Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Should Robbo be sacked by HUN for silly tweets

Robbo has apologised for intensive tweet about Alex Fasolo which he then promptly deleted:

‘Good drugs – clinical depression on Tuesday, training Thursday’.
    He is not fit to be the Chief Football writer for the HUN and I don't get how he gets a gig on AFL360. Whtever you thought of Mike Sheahan, at least he was professional in carrying out his job.

Slobbo didn't forget Alex for re tweeting this:

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should Robbo be sacked by HUN for silly tweets

I was listening to this on the way home. It would appear he has apologized.

Ive never been a fan of his and I try to avoid listening too him and I also can't understand why he's on the TV, radio and the print media but surely he shouldn't be sacked for what he has tweeted?

To me it shows a lack of class and lot of ignorance and someone who is crying out for a big does of reality.

He has the Herald Sun in his twitter handle and they should make him retract it tomorrow. At the very least he needs to make a strong apology.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

GVG used the right word. Classless act from a classless bloke.

Should donate a month's salary to BeyondBlue while he's at it.

Post Thanks / Like

His apology was kind of half assed, too. Said he used the 'wrong words'.

A) what were the right words?
    B) he's a so called professional writer, you can't use 'wrong words' as an excuse

Putting aside his ignorance, classlessness etc, the guy should get the sack for just being terrible at his various jobs. He's a goon that somehow fell into a position of influence.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

5. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trouble is this is not the first time. He has fights with people on Twitter and really tweets ridiculous things. When you challenge him, he blocks you.

The Chief Football write should be better than this.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It's actually pretty poor for all those who do and will suffer from a degree of mental illness. Psychiatrists often use many situational and exposure therapies/techniques. Some people need to stay home, some maybe need to escape for a while surfing, having coffee out of the house or going back to work. What this comment does is cast doubt on sick folks and their treating doctors. So when Joe Bloggs is off on stress leave and a colleague sees Joe going to the footy on the weekend, the colleague can go back to work and say 'Joe isn't mentally unwell because I saw him at the footy' and 'Mentally unwell people are only legit if they stay home and hide in their cupboard'. Robbo legitimises this shit that many of us face day to day, and fuels the ignorant masses who have this bias.

I'm lucky (in a perverse sense) that I was retired with serious physical injury as well as PTSD. People understand physical injuries and have an immediate sense of support, while depression/PTSD etc is usually met with some level of ignorance and sometimes open scepticism about whether mental illness is real. It's a part of why blokes/coppers I once knew have killed themselves, and why coppers, emergency services and armed services personnel are killing themselves at an abhorrent rate. Robbo thinks he's having a dig at a bloke who re-tweeted him a while back, but with his microphone and reach he's strengthening poor cultures and poor values that treat mental illness suffers with such distain that they may not get the help they need, or feel the stigma even more. It doesn't do any good to think about the flow on consequences of what that means in human terms. An apology does nothing, the horse has bolted, ask Kathy Griffin being sacked from everyone today. It seems those employers have a higher standard than Robbo's employers.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    GVG used the right word. Classless act from a classless bloke.

Should donate a month's salary to BeyondBlue while he's at it.
    Donating is the celebrity cop-out that substitutes cash foregone for actually learning and using influence to change negative public perceptions.

Robbo should go and educate himself, and use his influence to positively impact the conversation.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually don't mind him USUALLY but this is too much. He says he used the wrong words - there are no right words if you imply someone's mental illness isn't genuine. Shows a complete lack of understanding. Dirty, dirty act.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

He's just proving he has no class , once again .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

I'm lucky (in a perverse sense) that I was retired with serious physical injury as well as PTSD. People understand physical injuries and have an immediate sense of support, while depression/PTSD etc is usually met with some level of ignorance and sometimes open scepticism about whether mental illness is real. It's a part of why blokes/coppers I once knew have killed themselves, and why coppers, emergency services and armed services personnel are killing themselves at an abhorrent rate. Robbo thinks he's having a dig at a bloke who re-tweeted him a while back, but with his microphone and reach he's strengthening poor cultures and poor values that treat mental illness suffers with such distain that they may not get the help they need, or feel the stigma even more. It doesn't do any good to think about the flow on consequences of what that means in human terms. An apology does nothing, the horse has bolted, ask Kathy Griffin being sacked from everyone today. It seems those employers have a higher standard than Robbo's employers.
    Listened to a talk from an ex cop at Sons of the West tonight as he spoke about his battles with mental illness and a lot of what you say was very similar. It is very hard to understand for those that don't go through it but to make a joke of it when you are in a job as a Chief Football writer? Come on.

I will openly say I dislike the man but that has nothing to do with my feeling that he should absolutely be sacked.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post

I will openly say I dislike the man but that has nothing to do with my feeling that he should absolutely be sacked.

