Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting more out of our current list

Came across this interesting article about the Storm - I wonder what they did?

And could it help us?

NRL grand final: How Melbourne Storm made Billy Slater even faster in his 30s

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/m...29-gyrdrz.html
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

2. Thanks ledge thanked for this post
    Likes hujsh, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting more out of our current list

There is a heap of things we can do to get more out of the playing group. I will list two below that I think can make successful teams better.

1) Learn from the All Blacks - They are one the worlds most successful teams for international sports. They have a motto of 'Sweep the Shed' and most work places and especially sporting clubs that want to achieve something great together need to come up with a similar mantra and have everyone buy in.

After every game the All Blacks have people enter the change room and celebrate (they nearly always win) with them and at a certain time the All Blacks kick everyone out and clean up the room themselves. No janitors or equipment managers tidying up after them.
    You can't be an All Black if you don't want to follow this mantra.

Slogan: 'Sweep the Shed' Meaning: Never be too big to do the small things that need to be done.

2) Work on your skills - It costs no money for dedicated players to work on improving their skills especially during the off season. It's just time and effort that will separate you from others on the list and you need to be prepared to work your arse off to stay ahead.

Slogan: 'There is no traffic when you go the extra mile' Meaning: Do what you can to become a better player
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

This thread, posted on grand final day is fabulous DR - it's why I like the board - on grand final day we are all still thinking about what our Bulldogs need to do to be back in this game

Post Thanks / Like

Here is another I believe strongly in and today is the ideal day to post it

Don’t coast on past success. It's called ‘sleeping in the trophy room’ and it’s never a good idea. How many Bulldog players, coaches and even supporters for that matter were guilty of 'sleeping in the trophy room' and dropped their focus and desire for 2017?
    Russ Rose was a long time women’s volleyball coach at Penn State who won 10 national championships and there was not one trophy on display in his office. The lesson is something we have hopefully now learned.
    'Focus on meeting today’s challenges, not yesterday’s.' 12 months on we need to clear the locker room of any references to the 2016 season and focus just on 2018.

6. Likes WBFC4FFC, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Here is another I believe strongly in and today is the ideal day to post it

Don’t coast on past success. It's called ‘sleeping in the trophy room’ and it’s never a good idea. How many Bulldog players, coaches and even supporters for that matter were guilty of 'sleeping in the trophy room' and dropped their focus and desire for 2017?
    Russ Rose was a long time women’s volleyball coach at Penn State who won 10 national championships and there was not one trophy on display in his office. The lesson is something we have hopefully now learned.
    'Focus on meeting today’s challenges, not yesterday’s.' 12 months on we need to clear the locker room of any references to the 2016 season and focus just on 2018.
    I hope that 2016 premiers sign has gone from the whitten oval then.
    Bring back the biff

8. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trent Cotchins moto for 2017 was Sweep the Shed.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Yes while I love that sign yeah we need a new focus now we'll and truly to 2018 trying our best to get back to the top.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    For one thing we are no longer the premiers.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Trent Cotchins moto for 2017 was Sweep the Shed.
    Did Richmomd replicate what the All Blacks do?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Did Richmomd replicate what the All Blacks do?
    Not sure if Richmond did, but Trent Cotchin certainly did.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    There is a heap of things we can do to get more out of the playing group. I will list two below that I think can make successful teams better.

1) Learn from the All Blacks - They are one the worlds most successful teams for international sports. They have a motto of 'Sweep the Shed' and most work places and especially sporting clubs that want to achieve something great together need to come up with a similar mantra and have everyone buy in.

After every game the All Blacks have people enter the change room and celebrate (they nearly always win) with them and at a certain time the All Blacks kick everyone out and clean up the room themselves. No janitors or equipment managers tidying up after them.
    You can't be an All Black if you don't want to follow this mantra.

Slogan: 'Sweep the Shed' Meaning: Never be too big to do the small things that need to be done.
    Love that Sweeping the Shed. Is it used much away from sport in corporates? Could see it being very useful.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I just came across another great way to improve the team, proven by the Melbourne Storm. Someone should pass this onto Bevo.

