Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hawthorn 2009 > Western Bulldogs 2017

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think we are a mile off the side that got 15 wins in the home and away season and then put together a faultless finals series.
    We can stare into the eyes of the coaches and ask if they were demanding enough of players returning from holidays and ask were they happy with what they saw?

We can ask the hard question of the list managers and see why we started 2017 with a weaker team than what we finished 2016 with?

We should certainly ask questions around player development plans and were the coaches and fitness staff content with the results let alone question why our skill level is still an issue?

We know we had injuries and some players dropped off by an alarming rate so it's going to be very interesting to see how seriously the clubs takes an unfulfilling 2017 season. Was it the gap year we had to have or did we just get lucky in 2016? If the answer is yes to either of those options I'll won't be content with that.

I think it's a lot of wishful thinking to say the difference between last year is comparable to the Hawks
    I think my intention is to ask, 'what did Hawthorn do in response to their narrowly missing finals in 2009, and are there any lessons from how they responded for us to pick up on'.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I think we are a mile off the side that got 15 wins in the home and away season and then put together a faultless finals series.
    We can stare into the eyes of the coaches and ask if they were demanding enough of players returning from holidays and ask were they happy with what they saw?

We can ask the hard question of the list managers and see why we started 2017 with a weaker team than what we finished 2016 with?

We should certainly ask questions around player development plans and were the coaches and fitness staff content with the results let alone question why our skill level is still an issue?

We know we had injuries and some players dropped off by an alarming rate so it's going to be very interesting to see how seriously the clubs takes an unfulfilling 2017 season. Was it the gap year we had to have or did we just get lucky in 2016? If the answer is yes to either of those options I'll won't be content with that.

I think it's a lot of wishful thinking to say the difference between last year is comparable to the Hawks
    We didn't retain much of what it was that made us so good at times last year did we? If it was hunger that caused that then we are in trouble and we have to make changes to the list that won't be popular about some players.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I hope we can pick up some of the intel on how hawthorn responded after 09
    One things for sure , they made changes .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I hope we can pick up some of the intel on how hawthorn responded after 09
    One things for sure , they made changes .
    Well we are making big changes as well but not our own choice . We have two 300 gamers retiring that's a lot of experience to fill.
    We will be a mid to young squad and this year although labelled a failure could bare fruit in the kids that we played due to injury and maybe a lost hunger from other players.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Getting even more like a mirror like now.

Rumours of players partying too hard the season after the flag.
    Mid sized forward, former/club leading goal kicker & fan favourite with trade currency traded out (likely) (Mark 'Shot Gun Salute' Williams - Jake 'The Package' Stringer).
    Recruiting a competent mature tall defender (Josh Gibson - Jackson Trengove, likely)
    Hawks put picks & Williams compo up for Burgoyne - Dogs TBA
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Getting even more like a mirror like now.

Rumours of players partying too hard the season after the flag.
    Mid sized forward, former/club leading goal kicker & fan favourite with trade currency traded out (likely) (Mark 'Shot Gun Salute' Williams - Jake 'The Package' Stringer).
    Recruiting a competent mature tall defender (Josh Gibson - Jackson Trengove, likely)
    Hawks put picks & Williams compo up for Burgoyne - Dogs TBA
    So the question remains, who is our Burgoyne? Is there a gem at a struggling club that wants a fresh start? If so are we in there ear?
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    So the question remains, who is our Burgoyne? Is there a gem at a struggling club that wants a fresh start? If so are we in there ear?
    I'd say Rockliff. I rate him fairly highly and free agency is great. Gaff someone said is reported as on the market. Liam Duggan maybe. I'd still be considering pick 9 for a range of players in the midfield or forward. Just don't really know whose available.

But like Hawthorn, pick 9 plus Stringer compo if it happens could buy a very smooth mid surely.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say Rockliff. I rate him fairly highly and free agency is great. Gaff someone said is reported as on the market. Liam Duggan maybe. I'd still be considering pick 9 for a range of players in the midfield or forward. Just don't really know whose available.

But like Hawthorn, pick 9 plus Stringer compo if it happens could buy a very smooth mid surely.
    I think Rocky would be a great fit bitnthwnword on the street is that he off to Carlton. Gaff is a real interesting one. He is a good player that hasn't reached the heights I thought he would. Could Bevo make him great. He's also a Marcelin boy just like the Bont. I think you are onto something BT
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    I think Rocky would be a great fit bitnthwnword on the street is that he off to Carlton. Gaff is a real interesting one. He is a good player that hasn't reached the heights I thought he would. Could Bevo make him great. He's also a Marcelin boy just like the Bont. I think you are onto something BT
    Off to Carlton? Must be via GWS then. I didn't think SOS looked passed GWS.

10. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Off to Carlton? Must be via GWS then. I didn't think SOS looked passed GWS.
    He's off a shoulder reconstruction first
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

He's off a shoulder reconstruction first
    I'd thought Adelaide were the front runners

So rocky replaces Gibbs?