Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers And Anchors - Round 17, 2017 vs Carlton

This is the round 17, 2017 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Carlton is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Optional: New addition to the Bankers and Anchors Banchors 3 players we thought who were in the middle in how they went in the game neither a Banker or Anchor.

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers And Anchors - Round 17, 2017 vs Carlton

Bump
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

B

Simon Dalrymple - Picks in the 40's or so: Caleb Daniel, Bailey Williams, Lewis Young
    Lewis Young - Great Debut
    Bonts - The magic was back, less the time he was exhausted from rucking

Anchor

Hunter - Some Really lazy crap today.
    Suckling - Barrel down the middle??
    Honeychurch - Sure he got some disposals, but missed easy shots again, again, again. May as well play an extra midfielder then.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Young - what a debut, started off a bit nervous and then settled in. Our new CHB.

2. Bailey Dale - getting better every game.

3. MC - guts to have a 20 year old and 18 year old holding the Backline, plus 19 year old Williams. The future core of the backline.

Anchors

1. Hunter, out of form the past few weeks, may have to be dropped to find it in the VFL

2. The umpires - they forgot about prior opportunity when it was us.

3. Another injury to a key player
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Banker - the Bont , just pure silk
    - the debut of Lewis Young
    - thought our handball was back today
    Anchor - The kicking in the final third, I say final third because Carlton parked about 3 buses behind the ball .
    - Heart palpitations when I see the Bont rucking .
    Only got two , as we just needed that win

Post Thanks / Like

B:

Daniel was ultra clean in the first half when we needed someone to lead the way.
    JJ seemed a little more like himself. Maybe the contract talk being over has helped clear his mind.
    Lewis Young.

A:

The MC/coaching staff for using Bont in the ruck for big chunks of the game. You have one of the best mids in the universe taking ruck duels while Redpath and Roughy are resting forward. Utter madness.
    Suckling. Just can't cop him anymore. Misses easy target under no pressure, picks and chooses when he wants to go. I wish we just threw him in the ruck.
    Murph pulling up after giving away a free and letting his opponent take the easiest of advantages to set up a goal.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Really liked our midfield work today with Carlton having a dominant ruckman. We never allowed Murphy and Gibbs too much space to work with and our hands were great.
    Also liked the way we slowed Carlton up although they helped us by refusing to take the corridor.
    Thought Libba'shands and JJ's run was back today.

Banchors
    Liked Honeychurch's effort but as usual he needs to finish his work much better as he doesn't get a lot of it.
    Hunter had a nearly game.....not as critical as some on this board though.
    Red path competed well with not a lot of influence. Hard when you're the only big target though.

Anchors
    Stringer's injury......he was looking lively.
    Umpire 19
    A lot of bulldogs supporters gave dropped off from attending,
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

B- The number of youngsters in that side, they led the way.
    -Defensive unit seemed to have found their cohesiveness today
    -The boy Young. He's gonna be fun to watch with those bucket hands.

A- We're constantly short a tall. I don't care if we've gotta play English if that meants Bont isn't rucking.
    -Don't want to shoot Bambi but I thought Bob was pretty ordinary today. His skills and pace have really dropped off.
    -Disposal inside 50 was again awful

Post Thanks / Like

I can only go on what I saw in the highlights package.
    This is what I liked.
    1. Handball - it looked like we were using it as an attacking weapon.
    2. Bailey Dale - nailed a set shot from just outside 50.
    3. Lewis Young - gave Casboult a mouthful after he hit the post from close in. I liked that. I don't care if it was his first game. Casboult is not a protected species. Not even a fixture in a struggling side. So, good on the kid. I like his attitude. If he can develop into a Rick Kennedy type of presence down back, I for one, will be very happy.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

Macrae - Having a good year

Daniel - Very good game some of his kicking was great

Lewis Young - Really good debut

Anchors:

Early in the 1st quarter bad start

Injury to Stringer but at least he won't be out for too long
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

B. An outstanding debut by Young.
    Promising games by youngsters in Williams Dale and Maclean
    Fine games by Bontempelli and Daniel.
    A. Disappointing game by Redpath
    Murphy played like someone that has missed a lot of football
    We desperately need a second ruckman.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Lewis Young impressed me much. Wood is our intercept marker in the team and now he has an apprentice.
    2. Bontempelli was back to his best today.
    3. Macrae has been working on his kicking. He wasn't kicking many rain makers today. He is a gun.

Anchors

1. Forward line. Entries and personnel. No one leads. Entries were often straight to Carlton defenders. We need to get some chemistry going there before this season slips completely away.
    2. Stringers hammy. Terrible blow. Brian Taylor kept saying he has a history of hammies but I don't recall him doing a hammy before. Is this true? If its not true Brian Taylor cops an anchor too.
    3. Some terrible umpiring today. We are still suffering from some barrett campaigning I think.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    B:

Murph pulling up after giving away a free and letting his opponent take the easiest of advantages to set up a goal.
    Yes that was terrible.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

Lewis Young - one swallow doesn't make a summer - but we look like we've found a player.
    Bont - fantastic - with my favourite highlights being his three important contested marks.
    Daniel - needed a lift in the second quarter and his performance in that term set us alight.

Anchors:

Hunter - invented ways to bugger things up. Saving grace was his early goal - but otherwise, well off.
    Murphy - not his best day. Bit better in the last quarter - hopefully takes that in to next week.
    Stringers hammy.

Notes:
    Honeychurch may still lack the class to make the grade in my view - however, great to see us put some time into Simpson, given Carlton's half back strength. Simpson had some footy - but no real impact. HC acquitted himself well and you couldn't pot his efforts.

Macrae has found his goose-step/shimmy that he had in his early years - loved him bringing that out and getting some metres gained. Used the footy expertly.

Forward line/inside 50s. Pretty hard to be super effective with the way Carlton get their numbers behind the ball. A lot of congestion - so there has to be some perspective on this. Very quiet day for Redpath - but also extremely rare for him to have a game without hitting the scoreboard (hasn't happened since 2015) so he gets a reprieve.

Post Thanks / Like

Banker-
    Honeychurch- that chase down on Kruzer, then followed up to be the link man through the middle, getting the ball out to Picken. Continued his run and was rewarded with a shot on goal (which he converted). He plays next week, with efforts like that. Should be highlighted to the group.

Young- great debut, love seeing a tall defender take intercept marks.

JJ- got on his bike again, good to see some improvement.

Anchors-

Soft tissue Injuries- staggering the amount of injuries we have had to deal with over the last few years.

Redpath- like what Jack brings to the side, but needs to find a way to stay in the game when things aren't going his way.

Dumb Kicks forward- bombing it into the outnumbered forward throughout the day was incredibly frustrating.
    Last edited by SlimPickens; 17-07-2017 at 08:51 AM.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"