Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Should we make a play for one of these players

link

AFL’s MOST WANTED - (JJ is included in list)
    The stars at the top of the 2017 trade list

1 JOSH KELLY, 22 (GWS) — UNCONTRACTED

North Melbourne has filled up the back of a truck with bags of money and plonked them on the smooth-moving midfielder’s doorstep. The nine-year, $9 million offer is probably the third biggest in the game’s history. And if you have watched him carve up the midfield over the past month, you know he’s worth it. Remarkably, he could stay at Greater Western Sydney for the next two years, try and win a flag in that time, then be worth even more with a premiership on his resume. St Kilda equally keen.

2 NAT FYFE, 25 (Frem) — FREE AGENT

Things sat awkwardly over summer after the Brownlow Medallist said he would have to consider all options. It was like dangling a chip in front of a bunch of hungry seagulls for Victorian clubs. But the noises about Fyfe’s supposed discontent have fallen silent over the past month with Fremantle’s surge up the ladder helping tick off on one of his key criteria. The money will be there for him at Fremantle, who would match any restricted free agency offer, then force a Patrick-Dangerfield-style trade, asking for something in the vicinity of two first-round draft picks.

3 DUSTIN MARTIN, 25 (Rich) — FREE AGENT

Martin’s situation seems centred around a decent pay cheque. He loves the environment at Richmond, has a great relationship with the coach, and has appreciated their protection and support through some tricky times. His father’s deportation to NZ is the latest hurdle, for example. But Martin’s management are chasing the best deal, which has attracted a $1 million-a-year offer from North Melbourne. Good on the Roos for being aggressive, because Martin’s best form in the forward half of the ground is unstoppable. He will put bums on seats, too. For Richmond the equation is simple. Pay the man seven figures and he will re-sign.

4 STEVEN MAY, 25 (GC) — UNCONTRACTED

We shouldn’t be surprised that Hawthorn has strong interest in this A-Grade key defender. With Josh Gibson in the twilight of his career, the Gold Coast Suns’ stopper would be a perfect replacement. But grab a box of popcorn and let’s wait to see how the Hawks could possibly do a satisfactory trade deal given they have already sacrificed so much already to land Jaeger O’Meara and Tom Mitchell. Their top pick this year — a second-rounder — is not going to cut it and we saw last year that there was not one single Hawthorn player willing to make the trade move north.

5 SAM REID, 25 (Syd) — UNCONTRACTED

Reid is in career-best form and could be forced to take a pay cut to stay in the Harbour City. No doubt he has been well-paid over the past few seasons which have been marred by injury. Should Reid feel like he owes the Swans? Not in this day and age. He has produced career-best form this season and is attracting significant interest from Richmond and Collingwood. His Magpie brother, Ben, said he’s going to get in Sam’s ear about coming to the Holden Centre because he would be perfect at centre half-forward. An offer in the vicinity of $600,000-$700,000 should get him over the line if his best deal at Sydney starts with a four.

6 JOSH SCHACHE, 19 (Bris) — UNCONTRACTED

In contrast to Kelly and Reid, Schache’s form has plummeted to the point where he struggled to get a kick in the reserves last weekend. Oh boy. The No. 2 pick has attracted strong interest from almost every Victorian club but the Tigers are the frontrunner, clearly. Schache was tight with ex-Brisbane coach Justin Leppitsch, who is now at Punt Rd and the Seymour boy has now returned to Victoria to consider his future after being given two weeks off by the Lions.

7 JACKSON TRENGOVE, 26 (PA) — FREE AGENT

Trengove is the dark horse because his stocks have definitely gone up this season. The versatile big man is playing ruck-key forward and helping provide a quality foil for Paddy Ryder and Charlie Dixon. If you ask any recruiter what they’re always chasing it’s a big man who can play dual roles and hit the scoreboard. Trengove is off-Broadway a little, but expect his name to continue to bob up at the back end of the year. Port won’t pay overs and that leaves Trengove open to a move back home to Victoria.

