Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee: Round 10 vs St Kilda

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Ins
    Roughead, McLean, Cordy, Biggs.

Outs
    Cloke/Redpath, Suckling, Webb, Smith.

This is a tough. Our depth is strong yet no one is banging the door down in the VFL to get a game in the seniors. We also have players in the seniors that aren't in great form but we know what they can do when they are at their best so we'd be hesitant to drop them. I'm glad I'm not the coach thats for sure.
    As I read the match reports, it sounded like McLean certainly did.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Outs:

Cloke; Suckling; Williams

In:

Roughead; Biggs; McLean
    Why Cloke and not Redpath?

Listening to Bevo post match I think he keeps Cloke in.
    Last edited by Mantis; 22-05-2017 at 11:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cloke made some mistakes after a layoff but at least he got near the pill. Unless it's put on a platter, Redpath is non factor. One of his goals came about because he didn't have the pace to make a contest and the Geelong bloke dropped a pudding, allowing Redders the goose from the goal square.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Why Cloke and not Redpath?

Listening to Bevo post match I think he keep Cloke in.
    Redpath was very good v West Coast with 10 marks and 3 goals. And even without getting much footy on Friday night, still kicked a couple - and will take his opportunities where Cloke won't.

Post Thanks / Like

Redpath was very good v West Coast with 10 marks and 3 goals. And even without getting much footy on Friday night, still kicked a couple - and will take his opportunities where Cloke won't.
    He missed a straight forward shot that would have kept us in the game on Friday night.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair he was gifted 2 goals against WC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    He missed a straight forward shot that would have kept us in the game on Friday night.
    Let's not be silly about this. Despite missing that shot, you would concede that Redpath is typically a reliable kick for goal....certainly more so than Cloke.

Reckon selection might come down to the opposition defenders. Both Brown and Carlisle are most comfortable wrestling their opponents. Carlisle in particular is very vulnerable against a leading forward and was exposed by Reid on the weekend. Redpath might be the better option due to the fact he is normally pretty good on the lead.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Over the journey he has been a very good kick at goal - and Cloke would charitably be described as unreliable.

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair he was gifted 2 goals against WC.
    Do they draw pictures of how you get them in the scorebook?

Getting in a position to kick easy goals is the name of the game. But we also know he can kick 50m set shot goals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Let's not be silly about this. Despite missing that shot, you would concede that Redpath is typically a reliable kick for goal....certainly more so than Cloke.

Reckon selection might come down to the opposition defenders. Both Brown and Carlisle are most comfortable wrestling their opponents. Carlisle in particular is very vulnerable against a leading forward and was exposed by Reid on the weekend. Redpath might be the better option due to the fact he is normally pretty good on the lead.
    Redpath can only do one thing. Lead and mark inside 50. His one job is to convert the very limited amount of opportunities he is able to generate for himself and he failed to do it.

Cloke can at least offer some ruck relief, can get further up field, provides more defensive pressure etc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post

Do we have any evidence that Redpath still has the ability to get separation from his opponent? Just looks a bit heavier and slower since his last injury.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok after having a think...

McLean for Webb. More versatile and safer bet in terms of offering us value throughout game.

Biggs for Suckling. Team d.

Honey for Clay. I think Honey is more versatile and suited to playing with taller forwards. Clay is more like a tall than a small in how he plays.

Roughy for Red. Hard on Red but he is too easy to rebound off. Struggles to lay a tackle.

Post Thanks / Like

Do we have any evidence that Redpath still has the ability to get separation from his opponent? Just looks a bit heavier and slower since his last injury.
    In his two games since coming back I think we've seen some samples of it but I'm not claiming he's back to his best yet. The question is whether he will ever get back to his best....but you would agree it's a bit early to make that call.

One thing we can say for certain about Cloke is that his ball use and decision making has not improved and is unlikely to. For those saying he can pinch hit in the ruck......so can Redpath....or he used to at least.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Cloke's advantage over Red is his ability to lay a tackle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Cloke's advantage over Red is his ability to lay a tackle.
    Redpath has the ability to tackle, and hurt when he does it. I remember the 2014 VFL Grand Final, and three critical tackles he laid on the defenders. I was quite close to one, thankfully with the fence for protection, and I will never forget Big Reds eyes as he lined up the unfortunate Hawks player and took him out. Scary stuff.

The question is why is this no longer a part of his game ? Is it that his mobility has been effected ?
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.