Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should Robbo be sacked by HUN for silly tweets

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Donating is the celebrity cop-out that substitutes cash foregone for actually learning and using influence to change negative public perceptions.

Robbo should go and educate himself, and use his influence to positively impact the conversation.
    That was my first thought too. Educate himself and try and understand what he is talking about. He is in a position where he could do some good.

Other than that I can't see what it is he provides that warrants appearence son TV and radio and the paper either but it must be something.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Footy scribes are the lowest form of human existence - they leech onto the real stars of the show and try to make themselves bigger than the game itself. That misplaced expectation of importance is what makes this week so good to see - Robbo's high media profile has turned on him on the best way possible, and he has nobody but himself to blame.

Goes without saying what an ill-informed and ignorant tweet it was in relation to a very serious community issue that touches so many people. His apology was half-arsed and qualified - "wrong choice of words" - and in any event he is supposed to be a journalist (hard to believe I know), a profession that requires an innate knowledge of the use of words and their power. By even writing the tweet let alone pressing send, it proves that he is incapable of a basic level of expected competence fit to be a journalist. If he gets the arse, I would not care one iota - he is not bigger than the game. He and his ilk are parasites who attach themselves to the game and the players for the sole purpose of raising their own profile - this week hopefully shows these scumbags that nobody barracks for them and that they are barely tolerated by the footy public.

The less we hear of Robbo, Ralphy, Purple, Scoop McLure, Caro, Hutchy, Pickers and any other low rent scribes, the better.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

3. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some sports journos are pretty good, it's usually the ones who just analyse objectively and with some depth.

By the way, you can add that one man creep show Bruce to your list Sedat. His fawning and nicknaming is really weird, and overbearing. I just don't understand who it appeals to.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I have a genuine concern that with this, young men and women in the AFL industry struggling with stress/anxiety/depression that impacts their health will not come forward now because the chief footy writer of the Hun may just rip you down & to shreds in the public domain in a time of their vulnerability. I'd almost say that's certainly going to be the case now, and I hope our clubs support structures can be even more proactive now for anyone not feeling comfortable to ask help for fear of public derision by the biggest & loudest footy chief in the industry (be it mental illness, gambling, alcohol or substance use, or other concerns).
    BT, given your understanding about the varying levels of depression I think you're probably best placed to answer, or at least shed some light on, a question I asked when Ryan Griffen departed our club. Emotions were obviously running very high but at the time I mentioned that he was exhibiting symptoms that he wasn't coping with the demands of being a captain and with the spot light on him he wanted out of a club that had been pretty good to him. My guess is he would have stood out of football if a trade wasn't arranged. It's probably a very hard question to answer but could his decision to put distance between himself and a difficult and stressful situation potentially be a form of depression that we didn't really understand at the time?

I think I have a decent understanding of stress and anxiety but I'll be the first to admit I have a long way to go in understanding how depression can get a hold of someone particularly in a sporting sense.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    BT, given your understanding about the varying levels of depression I think you're probably best placed to answer, or at least shed some light on, a question I asked when Ryan Griffen departed our club. Emotions were obviously running very high but at the time I mentioned that he was exhibiting symptoms that he wasn't coping with the demands of being a captain and with the spot light on him he wanted out of a club that had been pretty good to him. My guess is he would have stood out of football if a trade wasn't arranged. It's probably a very hard question to answer but could his decision to put distance between himself and a difficult and stressful situation potentially be a form of depression that we didn't really understand at the time?

I think I have a decent understanding of stress and anxiety but I'll be the first to admit I have a long way to go in understanding how depression can get a hold of someone particularly in a sporting sense.
    Who knows, is my first thought. Depression is a beast that affects many in different ways. Some can function at a high level, others not so. I'm not sure if he used the services of our welfare manager or psych help through our Employee Assitant Program (EAP) or his own doctors. I'd like to think if things were so dire the club or he himself would seen the signs, after the Mitch Clarke situation, and put his welfare at the top of the agenda. The problem I have with the Gryphone thing is:

- he had a sit down, heart to heart with Garlick and co after the season and at the conclusion of the meeting RG said to all that all was good with him. So he went on holiday.
    - then on holiday he speaks with Leon Cameron (allegedly for the first time that year according to LC)
    - then RG phones in that he wants out, but not just out, to GWS and GWS only
    - then his manager didn't help facilitate a quick trade, or have RG take one cent less, if a quick move was best for him that should've happened

That's not to say anything, because I don't the guy or what was going on in his thought process. But the details of that situation that have been publicly established create a lot of doubt to me as to what was going on, and the truthfulness and sincerity of many people. I'm unaware of any comment from LC or RG or anyone at our club that suggested RGs desire to quit the club was for a different reason from the reasons cited by Higgins, Cooney, Jones or Tutt (or Lake the year before). Its also clear he/his manager didn't pressure GWS to make a quick trade (happened in reverse in the McCarthy situation - would make GWS the biggest hypocritical villains if they were trying to help RG out with mental illness and then do nothing to help McCarthy), or offer to take a pay cut from the Dogs contract to facilitate a quick move or ensure the trade went through. RG picked a club, held out, demanded money he wasn't entitled to. Only he knows why I guess.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Educate Robbo all you like on depression. I'm sure he'll find another issue to make himself look like a dickhead.

8. Likes bulldogtragic, Topdog, bornadog, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Slobbo on AFL 360, apologising, pretending he is remorseful, and pleading to his critics. It just seems so fake.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Slobbo on AFL 360, apologising, pretending he is remorseful, and pleading to his critics. It just seems so fake.
    He probably got told he was pleading for his job. Lots of people battle mental illness or have loved ones who do. Maybe Robbo's boss at Fox is one of them.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth it did not strike me as fake. He's a slow learner.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The victim mentality narrative he's pedalling over the treatment he's received from other scribes with an axe to grind is quite pathetic. He never hesitated sinking the boots into others when the shoe was on the other foot, and now he is on the receiving end as a result of his own stupidity he cannot comprehend how little the footy public regards him.

Pissweak.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

13. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a tweet, but I read it on twitter, apparently Robbo on AFL360 - can anyone confirm

"Western Bulldogs, no one cares about the tragedies in your club, just win"

This man is a low life.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a tweet, but I read it on twitter, apparently Robbo on AFL360 - can anyone confirm

This man is a low life.
    Surely not.

Post Thanks / Like

Jesus you'd have to be super maggot pissed and jaded after blowing some dough to put something like that to air.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

What a bully. Basically.

More to be pitied than despised. When he retires, who will remember him the day after?
    He knows less about footy than me. And I don't know that much at all.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

This man is a low life.
    He kind of did. Not the exact words and I watched it and while I thought it sounded a bit off, I’m not sure he intended it that way. He meant “footy is tough, and there are lots of things that get in the way of you performing and winning, but in the end, all that matters is the result”.