8 LACHIE WHITFIELD, 22 (GWS) — CONTRACTED

Whitfield is contracted for another year, which is going to make any trade in 2017 extremely difficult if not near-on impossible. But the Saints have been massive fans of this pinpoint wingman for years and if they miss out on Kelly and Dusty, you know where their attention will turn. Importantly, they have the salary cap space and two first-round draft picks (thanks Hawthorn) to satisfy the Giants. Whitfield has endured a tough time during his drugs ban in recent months and it has given him time to think about his future. He’s crucial to the Giants’ plans, and will no doubt feel better about things if he’s playing well and GWS makes a deep run into September.

9 DEVON SMITH, 24 (GWS) — UNCONTRACTED

The third Giant on this list has been hard-hit by injury, with the latest knee blow at training set to sideline the dangerous goalkicker for another three two or three months. Usually, that puts contract talks on hold. At his best, Smith is a lethal small forward-midfielder who can turn games with his goal nous and prolific ball-winning. Geelong has kept a close eye on Smith since his junior days in the Geelong Falcons and Richmond have also circled, but his footy probably hasn’t hit the heights we all expected because of those injuries. GWS desperate to keep him.

10 ZAK JONES, 22 (Syd) — UNCONTRACTED

The Swans are in a pickle. With the club feeling the pinch in the salary cap, the Swans may only be able to afford to keep one of either Sam Reid and Jones. No doubt, Jones will be their priority, as part of plans to replenish an ageing midfield. Jones has many admirers at Melbourne, St Kilda and North Melbourne, but the Demons are clearly in the box seat given his brother, Nathan, is co-captain and wants him in red and blue. The hard-nut midfielder has enjoyed a break out year.

11 MITCH McGOVERN, 22 (Adel) — UNCONTRACTED

The two Western Australian teams are sniffing around McGovern, who clunks the ball like his older brother Jeremy. Taken with pick No.43, he is another gem of late selection from Crows’ ace recruiter Hamish Ogilvie. At 191cm, the 22-year-old may be worth a first-round draft pick at the trade table.

12 JASON JOHANNISEN, 24 (WB) — UNCONTRACTED

The Dogs were a bit surprised by the price tag in the early part of the negotiations but you have to be impressed by the speedster’s form line over the first 10 rounds. He has been one of the Dogs’ best three players so far this season. He is a matchwinner whose blistering pace and dare can cut apart an opposition defences but the Dogs will pay closer to $500,000 than $700,000 a year. Norm Smith Medal would have done plenty for the confidence.

13 GARY ABLETT, 33 (GC) — CONTRACTED

After a slow start, the brilliant midfielder is now fifth favourite to win a third Brownlow Medal. We all know what’s going to happen here. Ablett will make the move back to Geelong at the end of the season in return for a third-round draft pick (or thereabouts) or a younger player. Otherwise, Ablett will consider the prospect of retiring, and the Suns will lose him anyway. Gold Coast is snookered on this one. Ablett is bound to spend the next two seasons kicking snags in the blue and white hoops. Could win a Coleman Medal if he plays largely forward.

14 TOM ROCKLIFF, 27 (Bris) — FREE AGENT

The ball magnet has bounced back from the most challenging year of his career, leading the AFL for clearances up until last round. Senior coach Chris Fagan has lauded his leadership and impact off the field but he is unlikely to decide his future until the back half of the season. Collingwood was the only club interested last season, but his stocks have risen sharply. He wants to play finals and that’s unlikely to happen at Brisbane in the next two seasons. Is he a back-up option to Fyfe?

15 DAVID ZAHARAKIS, 27 (Ess) — FREE AGENT

His performance has ebbed and flowed this year and rival clubs are doing their homework now to find out whether he is worth going hard for. At his best, Zarahakis can be a damaging and prolific ballwinner who kicks goals. We saw that in 2011 when he won a best and fairest. But his form was patchy before strong back-to-back 30-possesion games against Geelong and West Coast in the past fortnight.

16 STEVEN MOTLOP, 26 (Gee) — FREE AGENT

One of the biggest headscratchers in the player talent pool this year. Two years ago his slingshot run and carry from the midfield was one of the most exhilarating weapons in footy, but he had a shocking finals series last year and the Cats tried to trade him, without success. Might be one of the most hot and cold players in the league. Rival clubs watching him closely are still confused. Maybe a club such as Port Adelaide would like his speed, given the links to coach Ken Hinkley.

17 JASPER PITTARD, 26 (PA) — FREE AGENT

Dashing defender takes the game on and wins high possession numbers from halfback. Those sorts of game-breaking backmen always appeal. But the mail out of Adelaide is he is happy to stay and a fresh deal might not be far away.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should we make a play for one of these players

I'm surprised we are not linked to anyone at another club on this list.

Obviously May & Trengrove (FA) for KPD.
    Kelly, Rockliff (FA) (if he's pulled his head in) for mids.
    Ablett (assuming rumours are true), Smith, Schache if Crameri & Cloke will be cooked by the end of next year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I'm surprised we are not linked to anyone at another club on this list.

Obviously May & Trengrove (FA) for KPD.
    Kelly, Rockliff (FA) (if he's pulled his head in) for mids.
    Ablett (assuming rumours are true), Smith, Schache if Crameri & Cloke will be cooked by the end of next year.

Don't be. We don't negotiate through the media.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Don't be. We don't negotiate through the media.
    Not saying we do, I'm saying the media don't think we are lining up one or more of a list of 16 other players. Which is surprising, because I'd think we absolutely are. Perhaps they're not listening to our club's public comments, not least of which Dalrymple last who who said outright we have salary cap and the willingness to address specific needs, through trade.

Example, they link Hawthorn to May and then point out they won't get a trade done...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I think we need to make a big play for May, followed by kelly if that fell thru.. We don't seem to have the confidence in Adams/Roberts as our main KPD, so May makes perfect sense to go after.

Kelly would compliment our midfield brilliantly with his exceptional kicking skills and ability to find the ball.

Hopefully we are planning something with those 2.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

If JJ looks like leaving I would like Zak Jones in. Big fan
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

I strongly disagree that JJ has been in our top 3 this season.

9. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gosh loads of talent there . May for me would be number 1. Like a crack at Lever also

Post Thanks / Like

Yes to most of that list.

May is an obvious one. Ditto Kelly.

Zak Jones a big yes - I'd love to get him. Reid is a maybe.

I could see some appeal with Motlop too.

Post Thanks / Like

Jones is a type we don't need. Dashing player but we have those and just shored up another in Williams for two years. We'd pay over for him as there will be other bidders and I'd rather splash the cash elsewhere. Steven may is an obvious one but I'm not convinced he can be pried loose. They'll pay through their teeth to keep him though. Ablett in a forward pocket would be a luxury as would Kelly in the middle. Our target should be Devon Smith out of that lot. Absolute gun and at his lowest value because of injuries. He's a star and a type we need.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Lever would be absolutely awesome and is eminently more gettable than May, both in terms of cost and likelihood. Him and McGovern being available at the same time must be a headache for the Crows.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Why hasn't the Essendon sponsor included Joe Daniher on this list?
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

15. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree completely with 1ED, we should be targeting Devon Smith.

I want Kelly just as much as anyone, but he'll be too expensive irrespective of the cleanliness he'll bring to our midfield.

Our real need however is polish forward of centre. Smith if he can get his body right will bring that. I'd love to have him and McLean as our two clean use guns running high and low over the ground.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd really like Trengrove. A versatile, quality big man of reportedly outstanding character is always extremely valuable. He would supplement our list beautifully and would work well in a Bevo team as a mobile and versatile option.

18. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    I'd really like Trengrove. A versatile, quality big man of reportedly outstanding character is always extremely valuable. He would supplement our list beautifully and would work well in a Bevo team as a mobile and versatile option.
    This would be my target for the points you've mentioned but also due to the risk of Adams moving home, Morris retiring, Collins on a slow cooker and having already lost Hamling leaves us vulnerable down back.

If we were heavily into Hurley last trade period we must surely be into someone like Jackson, particularly with what he would bring in leadership and versatility.