Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  60
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee: Round 10 vs St Kilda

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I reckon English will ruck more than we think.
    I've got a player I want to pot but due to the Billings precedent I'm not going to.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Will be painful footy to watch if we insist on bombing the ball to an out-numbered Stringer.

Interested to see how we use English.

Post Thanks / Like

Clever selection this week.

Saints in defence have Carlisle and Brown. With one of the very talls (English & Boyd) forward, they are a lot bigger than Nathan Brown (who the saints prefer to have play deep). It means that the Saints have to consider having Carlisle deep - which is not ideal for them. They also don't have a great match up for Stringer size or speed wise. Their preference is to have Brown deep - he'd be giving away 10 cms to English and 6 or 7 to Boyd.

I really doubt that they would play Carlisle forward, and if they do, Adams goes to him, and Morris and Wood shuffle down the line to McCartin and Membrey - which I think is fine.

I'm really excited to see English play.

As for the ruck, Longer gets some hit outs, but he just doesn't get involved around the ground. He hand 0 kicks, 5 handballs last week - and is really just a stoppage to stoppage player. Good opportunity for Boyd and English to have an impact.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Will be painful footy to watch if we insist on bombing the ball to an out-numbered Stringer.

Interested to see how we use English.
    It'll be painful. Only hope we've got is if English plays more ruck than predicted and Tom is more forward.

I'm bracing for it mate and bracing for a close game as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post

Saints in defence have Carlisle and Brown. With one of the very talls (English & Boyd) forward, they are a lot bigger than Nathan Brown (who the saints prefer to have play deep). It means that the Saints have to consider having Carlisle deep - which is not ideal for them. They also don't have a great match up for Stringer size or speed wise. Their preference is to have Brown deep - he'd be giving away 10 cms to English and 6 or 7 to Boyd.

I really doubt that they would play Carlisle forward, and if they do, Adams goes to him, and Morris and Wood shuffle down the line to McCartin and Membrey - which I think is fine.

As for the ruck, Longer gets some hit outs, but he just doesn't get involved around the ground. He hand 0 kicks, 5 handballs last week - and is really just a stoppage to stoppage player. Good opportunity for Boyd and English to have an impact.
    Nice post, you've got me feeling more confident.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yeah, my point is it's not like Cordy or Roberts were out of form prior to last week and were omitted likely due to match ups. Yet they didn't dominate at VFL level so don't get a gig. Tough love, you either knock the door or you're not in the team.
    They don't have match ups this week either.

McCartin is the saints only forward over 190cms. And Adams (or Morris) can handle him.

Post Thanks / Like

They don't have match ups this week either.

McCartin is the saints only forward over 190cms. And Adams (or Morris) can handle him.
    Roberts could handle McCartin, allowing Adams to play forward where I think we'll be one short (as I'm expecting English to be not much more than a nuisance for the Saints rather than have any real impact).
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Super keen to see how the geezer English goes.

Also Stringer is due for a big one and I reckon this will be the one. He's had a nice little rest up so it's time to kick 7.

And I'm sick of worrying about getting teams on the rebound. How about I start worrying about the other team getting us on the rebound. Cmon dog's lift!
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Roberts could handle McCartin, allowing Adams to play forward where I think we'll be one short (as I'm expecting English to be not much more than a nuisance for the Saints rather than have any real impact).
    But in the current line up, Morris could handle McCartin if we wanted Adams to go forward.
    Realistically, McCartin is young developing player, and 194cms. He's not a monster and we can afford to be aggressive with our approach to tall defenders this week. Last week's line up only gave up 7 marks inside D50, which is very very low. Compare that to the Eagles game, when Cordy and Roberts both played, and we gave up 15 marks inside 50 - I know that a lot of circumstances can contribute to this - but surely one of the contributing factors is aerobic athleticism and/or leg speed - in closing down opposition forwards on transition.

Post Thanks / Like

But in the current line up, Morris could handle McCartin if we wanted Adams to go forward.
    Realistically, McCartin is young developing player, and 194cms. He's not a monster and we can afford to be aggressive with our approach to tall defenders this week. Last week's line up only gave up 7 marks inside D50, which is very very low. Compare that to the Eagles game, when Cordy and Roberts both played, and we gave up 15 marks inside 50 - I know that a lot of circumstances can contribute to this - but surely one of the contributing factors is aerobic athleticism and/or leg speed - in closing down opposition forwards on transition.
    Those 7 marks = 7 goals.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Those 7 marks = 7 goals.
    Good thing we didn't concede 15 D50 marks then.

Post Thanks / Like

Realistically, McCartin is young developing player, and 194cms. He's not a monster and we can afford to be aggressive with our approach to tall defenders this week.
    Your logic is sound - my only counter to this is that Harry Taylor kicked 5 goals on us last week when he has looked lost without his Zimmer frame in his other 9 games this season.

Jokes aside, I like the ins as well. English and Stringer add leg speed and we are all forgetting Dickson as part of the forward mix, who will also require close attention - someone is going to get off the chain. St Kilda's backline is one of the few that we can actually benefit by going in a little smaller and nimbler (I know English is not small but he is far more nimble that both Clokey and Redders).

Feel for Clokey - he's copped some very bad press this week in his first game back from a serious injury. He did a couple of dumb things last week but the negative press has been out of proportion to his performance IMO. Don't mind him being dropped but I hope to see him back in the team running the arcs and crashing packs especially now that Crammers is gone for the season.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Ozza for a while now you've supplemented the work I've not been able to give attention to, it's much appreciated.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

14. Thanks Ozza thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At the height of my powers in A or B section amateurs I'd expect to be able to keep MCartin to a low score standing at 183cm if my colleagues sorted team defence properly. That's what will happen with all of our mid-size defenders working through his area. He's still young and trying to get his body and health issues right. He'll get there in the end, but I don't think it will be this week.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

We do have a habit of running key forwards into form. I would also like us to come out firing after a loss as well. It always seems like we are coping teams on the rebound. When are we going to rebound