Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  89
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: This should be the last year for Murphy, MBoyd and Morris

I think if Bob's hammy goes again he'll finish up at the end of the year .
    Reckon Morris (fingers crossed, and toes) can go another 12 months . Bit to play out though .
    M. Boyd will be the most likely of the three to go

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I think if Bob's hammy goes again he'll finish up at the end of the year .
    Reckon Morris (fingers crossed, and toes) can go another 12 months . Bit to play out though .
    M. Boyd will be the most likely of the three to go
    Agree 100% Remi.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

How is the assessment now? Do we want to give a contract to any of the three players turning 36 next year?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

If we land Lever, then I'm no for all 3. If we don't land a mature KPD then Morris may be depth.

The kids are ok.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    How is the assessment now? Do we want to give a contract to any of the three players turning 36 next year?
    Forget the age, it's the form that counts.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Morris the only one. But I am seeing enough bits in his game that suggest the time is just about right to hang them up too. We are so light on for a replacement for him though, so he should get the benefit of the doubt, if there is any. He has been an incredible player for us and regardless of output, his effort has not dropped an inch since debut.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Forget the age, it's the form that counts.
    Age has a lot to do with it. Players hit a wall at a certain age (everyone is different) and what I am saying is do we want to take the risk and deny other players a spot in the team or are you happy to give contracts to players hitting 36? There is a reason why no one else is playing at that age in the whole AFL. Murphy is the oldest player.

All three players are starting to look old, although I think Murphy is still not too bad. Played a shocker today but hasn't played much for the past 6 weeks.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Age has a lot to do with it. Players hit a wall at a certain age (everyone is different) and what I am saying is do we want to take the risk and deny other players a spot in the team or are you happy to give contracts to players hitting 36? There is a reason why no one else is playing at that age in the whole AFL. Murphy is the oldest player.

All three players are starting to look old, although I think Murphy is still not too bad. Played a shocker today but hasn't played much for the past 6 weeks.
    Players have been injured and have probably been working through that. Rather than quoting their age again and again just look at their displayed form and by the end of the season make an informed decision.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

10. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Moyd is gone you'd have to say.
    Murphy I'd be leaning to being gone, he still does some good things but is having little impact.
    Morris probably 50/50 for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Still think all 3 are gone.

Morris I give some hope to after yesterday - the next few weeks will be telling - but as noted above we may need him to go on purely due to light coverage.

Boyd has been a great warrior but it's time.

Murphy forever a club legend, but it's certainly time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

Morris I give some hope to after yesterday - the next few weeks will be telling - but as noted above we may need him to go on purely due to light coverage.

Morris was much better yesterday but we played a pretty poor side to be fair.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Boyd is done. His form isn't god enough and his spot has multiple players lining up to take it.

Murphy is declining and considering he is currently playing only every secon week due to injury I would suggest he is done. Harder to replace but there are prospects that have similar attributes.

Morris could potentially play on, although he is declining. Not sure we have a readymade replacement but we are going to have to do it sooner rathe rthan later and I don't want to see him dropped, which I think would happen at some point next year.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

The thing with their age is continuity - recovering from week to week gets harder and harder, you're carrying sore spots into games and getting injured pretty easily. Then you can't train at 100% whilst injured and it takes a while to build your strength and fitness back up again

Their best is still good enough, but you have to question how often we would see it beyond 2017 for all 3
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

Agreed. The end comes quickly and the game is just too quick no matter who you are. No one wants to retire and if the players don't make the decision then the club needs to. If they play on we will only be saying the same in 12 months time. The time is right. You would be surprised out of the young guys who steps up when they get responsibility.

17. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think time's come for all 3. M Boyd is outside the best 22 at the moment, I'd say Murph is as well based on what he's bringing to the table.

Morris is hanging on with nous and all the old tricks of a defensive veteran but I think that little athletic edge he had is fading. He always had that unexpected little burst of speed or vertical leap that helped him go with the best forwards.

We've got the replacements for Murph and Boyd, Morris will be tougher but I think Collins has put together a pretty decent season and is next to be called upon.