Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers And Anchors - Round 13, 2017 vs Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It has to be the way the way they train.
    How was he out from goal? 30mtrs? And it wasn't a tight angle

It's the knock on Honeychurch, he doesn't covert enough of his chances.
    If he took a long enough run up, and stepped out/arked to the right, he wouldn't have been that far off in front. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him lining up sideways from where the kick was. Then shocked he missed a snap from 10m out to snuff out our comeback attempt. The third loss meant nothing, but it was 40m out straight in front. Leaving aside some poor disposals and average decision making, I'm not sure I want to see him again this year, which means he's not with us in 2018.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It has to be the way the way they train.
    How was he out from goal? 30mtrs? And it wasn't a tight angle

It's the knock on Honeychurch, he doesn't covert enough of his chances.
    A Melbourne player did the same thing and missed as well.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    If he took a long enough run up, and stepped out/arked to the right, he wouldn't have been that far off in front. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him lining up sideways from where the kick was. Then shocked he missed a snap from 10m out to snuff out our comeback attempt. The third loss meant nothing, but it was 40m out straight in front. Leaving aside some poor disposals and average decision making, I'm not sure I want to see him again this year, which means he's not with us in 2018.
    Honey hasn't played AFL level football for a year and still picked up 20 disposals. Yes he should have nailed those goals, but I would like to see him for a few more games and see how he goes.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    The Ruckman. Some of you are going to be tempted to put Roughead in the votes. We'd have been better off losing the hit outs, when both rucks got clear taps, and hit them directly into the areas Melbourne wanted the footy. As they have done every week - Melbourne started with 2 extras off the back flanks to run through the centre - whereas we had the extra on the wings. I just sat there completely baffled as how could possibly keep hitting towards the same areas in that circumstances. Hit out 'dominance' completely wasted. Had 4 marks BETWEEN them, and the 'stadium held its breath' when Tom sat under his one and only grab for the day. Pederson and Tom MacDonald took 13 marks, between them, kicked a couple of goals, had 43 possessions between them - and their team won the clearances.
    If I could like this a thousand times, I would. The rucking was diabolical (as was the response in the coaching box), consistently tapping it into the space where Melbourne had free numbers running off the back of the square.

And Boyd's one mark inside 50 would have been an easy spoil for any defender had he not been on his own. His marking technique is probably the worst I've ever seen for a bloke that's 200cm+.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If I could like this a thousand times, I would. The rucking was diabolical (as was the response in the coaching box), consistently tapping it into the space where Melbourne had free numbers running off the back of the square.

And Boyd's one mark inside 50 would have been an easy spoil for any defender had he not been on his own. His marking technique is probably the worst I've ever seen for a bloke that's 200cm+.
    So Boyd gets no credit for losing his defender, and goaling? I made it my task yesterday to pay close attention to our forwards leading patterns and contests. Boyd was badly burned on good leads a few times. Then when they did look for him, it was in a pack of 6 players, sometimes having a team mate throw their hands up - so he was given no decent chance. He's not going to be a gun player anywhere near forward with the service he gets. Same for Cloke, Redders, Carey, Ablett Snr or Lockett. Talking about Boyd is a focus on the symptom, the cause is abhorrent skills that give our forwards no chance to succeed. Which is why Brisbane, in last on the ladder, has out scored us this year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's the hold up of play further up the ground. We handpass sideways and backwards too often and teams are waiting on that, have all season long. Opposition floods back while we handpass and get nowhere while leading patterns and structure need to be reset or quickly work out an adhoc setup.

9. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So Boyd gets no credit for losing his defender, and goaling? I made it my task yesterday to pay close attention to our forwards leading patterns and contests. Boyd was badly burned on good leads a few times. Then when they did look for him, it was in a pack of 6 players, sometimes having a team mate throw their hands up - so he was given no decent chance. He's not going to be a gun player anywhere near forward with the service he gets. Same for Cloke, Redders, Carey, Ablett Snr or Lockett. Talking about Boyd is a focus on the symptom, the cause is abhorrent skills that give our forwards no chance to succeed. Which is why Brisbane, in last on the ladder, has out scored us this year.
    The entries are diabolical of course, but he'll never be close to a gun forward with his current marking technique.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    The entries are diabolical of course, but he'll never be close to a gun forward with his current marking technique.
    With maybe one or two decent attempts with a good pass per game, we will never know!

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

Libba. Had a decent crack after a reality check.
    Cordy. Showed intent and a maniacal determination from start to finish.
    Morris. If he wasn't there it would gave been even uglier.

Anchors

Wood. Was by a fair margin his worst game in the last two years. Couldn't catch a cold.
    Bontempelli. Selective in his efforts and aside from a goal in the third he barely fired a shot.
    Honeychurch. Had his chance and blew it.

As for JJ, I don't know what to think. It looked like he could barely walk going to the 3qt huddle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    A Melbourne player did the same thing and missed as well.
    It's a poor technique from the angle HC tried it from. Unfortunately Honeychurch can't afford to be missing those types of goals.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"