Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  89
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: This should be the last year for Murphy, MBoyd and Morris

Would say Morris is most likely to continue. Hardest to replace IMO. But we'll see.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it is an interesting question. Out of the 3 MBoyd probably looks the most likely to finish up first. Bob and Dale I still think are very important but best to see at the end of the year how all 3 are going.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I have seen it time and time again, players playing well in their mid 30s and bang a brick wall. I would rather do a North and pick a fresh batch of kids or a marque player from another club. To me the risk is too high to play 36 year olds next year.

Murphy in my votes last night, Morris will no doubt come good over the next few rounds. However tell me should we take the risk?
    Agree 100% with this statement. The end comes very quick. Club has to make the hard call no matter who the player. 35 is a good innings.

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Agree 100% with this statement. The end comes very quick. Club has to make the hard call no matter who the player. 35 is a good innings.
    Yep, it is a hard call. I remember many on this board criticising the club in the past for holding on to our champions too long.

I am not saying these guys are no good, I think they are all still best 22, however, we should not be risking three spots on the list for three 36 year olds in 2018. We have to think about the future years.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen it time and time again, players playing well in their mid 30s and bang a brick wall. I would rather do a North and pick a fresh batch of kids or a marque player from another club. To me the risk is too high to play 36 year olds next year.

Murphy in my votes last night, Morris will no doubt come good over the next few rounds. However tell me should we take the risk?
    What is the risk if at the end of the season if Murphy and Morris are in our best 15 players based on performance?
    Sure players of that age can slow down quickly but we take risks on players all the time and you do need a balance of experience.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    What is the risk if at the end of the season if Murphy and Morris are in our best 15 players based on performance?
    Sure players of that age can slow down quickly but we take risks on players all the time and you do need a balance of experience.
    Biological risk
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, it is a hard call. I remember many on this board criticising the club in the past for holding on to our champions too long.

I am not saying these guys are no good, I think they are all still best 22, however, we should not be risking three spots on the list for three 36 year olds in 2018. We have to think about the future years.
    You & I will take matters into our own hands again. So same again, at training, you distract the security guard with a low cut top and I I'll commander the golf buggy. Easy.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

9. Likes Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What does baffled mean?

A couple of weeks ago against the Giants, Greene was tearing us apart and Murphy had to go back and settle him down (which he did). That same game, he was the ONLY player who recognised both the state of the game AND showed an understanding of what to do - run the lines with the footy (which he did under immense pressure) and hit a target inside 50.

When he was out of the side vs West Coast, we are +20 for i50's but all we could do late in a close game is bomb the ball forward to - well, I would say no-one but since McGovern, Barrass and Yeo marked every kick let's say them.

Again on Friday, sure, Hawkins ran him down but 'dems the breaks...if you understand the need to run and break a line to kick through a press then you are going to get run down from time-to-time. Plus, he actually kicked it. And showed good humour about it after the game rather than blaming umpires. And despite laughing it off, how a key forward (who has elite 20m speed) is cruising around putting on pressure in a crowded defensive zone without someone sticking an elbow in his chest is a question for the rest of the group.

I wouldn't be retiring these guys if they want to keep going. And if they are playing the same standard of footy in 2018, they will be pretty darn handy...suggesting that Williams, Webb, Dale, Roberts et al are ready to step in now is fanciful...those guys can do it for 15 minutes at a time but the season is a grind and I don't have faith from contest to contest, let alone from game to game right at the moment.

Players are a long time retired...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Baffled from Highlander?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't get the Bob retirement calls. He is playing really well. Why not just retire anyone over 30 then?

13. Likes Sedat, AndrewP6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I really don't get the Bob retirement calls. He is playing really well. Why not just retire anyone over 30 then?
    I don't get it, some people are way to quick to write players off looking closer at their birth certificate than their displayed form. Matthew Boyd has struggled, Murphy has been good and and Morris injured. At the moment it's only Boyd who has a question mark against his name and it really comes down to how the MC manages it.

There is no hurry to make a call yet
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

15. Likes Sedat, Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

M Boyd has not had ideal preparation. The injury to his ear which led to him wearing a helmet was likened to a dog bite - nasty. And he suffered a really awful sickening knee to the head in the Richmond match. I was amazed that he returned to the field. It might well be that age is indeed catching up with MBoyd and this should be his last year but given his career and his great year in 2016 - right now we should also take into account that there are other factors affecting his form.

It's true that it is so hard to call time on champions. I hate the prospect. Yet more motivation to win the 2017 flag so the three warriors can go out their own way.

Post Thanks / Like

The call North has made is not looking too bad. Some of those guys would not be playing if Harvey & co were still around. You also run the risk of losing players you have brought through the system because of lack of opportunities. Sometimes a hard call needs to be made. Not many retire on their own terms as where would they get $300 - $400k in their next job.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's too early to call, but there are certainly signs that the end is coming for Murph. However, we don't need him to be a top 5 player anymore and he hasn't lost his agility. His skill level is slightly down, but the same can be said for 90% of the team.

Happy to wait on Murph, happy to wait on Morris.

Boyd looks done to me and I'd rather we develop Williams.

Post Thanks / Like

None of them are 'done' yet and all should be judged at the end of the season.
    I'm paying money, the girl's happy, she's got no money, I got my rocks off, how good is this...