Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Everitt to forward line PLEASE

I dont think that there is space in our backline for Mcdougall, if he is going to get a game I think it has to be in the forward line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sonofthewest View Post
    I dont think that there is space in our backline for Mcdougall, if he is going to get a game I think it has to be in the forward line.
    That is the reason we got him so bad luck if he wants to be a backman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Agreed.

I think there's no doubt that the club will eventually swing Everitt forward in the hope that he can nail down CHF, but I suppose the biggest question of all is when? .
    When he puts on some more muscle, he may be able to take on CHF. I believe that is the longer term plan, but for now he is still 18 going on to 19.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    That is the reason we got him so bad luck if he wants to be a backman
    I believe he won't be playing forward as he finds it hard to focus, he is better in the back line when he has a man to chase and hold down.

Post Thanks / Like

Just on the low down, I'm looking further in to the future then this season with Everitt going forward. He isn't ready yet, i think we all understand that. I just propose we give him periods up their if there isn't a match up for him down back or the game requires a bit of switching up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I guess the question then becomes do you play the other (Williams or Everitt, depending who doesn't become the 'first' preferred CHB) as the third tall down back? Thus, creating a Scarlett/Harley/Egan type of defence, or do we push one of them up the field to CHF and leave Hargrave to play the third defensive tall?

So, hypothetically in years to come:

FB: Harris
    BP: Williams
    CHB: Everitt
    -------
    FF: Grant

or

FB: Harris
    BP: Hargrave
    CHB: Everitt
    -------
    CHF: Williams
    FF: Grant

At least in a few years time we should hopefully have a little bit of flexibility with our KPP's, something we've really lacked, particularly in quality.
    Im still not convinved Williams will ever be able to play CHF - the tougest position on the ground, especially for someone without much AFL background. Then again, CHF isn't really a position these days with the zones & gameplans employed by most coaches.

Our backlien will be something like Lake FB, Williams & Everitt CHB/Tall defenders, Morris small defender, Gilbee on the no 6 forward (to give us rebound), Hargrave as the spare parts defender.

McDougall on the bench as the plan B simple because he can go forward if need be, may not be a 100% effective CHF but showed he is willing to play a role.

Going forward we will look like:
    Minson as the stay at home forward, Johnson as the main inside 50 leading forward,
    Grant slightly further out (09 & beyond), Welsh as the hard leader/bouble back into space forward for 08 at least & Murphy as the lead up assist marking forward.
    That leaves an Aker or Harbrow as small forwards depending on match ups - Aker can change with the midfield, I rate Harbrow as our best defensive forward so he can negate the opposition quarterback player.

Then we have Hahn as a spare parts man depending on the flow of the game, with Skipper still to get back to full fitness providing another option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Seriously though, I have no problem with him going forward occasionally but his body isn't ready to play key forward consistently just yet. It's one thing to come from the back and the side of packs to go for your grabs...it's another thing to have big defenders colliding with you every time you contest a mark from in front.
    I think he could handle a role as a tall forward flanker but not a key position. Everyone seems to be concerned that he will get crunched but that applies all over the ground as well. I suppose playing as a forward might increase that chance but I dont think it is done deal.
    My preference is either a back flank or wing but I thing he is good enough and big enough to handle playing in the forward line as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I just going to repeat myself again.

Ok we get it, he's not ready to play like Jon Brown yet. I'm talking in the future when he's 90kg+

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beuts2Blame View Post
    I just going to repeat myself again.

Ok we get it, he's not ready to play like Jon Brown yet. I'm talking in the future when he's 90kg+
    He'll get crunched if he tries to play like Jon Brown!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    The goals on the run I saw him kick were from 55m and went through half post high. Didn't look like mongrels to me.
    I'm with you Sockeye

Post Thanks / Like

You usually just get a gut feel for where a player is best suited and mine at the moment is that Everitt is more of a natural defender or winger. He may turn out to be that good that he can play anywhere but some guys just read the ball better from behind the ball or out on a wing. Not easy leading away from your own goal with a big bruising defender breathing down your neck. Until he shows actual signs of being a capable forward I am more inclined to factor him in as a future defender or winger.