaking positively about Malcolm Lynch and Cameron Wight. I dont get all excited because i see a pick of Everitt on big footy and think he is the next Carey.
    I think my comments are warranted
    But that isn't being said here so how about just commenting on what the people on WOOF are actually saying. Leave BF for BF.
    Despite the negativity you are putting on him he had an excellent first up season and probably exceeded the expectations of most. The challenge now is how does he overcome the second year blues that on occasions brings promising players back to the field a bit.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    But that isn't being said here so how about just commenting on what the people on WOOF are actually saying. Leave BF for BF.
    Despite the negativity you are putting on him he had an excellent first up season and probably exceeded the expectations of most. The challenge now is how does he overcome the second year blues that on occasions brings promising players back to the field a bit.
    Turn it up! I said a couple of running goals he kicked were mungrels. I think he will be a very good player. I was just disagreeing about his 'set shot vs running shot'. The kid is a lovely kick either way. Lets not get to precious in this forum

Post Thanks / Like

Turn it up! I said a couple of running goals he kicked were mungrels. I think he will be a very good player. I was just disagreeing about his 'set shot vs running shot'. The kid is a lovely kick either way. Lets not get to precious in this forum
    I think you need to turn it up. It's as simple as don't quote BF as the reason for your frustration on comments about Everitt.

Regarding the highlighted, no one is being precious so get back to the subject at hand or stay away. If you want to discuss the direction or the rules of the board then send me a message.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The goals on the run I saw him kick were from 55m and went through half post high. Didn't look like mongrels to me.

Post Thanks / Like

If McDougall came good this season (giant if) then Harris, Williams, McDougall, Everitt, Morris and Hargrave can't all play in the backline. Everitt looks most likely out of that lot to go forward.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Seems such along time ago people were calling for Scott Clayton's head when we drafted Everitt & not Sellar.
    Funny about that hey TCD.....
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Seems such along time ago people were calling for Scott Clayton's head when we drafted Everitt & not Sellar.
    I never really understood why we drafted this defender named Everitt but if he turns out to be a good forward it won't mater what Sellar does.

Post Thanks / Like

We've had one of the worst defences for god knows how many years,
    i don't see the logic of sending every good defender we have up forward.

In my mind we fell when we really fell apart this year it was because we lost our 3 prolific running defenders/playmakers (gilbee, mcmahon and griffen)

without them we were like chickens with our heads cut off.

Everitt did an admirable job back there considering his lack of experience, and was a standout.

I don't see everitt as a big pack marker, his big skills are his ability to run and carry, and his precise kicking skills (gee sounds like gilbee!!!) I think putting him up forward would stifle his real strengths.

Sure maybe one day if he shows some ability to take a grab and builds up a lot more strength he may be an option there but for now his ideal spot is the back flank.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    We've had one of the worst defences for god knows how many years,
    i don't see the logic of sending every good defender we have up forward.

In my mind we fell when we really fell apart this year it was because we lost our 3 prolific running defenders/playmakers (gilbee, mcmahon and griffen)

without them we were like chickens with our heads cut off.

Everitt did an admirable job back there considering his lack of experience, and was a standout.

I don't see everitt as a big pack marker, his big skills are his ability to run and carry, and his precise kicking skills (gee sounds like gilbee!!!) I think putting him up forward would stifle his real strengths.

Sure maybe one day if he shows some ability to take a grab and builds up a lot more strength he may be an option there but for now his ideal spot is the back flank.
    That is actually a very good point. I've not seen him take a contested mark yet and if he can't do that then he might as well be Johnno 2

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen Everitt take two fantastic contested pack marks, I can't quite remember which games. One may have been in his first, the Port Adelaide one? Anyhow, I certainly recall him taking two strong grabs. His hands - IMO - are sticky, and he's got a nice leap too.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    The goals on the run I saw him kick were from 55m and went through half post high. Didn't look like mongrels to me.
    I must have been out having a cup of tea at the time

Seriously though, I have no problem with him going forward occasionally but his body isn't ready to play key forward consistently just yet. It's one thing to come from the back and the side of packs to go for your grabs...it's another thing to have big defenders colliding with you every time you contest a mark from in front.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Seriously though, I have no problem with him going forward occasionally but his body isn't ready to play key forward consistently just yet. It's one thing to come from the back and the side of packs to go for your grabs...it's another thing to have big defenders colliding with you every time you contest a mark from in front.
    Hammer. Nail. Head.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I've seen Everitt take two fantastic contested pack marks, I can't quite remember which games. One may have been in his first, the Port Adelaide one? Anyhow, I certainly recall him taking two strong grabs. His hands - IMO - are sticky, and he's got a nice leap too.
    They were marks as a backman though, where he is being dragged to the play. Sometimes a great defender can become a marking forward (ie Gehrig), although mostly even the best defensive marks in the league will look a little lost at FF (ie Lake).

Everitt has stated he wants to be a CHB. Grant doesn't want to be "a" forward, he wants to be "the" forward for us. I'm happy enough to let both scenarios play out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    They were marks as a backman though, where he is being dragged to the play. Sometimes a great defender can become a marking forward (ie Gehrig), although mostly even the best defensive marks in the league will look a little lost at FF (ie Lake).
    I know what you're saying, and I agree, but it at least proves that he can take a strong grab in the air. Most of the guys we've got struggle to do even that, and because he's such an adaptable/versatile player, if he worked on it he may even be able to hold down a key forward post.

Everitt has stated he wants to be a CHB. Grant doesn't want to be "a" forward, he wants to be "the" forward for us. I'm happy enough to let both scenarios play out.
    I suppose it'll be a situation that will resolve itself in time. Everitt, Williams & Grant are the three young KPPs. Harris will be our FB for a few years to come, whilst one of Everitt/Williams will become the CHB. I guess the question then becomes do you play the other (Williams or Everitt, depending who doesn't become the 'first' preferred CHB) as the third tall down back? Thus, creating a Scarlett/Harley/Egan type of defence, or do we push one of them up the field to CHF and leave Hargrave to play the third defensive tall?

So, hypothetically in years to come:

FB: Harris
    BP: Williams
    CHB: Everitt
    -------
    FF: Grant

or

FB: Harris
    BP: Hargrave
    CHB: Everitt
    -------
    CHF: Williams
    FF: Grant

At least in a few years time we should hopefully have a little bit of flexibility with our KPP's, something we've really lacked, particularly in quality.
    W00F!