Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  89
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: This should be the last year for Murphy, MBoyd and Morris

I thought Murphy's demeanour looked quite down on the weekend, like he was playing injured and he knew it wasn't going to be positive for him.

Wouldn't surprise me if he misses again this week, whether that is resting or for injury I don't know but I doubt he'll fly up to cairns.
    I think Boyd and Murphy will not play next year at this rate, Morris is playing most games and is still a key member of that defence. If he's up for it I think he'll go again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    I thought Murphy's demeanour looked quite down on the weekend, like he was playing injured and he knew it wasn't going to be positive for him.

Wouldn't surprise me if he misses again this week, whether that is resting or for injury I don't know but I doubt he'll fly up to cairns.
    I think Boyd and Murphy will not play next year at this rate, Morris is playing most games and is still a key member of that defence. If he's up for it I think he'll go again.
    Murph has looked a bit , I don't know, askance or even upset over the last few weeks. He looked particularly apprehensive sitting in the box before a game a few weeks ago, he was fidgety and even a little grim and annoyed looking-very un-Bob Murphy like. I guess he was missing the game through injury and the boys were about to run out so he would be feeling it right then and there.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Murph has looked a bit , I don't know, askance or even upset over the last few weeks. He looked particularly apprehensive sitting in the box before a game a few weeks ago, he was fidgety and even a little grim and annoyed looking-very un-Bob Murphy like. I guess he was missing the game through injury and the boys were about to run out so he would be feeling it right then and there.
    I totally agree. He hasn't looked as though he's enjoyed this year at all. He's lost that twinkle in the eye. Maybe he's been surprised at how difficult it's been, mentally and physically to come back. I think we all underestimated it - I just had this rosy image of him slotting back in, the same old Bob, making our premiership team even stronger.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo presser today bought up M Boyd and Murphy being two they needed to discuss their future , from that I gather Morris will still be around next year.
    M boyd I could see going again but it's his achillies and we all know what that did to Johnno in his final year.
    Both are struggling with niggling injuries this year which is not a good sign.
    Would be brilliant if we could keep them playing at Footscray though and teaching the kids the game.
    Wonder if either would be looked at in coaching roles. I'm not sure our mid coach and forward coach are working together and getting it right. Could either of them come in and take over ?
    Bring back the biff

5. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Bevo presser today bought up M Boyd and Murphy being two they needed to discuss their future , from that I gather Morris will still be around next year.
    M boyd I could see going again but it's his achillies and we all know what that did to Johnno in his final year.
    Both are struggling with niggling injuries this year which is not a good sign.
    Would be brilliant if we could keep them playing at Footscray though and teaching the kids the game.
    Wonder if either would be looked at in coaching roles. I'm not sure our mid coach and forward coach are working together and getting it right. Could either of them come in and take over ?
    I reckon Keithy has been a bit ordinary. Can't see him playing again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I reckon Keithy has been a bit ordinary. Can't see him playing again.
    Yep. That old saying something about 'retire while people want to stay', which would've been great last year on his own terms on the highest peak. Now it's not his call, or even a close call.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yep. That old saying something about 'retire while people want to stay', which would've been great last year on his own terms on the highest peak. Now it's not his call, or even a close call.

List spots are really valuable. We can't be handing them out on sentimentality.

Post Thanks / Like

Good thing is that there is still another 6 plus weeks to gauge where we're at.

Dale I believe should go again. He offers great experience for what will still be a largely undeveloped backline, as attested by Lewis Young in his post match praise of Moz, whilst also offering a hardened big body back up for 2018. For me, somewhat of a no brainer and may also be how Bevo is thinking given that I've only really heard him reference 'talks with Bob and Matthew will continue'. He's also expressed a desire to keep going.

Bob and Matthew are a bit more expendable assuming Moz stays on for what he can fill in leadership and experience.

I'm not convinced as yet that either Bob and Matthew should be seen as givens to depart but reasonable to assume that at least one of the two will need to be moved to effectively maintain our list. What is working against both right now are soft tissue injuries. If these type of injuries continue for the remainder of the season unfortunately the decision will be made more simple.

10. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Murphy is joining M Boyd in the 'No' Column for next year.

As hard-working as Morris is, and as much as he's still defending well, there's this niggling doubt inside me about whether he should go on in 2018.

It kills me to say it, especially after his courage in September, but I think the drop-off, when it comes, will be catastrophic for Dale, that is, he'll drop off very suddenly and very sharply.

And the last thing a champion like Dale Morris deserves is an undignified send-off.

It killed me that Lindsay Gilbee and Ryan Hargrave's departures from the club came not in the form of a farewell game, but being applauded off the track after their last training session. Even Simon Garlick and Matthew Croft weren't meant to get farewell games.

There would be no more fitting picture at the end of our season (whenever that happens to be), than for all three to be carried off the field together, whether they play together in our last game or not.

Post Thanks / Like

If we're not chance of making finals come round 23, then yes, a farewell game is in order for those fit enough to play.

If we're playing finals then farewell games as a gesture become irrelevant.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Good thing is that there is still another 6 plus weeks to gauge where we're at.

Dale I believe should go again. He offers great experience for what will still be a largely undeveloped backline, as attested by Lewis Young in his post match praise of Moz, whilst also offering a hardened big body back up for 2018. For me, somewhat of a no brainer and may also be how Bevo is thinking given that I've only really heard him reference 'talks with Bob and Matthew will continue'. He's also expressed a desire to keep going.

Bob and Matthew are a bit more expendable assuming Moz stays on for what he can fill in leadership and experience.

I'm not convinced as yet that either Bob and Matthew should be seen as givens to depart but reasonable to assume that at least one of the two will need to be moved to effectively maintain our list. What is working against both right now are soft tissue injuries. If these type of injuries continue for the remainder of the season unfortunately the decision will be made more simple.
    The thing with Morris is that he debuted as a 22yo so he has less miles on the clock. He's had his fair share of injuries but they have been impact-based because of his crazy bravery - hasn't had many soft tissue injuries from memory. I'd be giving him another 12 months.

Happy to review Bob and Boydy at the end of our season. Reckon Boydy is up against it based on form and injuries. Bob has been in perfectly decent form but the soft tissue injuries have been adding up.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

I think we need a bit of a refresh in the assistant coach department. I'd be looking at moving one of Gia, Hansen or King on and offering Bob a spot. I like Joel Corey and think he has a wonderful relationship with the players. Bubba stays as well.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    The thing with Morris is that he debuted as a 22yo so he has less miles on the clock. He's had his fair share of injuries but they have been impact-based because of his crazy bravery - hasn't had many soft tissue injuries from memory. I'd be giving him another 12 months.

Happy to review Bob and Boydy at the end of our season. Reckon Boydy is up against it based on form and injuries. Bob has been in perfectly decent form but the soft tissue injuries have been adding up.
    About right . Just see Dale as the only one to keep going .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    About right . Just see Dale as the only one to keep going .
    I can already see that Dale is not what he use to be. Time is catching up and he is playing like an old man. Still does some great things as he is experienced, and is helping mentor guys like Young but at the same time I have seen him cost us a few goals over the past few weeks. Something he never did in the past. I hate to see these guys leave but we need to make the hard call.

I would like a refresh next year with 3 new players coming in to replace Bob, Matt and Dale.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I've generally thought that Murphy wouldn't want to play on next year, but if he does, I'm in no hurry to move him on. He's been close to our best player in a number of games, can make our forward line seem functional (which few others can do), and is still a pretty vital leader in my opinion.

Yes he's had a couple of injuries of late and was not great in his return last week, but I see those as possibly related to coming back from the knee injury.

We'll have the second youngest list in the comp next year if these three retire. Matthew Boyd has clearly been struggling, and our reliance on Morris has meant that we might have played him when he was better rested, but he's still a vital presence down back.

If we think this team can contend next year then there is no need in my opinion to rush the loss of our oldest players. We only have 3 of them, are still incredibly young. Extra youths are less likely to contribute than Morris or Murphy, so unless you think they are tying up money which could otherwise bring in free agents (and I don't), then I'm happy to risk having them stay on a year too long.
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will