Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  89
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: This should be the last year for Murphy, MBoyd and Morris

Bob for PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm as emotional as I can remember for a retiring player. The only time it came close to today was Libba's final lap at Etihad. He is one of the few players left in the league who are older than me and therefore I was able to still idolise him like I did guys like The Hawk and Scott Wynd when I was a kid without it being too weird.

He is the embodiment of our side, the fan's, perspective of what it means to pull on the jumper. Not many players in the professional era can so firmly entrench themselves in that side of the equation and tell our story, quite like he could. Usually those types of players are battlers, the ones we see a bit of ourselves in. Bob showed us the best of us and celebrated us, warts and all. He is a terrific footballer and an even better man.

I love him.

Post Thanks / Like

I want so much a fairy tale ending to Bob's career. He has been such a wonderful part of our Club for so long - his place is assured in the panthenon of Bulldog immortals.
    I am hoping that some magical, gossamer mist will envelope our team as we run out fot the next two matches - a mist that will see them play like supermen so that we enjoy two crushing victories with which to lauch our finals campaign.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

A leader who inspired and led our club to a premiership, perhaps the most admired Captain in the AFL. Humble and sublimely skilled and right up there with the bulldog greats. If ever our crop of young blokes wanted role models for their AFL career and life, look no further than Bob Murphy, Matthew Boyd and Dale Morris, our club is truly fortunate. Good luck Bob, I hope our blokes leave nothing on the park in the next 2 weeks to get you into a finals game.......who knows what might happen then. All the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob was AA captain 18 games ago. He is a star and has been a wonderful leader in our time of need 3 years ago. Having said that, time waits for no man and unfortunately his body is starting to show signs of failing him this season.

He's still good for another 6 games
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with everyone's sentiments re Bob. He has been my absolute favorite player for all of his 18 years of playing for the WBFC. Will miss your wonderful runs and deliveries as well as goals like that one last week. All the best in retirement Bob!

Post Thanks / Like

I am still of the opinion that Morris should hang up his boots. Although he is still going strong at the moment, age will catch up to him by next year, and we need to make room and develop some of these young players down back.

With Adams coming back, and Young showing promise, we have to make room for the future of the club.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I am still of the opinion that Morris should hang up his boots. Although he is still going strong at the moment, age will catch up to him by next year, and we need to make room and develop some of these young players down back.

With Adams coming back, and Young showing promise, we have to make room for the future of the club.
    Adams of course is yet to prove if his body can hold up to the rigours of the level. Collins is yet to command a spot, Roberts is floundering, and we will lose significant experience down back with Murphy and MBoyd moving on. And hopefully the latest hamstring of Easton's is just an anomaly and not something more sinister given his history.

Moz, even by his standards, has been cruelled by extreme injuries this season, a broken leg, a broken arm, and not doubt on top of other injuries that he carries week to week. No mere mortal has anything near the courage of the man.

If there's one player I'm happy to back in for next season, IF he continues to say he wants to go on and back himself in, it's Dale although I take your point that he will need some luck to finally go his way in 2018 for his body to go the distance. And maybe he might just have a season where he's not called on each week to play above his Division, manning the opposition's most damaging forward like Gray today.

Post Thanks / Like

Our first pick is locked in between 8-10 now. Surely JMac can talk to his Adelaide opposite if Lever is on the move to us. If we are to take on Lever, then I don't think we can keep Morris and keep the list balanced. But if we're not bringing in a ready to play, maybe he can stay. But for the longer term, our young backs need games I tend to agree.

The romantic in me would love to see him leave with Bob, Keith and Hodge & Gibson.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Moz plays on. Our kids are not ready yet and even if Lever comes on board we're still thin down there. Lever is a wirey defender who takes 2nd talls at his club. I don't think he can be the #1 defender with us.

Post Thanks / Like

If we force Moz into retirement it is the earliest tank in footy history. Our defensive stocks are thin as it is - we simply need Moz as part of the group for no other reason than ensure we have sufficient cover down back with our other light bodied and injury prone key defenders.

If he doesn't get a game in 2018 due to better form of others, then great. But it is madness to leave ourselves so exposed down back. Young is the future but his last 3 games show he has a long way to go. Adams has a body thus far unable to withstsnd the rigours of AFL footy. Roberts is depth.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    If we force Moz into retirement it is the earliest tank in footy history. Our defensive stocks are thin as it is - we simply need Moz as part of the group for no other reason than ensure we have sufficient cover down back with our other light bodied and injury prone key defenders.

If he doesn't get a game in 2018 due to better form of others, then great. But it is madness to leave ourselves so exposed down back. Young is the future but his last 3 games show he has a long way to go. Adams has a body thus far unable to withstsnd the rigours of AFL footy. Roberts is depth.
    I'm not sure the club thinks that though. Giving him a two year extension this year doesn't scream 'he's depth'. Two years...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Would Lever be more of a Hamlin upgrade.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

We will see in 2018. I think I have already seen it in 2017.

I said the same about Murph and MBoyd, so do we risk a spot for a 35 year old. Easy to say he is playing well now, or age doesn't matter, but it actually does.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I can understand and respect bornadog's view for sure. There is certainly the risk that Morris' body doesn't stand up to another year.

But my personal view is that Lewis Young, Zaine Cordy and Bailey Williams will have better seasons if Morris is still on the list. I worry about losing that experience and level of instruction (both on game day and at the club) out of the backline group - noting that the younger players already mention how much instruction they get from Murphy, Boyd and Morris.