Wayne Schwass talked about this battles with depression and how the club doctor showed him how football could help him with get into a good routine and I think this hit home with Robbo. At least it appeared to.

I'm not inclined to support him but I believe he needs education on the various forms of depression and of course a large dose of humility and even though like you I don't really like him I still don't think sacking him is the answer. His employer does need to stand up here though.

I don't profess to have a great understanding of how depression can take a hold of someone and perhaps through Robbo's insensitivity it might help others like me to try and gain a better understanding.

Just listening to the comments by Wayne Schwass and then reading of BT's own experience has raised my awareness.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I have a genuine concern that with this, young men and women in the AFL industry struggling with stress/anxiety/depression that impacts their health will not come forward now because the chief footy writer of the Hun may just rip you down & to shreds in the public domain in a time of their vulnerability. I'd almost say that's certainly going to be the case now, and I hope our clubs support structures can be even more proactive now for anyone not feeling comfortable to ask help for fear of public derision by the biggest & loudest footy chief in the industry (be it mental illness, gambling, alcohol or substance use, or other concerns).

If the Hun's chief political editor wrote about the Police Minister who went on/is on stress leave for PTSD from exposure to the horrible things he saw; 'clinical depression Monday, seen in party room Thursday. Great meds'... I dare say that chief of politics at the Hun would be sacked, distance put between them and then never get a job in media ever again. It's so irresponsible it beggars belief.

It's such a step backwards from the great work that organisations are doing. It's potentially dangerous if players/coaches/officials won't seek help because of fear of this type reaction in the public domain. He has to personally wear the consequences if his actions cause any degree of unnecessary human misery. But I'm pretty sure he doesn't get it from his attempted apology, so he won't lose sleep if/when players are suffering in silence again. He won't lose his job, that's not what the footy industry does. He could however shut up and not undo the great work being done with AFL players to get them to see the signs and then to seek help, without fear, judgement or public reticule.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 02-06-2017 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Typo
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

15. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm not inclined to support him but I believe he needs education on the various forms of depression and of course a large dose of humility and even though like you I don't really like him I still don't think sacking him is the answer. His employer does need to stand up here though.
    If he were just a journo I would say he doesn't need to be sacked but he is the chief football writer. With that position comes responsibility and for that he should be at least demoted.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't profess to have a great understanding of how depression can take a hold of someone and perhaps through Robbo's insensitivity it might help others like me to try and gain a better understanding.
    Me neither and to be honest before hearing the guy from Beyond Blue talk about his issues and how he felt at the time I didn't really think sacking would have been required. But listening to him talk and he mentioned quite specifically about how isolated he felt and that one of his biggest fears was to be seen as weak and ridiculed by his fellow members in the force and that stopped him from owning up to his issues it really hit home.
    Last edited by Topdog; 02-06-2017 at 09:19 AM. Reason: extra content

17. Likes bornadog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    It's actually pretty poor for all those who do and will suffer from a degree of mental illness. Psychiatrists often use many situational and exposure therapies/techniques. Some people need to stay home, some maybe need to escape for a while surfing, having coffee out of the house or going back to work. What this comment does is cast doubt on sick folks and their treating doctors. So when Joe Bloggs is off on stress leave and a colleague sees Joe going to the footy on the weekend, the colleague can go back to work and say 'Joe isn't mentally unwell because I saw him at the footy' and 'Mentally unwell people are only legit if they stay home and hide in their cupboard'. Robbo legitimises this shit that many of us face day to day, and fuels the ignorant masses who have this bias.

Media standards could be debated endlessly, but it does seem that US standards are a lot higher - e.g I believe Eddie McGuire would've lost a similar position if based in the US for any number of his gaffes. Seems those standards drop alarmingly for higher office, but anyway...

I suspect many here will share my opinion on Robinson - he's a better writer than I could be, but I genuinely believe there's at least 5 or more posters on this site that would be better. Is it the emotive common man shtick that gets him a role on 360?

Should he be sacked? I wonder if it came up behind closed doors - my hope would be that this could lead to a greater understanding of the issues some (specifically footballers in this instance) face. I'm not one to want to give him credit, but he has seemed genuine in his remorse, and that's important to me at least. I understand if it's not to others.

I've suffered some anxiety issues over the past few years, and it is incredibly difficult to try and explain what's going on to anyone. Attitudes like the one Mark tweeted aren't helpful, but I'd like to think he's going to take the opportunity to try and learn and understand and maybe even help moving forward. I get the sense he wants to be that kind of person, but keeps tripping over himself (like the article about Erin Phillips and her partner at the AFLW B & F)
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

How many mistakes does he get to make? He is a classless moron to be honest and this isn't the first and I'm sure won't be the last time that he puts his foot in it on sensitive issues. As the chief football writer he is supposed to be leading the way, not still in a learning phase.