LINK

DROPPED Bulldog Tom Liberatore isn't as "physically prepared" as he was last year and might be suffering something of a premiership hangover, Dogs coach Luke Beveridge has revealed.

Beveridge said Liberatore's demotion to the VFL was partly due to him becoming merely a stoppage player who didn't get involved enough in other aspects of the game.

However, the Western Bulldogs coach hoped the omission would act as a "circuit-breaker" for the 25-year-old, and suggested that a strong showing in Footscray's VFL game against Geelong at Whitten Oval on Saturday could result in an immediate return to AFL level.

With "hand on heart", Beveridge also rejected a rumour that Liberatore's omission was related to off-field matters.

In the opening eight rounds, Liberatore averaged just 17.25 possessions, including only 4.5 kicks – significantly down on his past three completed seasons when he averaged 23.4 touches, including 10.8 kicks.

"There's no doubt that Tom, I think, may not be as physically prepared as he was last year," Beveridge told SEN on Saturday.

"I think it's got to do with … that legacy after winning a premiership.
"He understands part of the reasoning. His challenge now is to get himself back to physical capability to play the game.

"At the moment it's more of a stoppage-to-stoppage view from Tommy, (but) he's got so much more to offer. His very best footy can really influence games.

"It may well be a circuit-breaker. Sometimes going back to the VFL allows a player to free themselves up a little bit as well. I've got no doubt today that he'll do that (and) his game will be a little bit different.

"There's no penalties. You go down, you play well. If he's best player on the ground and we need to make a change, he might come straight back up.

Beveridge said the psychological effect of the club's astonishing second premiership was "one of the great unknowns" at this stage.

"Just achieving that in any given year is quite amazing, but to do it after a drought of 62 years, and the kudos and the attention they've had, how do they get themselves back to their very, very best?" he pondered.

"I'm not sure the effect it's had on them yet. We just think that at some point they'll all come out of it. I don't think it's totally happened yet."

Beveridge said he remained optimistic that the Dogs would become a better team than they were last year.