Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Supporting from Afar

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Interested in your user name which I assume is in honour of Alan "Shorty" Daniels. If so, why did you choose it? Were you genuinely a fan of his or is it a pisstake?

I remember his first game against the blues (same day that Brad Hardie debuted). I came home raving about this bloke that had picked up a million posessions and was kicking torpedo's off one step, etc, etc. Wasn't long before I found out this bloke was one of the greatest squibs of all time. My father still reminds me how I'd declared this bloke a champion in the making.
    I think he only played for 2 seasons with us , 85-86 from memory & he wore different numbers in each season, 11 & 5.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    I think he only played for 2 seasons with us , 85-86 from memory & he wore different numbers in each season, 11 & 5.
    Yeah...he used to baulk shadows on the field.

Post Thanks / Like

I lived in Taipei from 1991 to 1996 then in Singpore to 1998. In the early 90's there was no internet and I had to rely on the short wave radio. I only got to see a couple of matches each year and missed a lot of finals, including two preliminary finals (I saw the 1998 finals series). While I was in Taipei I subscribed to inside footy which kept me up with the news. In 1993, Australia TV began broadcasting live matches and I couldn't believe it, one Saturday when I was sitting there watching a live match from Whitten Oval. I had to look out the apartment window to make sure I was still in Taipei.
    The 1995 Grandfinal was memorable as we got a few of the boys together and arranged some pies and watched the GF live.

By the time I got to Singapore in 1996, I had the internet and could get all the results etc, but Australia TV decided to broadcast matches with a two hour delay. Still got to see many doggies games, especially in 1997 and 1998 as they were travelling well. In 1997, I listened to the preliminary over the radio, had my airline tickets booked ready for the GF, the rest is history.

In all those years, I kept my membership up and made sure I helped the club (hint hint to those currently overseas).

Post Thanks / Like

Membership bought and sitting at my folks house waiting for me when I get back!

Post Thanks / Like

I moved from Brisbane to London early 07, and while the Brisbane coverage was rarely bulldogs, at least I could see footy each weekend. Over here it's not as easy, but as Fredi said, torrents, radio and forums are absolutely the life blood of the OS supporter. Training updates etc, I'm so much better informed than I was a few years ago (before I found BF surfing the net one summer at work when there was absolutely nothing happening).

Hey Fredi - what's the go with the pound?? Need it to lift against the Aussie!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I moved from Brisbane to London early 07, and while the Brisbane coverage was rarely bulldogs, at least I could see footy each weekend. Over here it's not as easy, but as Fredi said, torrents, radio and forums are absolutely the life blood of the OS supporter. Training updates etc, I'm so much better informed than I was a few years ago (before I found BF surfing the net one summer at work when there was absolutely nothing happening).

Hey Fredi - what's the go with the pound?? Need it to lift against the Aussie!!
    Pray for an interest rate cut in Australia and you'll get your wish!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Don't hold your breath

Post Thanks / Like

I can hardly believe that I have been away from Melbourne for almost eight years now. I will always be grateful to Al Gore for inventing the Internets , for without it, I'm sure my interest in the Doggies and all things Australian would not be as keen as it still remains.

I began posting on the old Bulldogs site back with some of you in 2000 I believe, the year I left Melbourne. After that site ended I was told about BF and that's where I met most of you beginning in April 2001. I was able to listen to the footy over the AFL site that year for free I think and the next year it cost $19.95 or so. Fox SportsWorld here began televising some matches every week in 2003 I believe so we switched to digital cable to get that station. It only lasted two years and then went to full time soccer. A dish network did pick up the footy, but I've stuck with cable, so a lovely Aussie woman in Detroit Michigan began recording the matches for me every week and sending me the tapes every few weeks during the season. I listen to most matches over the AFL site except the time of night matches is almost impossible to listen to every week since they start at 4.30am my time.

Thanks to the incentive of the radio gig I did on 774 ABC for two years, I spent much more time researching matches, players, etc. I spent hours reading everything I could every week and printing out team lists, tipping pages from the H/S and Age and a couple of footy sites. I have over a ream of printed material just from last season alone. I also spent time preparing my caustic comments for the radio show. I'm sure some Richmond supporters who listened last year when I tipped against them every single week would love to meet me.

Having sites like this one, the online newspapers and watching tapes of the matches is fine, but I began feeling far more distanced from the action by not being there last year. I just mentioned in another thread that I hoped to journey to Melbourne some time this year. (April seemed to be the best time to come - yeah.. Richmond and West Coast.) However, it looks like I won't be able to afford it. I do have to re-enter Australia by April 2, 2009, so I'll be back some time before then. If only the footy was played in summer. I'd spend all of my next Northern Hemisphere winter in Melbourne. Hmmm... a Boxing Day Western Bulldogs/Richmond match at the MCG would be heaven!
    47 year Doggie member

I'm home...

Post Thanks / Like

I always liked Shorty at Claremont. Unfortunately he never showed his best for Footscray but that was mainly due to injury.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shorty View Post
    I always liked Shorty at Claremont. Unfortunately he never showed his best for Footscray but that was mainly due to injury.
    Is being scared of the dark an injury??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago1 View Post
    Thanks to the incentive of the radio gig I did on 774 ABC for two years, I spent much more time researching matches, players, etc.
    I use to hear your tips on a Friday, I always wondered what time it was in Chicago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    So you're essentially saying, hold onto the pounds for 18months and hopefully things will turn? hehe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Is being scared of the dark an injury??
    Oh you mean like Rick Kennedy cowering from Plugger?

Backed into a few VFL packs in the old days did you champ??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I use to hear your tips on a Friday, I always wondered what time it was in Chicago.
    Ah... so you were our listener. I just knew we had one! Thanks.

I usually got my call at about 2.40am Friday and was on air within five minutes. I'd listen online to the show until about 2.30am. I'd have all my notes and printed material on my kitchen table ready to go. I usually couldn't fall asleep until an hour after the broadcast. I'd sometimes get e-mail from friends listening in Melbourne, one living in Texas and from a former student of mine in Jakarta Indonesia right after the broadcast. Once he phoned me as he was going home from work.

I'm not sure if I'll be doing the show this year.
    47 year Doggie member

I'm home...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago1 View Post
    Ah... so you were our listener. I just knew we had one! Thanks.

I usually got my call at about 2.40am Friday and was on air within five minutes. I'd listen online to the show until about 2.30am. I'd have all my notes and printed material on my kitchen table ready to go. I usually couldn't fall asleep until an hour after the broadcast. I'd sometimes get e-mail from friends listening in Melbourne, one living in Texas and from a former student of mine in Jakarta Indonesia right after the broadcast. Once he phoned me as he was going home from work.

I'm not sure if I'll be doing the show this year.
    I don't like Lindy Burn so I usually don't listen any more, but if you are on, I will tune in on Fridays.