It won't be popular with younger guys here, or many of our players, but hell it makes sense. Ban ****ing mobile phones. It works!

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...28-gyqquk.html

NRL grand final: There's no I or iPhone in this Melbourne Storm team

Roy Masters
    Published: September 30 2017 - 7:00PM

Something wasn't quite right with the Storm culture in the two years following their 2012 premiership.

They went out backwards in 2013 and the following year lost 28-4 to Canterbury at home in the first week of the semi-finals.

Apart from the usual problems inevitable at any club – injuries, lack of depth in certain positions, tired players – there was a communication breakdown between the older and younger members of the squad.

Nothing serious in the sense of personal hostility, or even mutual dislike, but an absence of the gentle banter you hear in successful dressing rooms where no one needs offer a penny for another man's thoughts.

In early August of 2014, during a camp on the NSW Central Coast between two away games against Wests Tigers and Newcastle, the problem was identified.

It took some time to resolve, although the Storm's loss to the Cowboys in the 2015 preliminary final was more to do with injury in the forwards and weakness in the outside backs.

Rugby league is a war game, with its lines of attack and defence. Great armies are not built overnight, nor are communication breakdowns between its constituent parts resolved quickly.

That night in 2014 at the Storm's hotel, the Crown Plaza in Terrigal, the coaching staff noticed something bizarre at dinner. There were two tables, each of 10 players and only two players were talking to each other.

Eighteen were speaking on mobile phones, texting, scrolling through emails or using apps.

An immediate ban on the use of mobile phones at team meetings and meals was imposed, with $50 fines levied, even for a phone ringing that went unanswered.

I witnessed the result of this in June this year, on a trip from Melbourne to Sydney for a Thursday night match against the Sharks. The three days away with the Storm demonstrated how much in rugby league has changed, yet how little has changed.

The ease with which players transfer from bus to airport lounge to plane to luggage carousel to bus to team hotel is achieved with militaristic efficiency.

A Storm official hands players their boarding passes immediately they retrieve luggage and dispenses room keys at the hotel. No one waits, unlike the time wasted years ago sitting in hotel foyers while the club secretary actioned everything only on arrival.

Yet it was after the match where I was most surprised.

Given my love of a beer, the modern NRL dressing room doesn't do much for me. Soggy watermelon, grapes, nuts, raisins and kiwi fruit might be appealing to an exhausted player, but not those of the old school.

But in the visitors' dressing room at Cronulla the Eskys were rolled out and players sat about, most still in their jumpers and shorts, drinking beer. Sure, the mood was aided by a win over the Sharks and the announcement by football manager Frank Ponissi of Billy Slater's recall to the Queensland State of Origin team.

Shark Park was dark and deserted by the time everyone filed onto the bus, some two hours after the game.

A small band of supporters had waited faithfully by the bus for autographs, which were forthcoming with apologies for the late hour.

Back at the hotel, the players had dinner and then broke up into groups of about eight, playing cards and chatting.

It was then I noted the absence of mobile phones.

Captain Cameron Smith sat with the youngest players, but it seemed more by seat availability than design.

The beer continued to flow and I was the first to bed, at about 2.30am.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Well, I just came across another great way to improve the team, proven by the Melbourne Storm. Someone should pass this onto Bevo.

It won't be popular with younger guys here, or many of our players, but hell it makes sense. Ban ****ing mobile phones. It works!
    The meeting room culture in any decent business should already have this in place. We don't start a meeting without reminding everyone to have their mobile phones turned down. That and a safety reminder in the event of an evacuation are compulsory. Basically if you can't attend the meeting without checking the phone then don't come to the meeting. If you are late to a meeting without a good reason ie back to back meetings, you must apologise to everyone for not respecting their time.
    The one other thing that should be insisted on is there are to be no passengers in a meeting, everyone must participate and come prepared. To me phone etiquette is the starting point to productive meetings.