Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  12
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should we make a play for one of these players

May & Adams would be a very formidable key defensive unit.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    May & Adams would be a very formidable key defensive unit.
    With Wood and some signs from Williams, that group would be the intercept marking kings. Hearing Bevo this year talk about the 'turnover-turnover' game, I'm sure he'd love a heap of defenders that could generate opposition turnovers.

I'm pretty sure May has told us 'no' at least two times, so until I see ink on paper it's all media speculation.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yay for May! That's the Way! That's great what you say! If we did it it'll make my day!

Hooray! Hooray! Make way for Steven May!

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    With the reported $2mil or so extra coming in next year's salary cap and the supposed weakness of this year's draft, I'm expecting a lot of big offers to come in for players and many to move, whether contracted or not. Also means that a lot of other clubs will be making offers to out players, some may be way over market value too.
    A lot of that money might be taken up signing our own players to improved contracts. The value the market puts on JJ with the bigger salary cap will be interesting. We may well have to pay him more than we expected to in order to keep him.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Getting May would make up for losing Hurley at the 11th hour. Man, that stung.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Getting May would make up for losing Hurley at the 11th hour. Man, that stung.
    I hope seeing a dynasty he could've been a part of stings him more. I feel for May as he's done everything for them, but they're a basket case and he should have a shot at success. With us.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I hope seeing a dynasty he could've been a part of stings him more. I feel for May as he's done everything for them, but they're a basket case and he should have a shot at success. With us.

We'd be having more success, obviously.

Post Thanks / Like

Josh Kelly comes out of contract in 2019.
    I wonder if we have a good year and play finals could he'd be interested playing along side the Bont rather than take big bucks at Nt Melb.

Josh Kelly

'The smooth-moving midfielder will be the No.1 recruiting target for most Victorian clubs next year and, as he did when last out of contract in 2017, will attract long-term offers worth more than $1 million a season. The Giants put themselves in a reasonable position to compete with rival suitors when they shed more than $1.5 million in player salaries by trading Dylan Shiel, Rory Lobb, Tom Scully and Will Setterfield this year. GWS faces a busy 2019 on the contract front, with vice-captain Stephen Coniglio, Nick Haynes and Adam Tomlinson entering new free agency, and talented youngsters Jacob Hopper and Harry Himmelberg also set to come out of contract. But as talented as these players are, Kelly is better. The Victorian came close to returning home at the end of 2017 and is likely to again take time to decide his future. - NB'
    LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I would love a Josh Kelly, but I bet big big dollars will be thrown at him during 2019
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I would love a Josh Kelly, but I bet big big dollars will be thrown at him during 2019

It depends on whether he wants lots of houses or some actual silverware to put on display in the house he lives in.

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We had enough money to alledegly offer Wingard $850,000+ after Dahl went and then we saved a wage from Adams leaving additionally. Then Picko, Morris & Dickson are likely to retire (possibly Suckers in he wants to the NFL) freeing up more salary cap. I think we are well placed salary cap wise and draft pick wise to go hard at Kelly. Another club might have a little bit more coin, but I think we could offer a million or so over a long period so we should aim to be on the short list at a minimum.

Post Thanks / Like

We had enough money to alledegly offer Wingard $850,000+ after Dahl went and then we saved a wage from Adams leaving additionally. Then Picko, Morris & Dickson are likely to retire (possibly Suckers in he wants to the NFL) freeing up more salary cap. I think we are well placed salary cap wise and draft pick wise to go hard at Kelly. Another club might have a little bit more coin, but I think we could offer a million or so over a long period so we should aim to be on the short list at a minimum.
    Bont>Kelly makes for an interesting list management challenge. I’d love them both and we should aim for them both, but other teams will come hard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Bont>Kelly makes for an interesting list management challenge. I’d love them both and we should aim for them both, but other teams will come hard.
    Yep. No doubt North will offer something stupid, maybe Carlton & St Kilda too. But I think we are likely competitive on money and years, and being that Kelly & Bonts are good mates, maybe playing with Bonts is an intangible benefit to him. Then maybe landing Kelly helps to keeps Bonts around after his contract runs out just a bit more. But we need to show signs of improvement on field this year to sell him that the future here is bright.

I'd be comfortable with 7 years, $1,000,000 or so a season and offering JMac 2019 & 2020 first rounders. Kelly is better than Shiel (Essendon got a second rounder back), and is closer to Treloar (two first rounders, nothing coming back). I reckon an offer like this gets us onto the short list, then it's up to Power, Bevo & Bonts to sell Kelly that there's more chance of a flag here than Carlton, North & St Kilda.

Post Thanks / Like

Its going to need to be a massive offer to get even interested in coming to us. I think BT's assessment is about where it needs to be and even then it might be a bit short of what they want.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Its going to need to be a massive offer to get even interested in coming to us. I think BT's assessment is about where it needs to be and even then it might be a bit short of what they want.
    One other thing we have from Salary Cap perspective is the Tom Boyd contract is nearing the end, which can allow some additional flexibility with back ending any contract offer.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It depends on whether he wants lots of houses or some actual silverware to put on display in the house he lives in.
    Lol. Nobody needs a second house.
    "It's over. It's all over."