Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should we make a play for one of these players

I'd add Lachie Hansen to that list. If we can't get Trengrove or McKenzie, he's a flexible tall defender who can pinch hit forward too.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I'd add Lachie Hansen to that list. If we can't get Trengrove or McKenzie, he's a flexible tall defender who can pinch hit forward too.
    I like him as a player but not sure he's the type we need. I reckon Adams and Wood give us good ability to zone off, we're missing the Robbie Tarrant lock-down player

Post Thanks / Like

Not on the list and getting a little older but would anyone be interested in Matthew Kreuzer for the right price? Just turned 28 and out of contract at the end of this year. Played 21 games last year and looked to be over his injuries (although I'm sure he is always going to be managed) and has only missed the one game this year and looked very good in most games. Got the better of Goldstein today both in the ruck and around the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Not on the list and getting a little older but would anyone be interested in Matthew Kreuzer for the right price? Just turned 28 and out of contract at the end of this year. Played 21 games last year and looked to be over his injuries (although I'm sure he is always going to be managed) and has only missed the one game this year and looked very good in most games. Got the better of Goldstein today both in the ruck and around the ground.
    It's an interesting question. He can play multiple roles, and does far more than say Campbell. I think Campbell should ask for a trade (if I were him) and if that eventuated we'd have an opening. But he'd be competing with Roughy for basicly the main rucking role, and would he want to possibly play a chunk of VFL footy if Roughy stayed in good form? If Roughy got injured, as he does, he'd be an excellent ruck rotating with Boyd/English. If we lost Adams or Redders to another knee and couldn't replace them, then we could try to wall paper the cracks back with Roughy or forward with Kruezer. His asking salary would be interesting too.

I started this post thinking no, but then I'm finishing now thinking, well maybe think about it actually.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure we'd be into Hansen. Far to slow and injury prone . Trengove for sure, as he fits that Bevo mobile versatile type .

Post Thanks / Like

It's an interesting question. He can play multiple roles, and does far more than say Campbell. I think Campbell should ask for a trade (if I were him) and if that eventuated we'd have an opening. But he'd be competing with Roughy for basicly the main rucking role, and would he want to possibly play a chunk of VFL footy if Roughy stayed in good form? If Roughy got injured, as he does, he'd be an excellent ruck rotating with Boyd/English. If we lost Adams or Redders to another knee and couldn't replace them, then we could try to wall paper the cracks back with Roughy or forward with Kruezer. His asking salary would be interesting too.

I started this post thinking no, but then I'm finishing now thinking, well maybe think about it actually.
    I see Campbell as a back-up ruckman. Whether it's with us or if goes elsewhere, I don't really see him being anything other than a mature back-up. If we went after Kreuzer, it would be as first ruck with Roughead having to play VFL or find another role. I like Roughy but imo, Kreuzer is a much better ruckman both in his ruckwork and his around the ground work.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Kruezer ship sailed a few years ago . The mobility and skill set between Tom and Tim English is quite stark to be honest .
    I can see Campbell wanting more opportunity elsewhere next season .

Post Thanks / Like

I don't rate Trengove at all.

He's a very ordinary footballer.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Hard marker ....
    Clearly port rate him , as do a few clubs .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I don't rate Trengove at all.

He's a very ordinary footballer.
    Champion Data Rankings has him placed as 13th for key defenders, with Moz alongside him and Phil Davis below him, and with none of those ranked above him offering the versatility of playing in the ruck and as a key forward when required. Anecdotally I've only ever heard that he brings solid leadership to Port and has often been touted as a future Captain. Whilst he may not sit in the very top class of key defenders I feel it's over stretching to label him as a very ordinary footballer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Champion Data Rankings has him placed as 13th for key defenders, with Moz alongside him and Phil Davis below him, and with none of those ranked above him offering the versatility of playing in the ruck and as a key forward when required. Anecdotally I've only ever heard that he brings solid leadership to Port and has often been touted as a future Captain. Whilst he may not sit in the very top class of key defenders I feel it's over stretching to label him as a very ordinary footballer.
    I should clarify that by 'very ordinary', I mean he's very vanilla - he's an average every day footballer. Competes hard but he's one paced and doesn't have any one single trait that makes him an above average player (ie. Skills are average, marking is average).

When a player's greatest trait is his "flexibility", it says to me he's not good enough in any one position. He's serviceable as a key defender but that's about it.

I wouldn't have thought his ruck work is worth mentioning and he's awful as a key forward - see v Geelong.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With the reported $2mil or so extra coming in next year's salary cap and the supposed weakness of this year's draft, I'm expecting a lot of big offers to come in for players and many to move, whether contracted or not. Also means that a lot of other clubs will be making offers to out players, some may be way over market value too.

Post Thanks / Like

Nick Bowen on the AFL Website has claimed we are very keen on Steven May.

15. Likes bulldogtragic, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Who isn't?

I believe we tried to get him a couple of years ago, and we love his type of versatile intercept tallish defenders (Wood Haynes et.)
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Yay for May! That's the Way! That's great what you say! If we did it it'll make my day!