Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  89
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

This should be the last year for Murphy, MBoyd and Morris

Three ageing champions who have served the club well, but the end comes quickly.

Murphy and MBoyd will be 36 next year and Morris will be 36 at the end of next year.

We need to plan for their exit.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: This should be the last year for Murphy, MBoyd and Morris

Based on their performances so far this season;
    Boyd...definitely his last year. Webb looking to be a possible replacement. Similar leg speed but a much better kick.
    Murphy...probably his last year. Has been solid but showing signs that another season would be too much of a stretch. Has lost that explosiveness in his running and tends to glide around. Williams looking to be a likely replacement.
    Morris...probably his last year. Started the season well before being injured. Back half of the year will tell the story. Cordy and Roberts likely replacements.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Have we seen enough from Morris to make an informed decision yet? Let's see how he goes in the 2nd half of the year before we make a call on him.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not writing either Murphy or Morris off, especially Morris.

Boyd's time has come, both in terms of his own output and the fact we have other players to transition into his role.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Have we seen enough from Morris to make an informed decision yet? Let's see how he goes in the 2nd half of the year before we make a call on him.
    Agree

Post Thanks / Like

Boyd yes, the other two we can review later in the year. Bob was almost our best player last night and has not lost any of his agility and pace. Let's not look at the birth certificate and instead judge the onfield output.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

7. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Boyd yes, the other two we can review later in the year. Bob was almost our best player last night and has not lost any of his agility and pace. Let's not look at the birth certificate and instead judge the onfield output.
    Yeah, I've read a few comments about Bob's foot skills but he looked like the only one capable of slicing through Geelong's zone and hitting targets in the corridor. Tommy Porkins running him down wasn't a great look but he's not ready for the Old Yella treatment just yet.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair though, Hawkins running down Bob is symptomatic of where Bob is. He glides along without his characteristic burst of speed nowadays. Whilst his pace over 20-30m seems to be okay, it's that explosiveness over the first 10m he is now missing.....understandably.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yeah, I've read a few comments about Bob's foot skills but he looked like the only one capable of slicing through Geelong's zone and hitting targets in the corridor. Tommy Porkins running him down wasn't a great look but he's not ready for the Old Yella treatment just yet.
    We were on the receiving end of 130+ tackles - don't think any team would complete every single kick with precision on the back of that level of opposition pressure. I'd still rather the ball in Bob's hands than most of his teammates.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

11. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, way too early to make a call on Morris
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

13. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen it time and time again, players playing well in their mid 30s and bang a brick wall. I would rather do a North and pick a fresh batch of kids or a marque player from another club. To me the risk is too high to play 36 year olds next year.

Murphy in my votes last night, Morris will no doubt come good over the next few rounds. However tell me should we take the risk?
    Last edited by bornadog; 20-05-2017 at 04:14 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Murphy in my votes last night, Morris will no doubt come good over the next few rounds. However tell me should we take the risk?
    Depends.

If they are clearly better than their replacement yes.

If they are comparable with their replacement but their replacement will improve with game time probably.

If they are much better than the expected output of their replacement, keep.

Boyd and Murphy should be surpassed by Williams and Webb by the start of next year, with Lynch being a possible and Biggs another who in form is good enough.

Morris is harder. Cordy and Adams are kind of the cover, but Adams is a different style. I think if his form remains decent then he gets another year. W can afford to invest one list spot on him.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Last year for all 3 I think. The replacements are there
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

17. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Morris is harder. Cordy and Adams are kind of the cover, but Adams is a different style. I think if his form remains decent then he gets another year. W can afford to invest one list spot on him.
    It's the spot in the senior side as well as the spot on the list. If Morris went on he might be relegated to a Will Minson break in case of emergency role
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. He was playing well before his injury and he came straight back into the team friday on night without any match time to find some touch. Let's wait for a few games before we retire him.

Murph will make the right decision for the right reasons. He will know if he's right to go on.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite