Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers And Anchors - Round 17, 2017 vs Carlton

Bankers:

- Bont - just makes the corerct decision and executes every time (well almost everytime).. And his contetsed marking was crucial at times.
    - Young - an exciting debut, I think he would've sleeped well last night with all the running he did to celebrate & congatulate after every goal.. Just looked like he was having fun out there.
    - JJ - as per SP, he took the game on.. I think he likes playing on the MCG.

Anchors:

- Ruck situation - WTF?
    - Redpath - worst game of his career, didn't present, didn't compete.. Just didn't do anything.
    - Macrae - Love your work-rate, but your kicking is a massive issue.
    - Hunter - just a sloppy game all round.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    - Ruck situation - WTF?
    What would you have done?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What would you have done?
    Put Redpath in there.. He gave us nothing at all up forward... You don't have a Rolls Royce plowing a field, you get a beaten up old tractor to do that job.

The passage of play where we had Bont rucking in our FP with Redpath & Roughead in the goal square was *!*!*!*!ing ridiculous.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

- Bont - just makes the corerct decision and executes every time (well almost everytime).. And his contetsed marking was crucial at times.
    - Young - an exciting debut, I think he would've sleeped well last night with all the running he did to celebrate & congatulate after every goal.. Just looked like he was having fun out there.
    - JJ - as per SP, he took the game on.. I think he likes playing on the MCG.

Anchors:

- Ruck situation - WTF?
    - Redpath - worst game of his career, didn't present, didn't compete.. Just didn't do anything.
    - Macrae - Love your work-rate, but your kicking is a massive issue.
    - Hunter - just a sloppy game all round.
    And yet he is going at a very respectable 75.7% for the year - the second highest % of anyone in the top 10 for total possessions.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Put Redpath in there.. He gave us nothing at all up forward... You don't have a Rolls Royce plowing a field, you get a beaten up old tractor to do that job.

The passage of play where we had Bont rucking in our FP with Redpath & Roughead in the goal square was *!*!*!*!ing ridiculous.
    Redpath can't run so he is no option for the ruck. Gone are the days where he would run down players. that happens after a handful recos.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    And yet he is going at a very respectable 75.7% for the year - the second highest % of anyone in the top 10 for total possessions.
    Macrae went at 87% yesterday. I thought it was the best he's used the ball in ages - and thought he looked up and forward rather than sideways. A real positive game for Jack.

7. Likes dadsgirl16 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Macrae went at 87% yesterday. I thought it was the best he's used the ball in ages - and thought he looked up and forward rather than sideways. A real positive game for Jack.
    The was my thinking post-game as well.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Young's debut.
    Some good signs from JJ, Libba and Biggs
    The continuing emergence of McLean and Bailey Dale

Anchors
    Coaching staff - will shorten Bont's career of they keep throwing him onto the ruck which is also a total waste of his talent at stoppages.
    Stringer's injury.
    Big Jack gave us very little.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind Bont rucking around the ground when he can position his body and then win the ground ball with his agility...but he should never ever contest centre bounces. BTW....thought our mids were outstanding to limit Carlton's ruck dominance and our defenders did well to stop Calton's big blokes marking up forward.

Loved Macrae's ball use yesterday.....normally not his strength.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Young:
    Great debut. Good in the air and ok by foot. Nearly the complete debut game, all he needed was a goal.
    Bont: Probably his first complete game in a while, offering something in every area again andhis marking was sublime.
    Our zone worked: Carlton had real issues moving the ball out of defence, in the third quarter as scrappy as it was there was about a 20 minute period where the ball barely left our half (for no reward though). Our zone was setup well and seemed to slow Carlton down, although not sure why they were so hesitant to take the initiative and try to break through the corridor.

Anchors
    Redpath:
    Offered very little. Our delivery was poor but with his complete inability to play another position and tendency to go missing for halves at a time (like the West Coast game in Perth I was wondering if he got injured at halftime until I spotted him with 5 minutes to go).
    Ruck situation: I actually think Bont kind of worked against Kreuzer who had a quiet game so it's not a complete anchor, but Bont was clearly stuffed by the end of the game (weird seeing as he is usually a strong finisher) and when you have both Roughead and Redpath on the ground then surely one of them should be rucking.
    Forward entries and setup: We improved a little later in the match by creating space in the forwardline and entering through the likes of Daniel, but we continue to be idiotic in the way we just lob the ball to no one in particular. Dahlhaus has become a liability whenever he gets the ball in space now because he just kicks it as far as he can regardless of the situation infront of him, he might as well be given a blindfold and told to show how far he can kick. On top of that there were long periods where our forwardline had no structure and was just a congested mess of players in eachothers way.
    Umpires: Unlike the lady behind me I don't think they were biased, they were just shocking. Idiotic inconsistencies and poor interpretations. It's a tough job but they were very poor yesterday and really have been all year.
    Last edited by soupman; 17-07-2017 at 12:08 PM.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    I don't mind Bont rucking around the ground when he can position his body and then win the ground ball with his agility...but he should never ever contest centre bounces. BTW....thought our mids were outstanding to limit Carlton's ruck dominance and our defenders did well to stop Calton's big blokes marking up forward.

Loved Macrae's ball use yesterday.....normally not his strength.
    Did he though? He was certainly there but I'm not sure he even ever touched Kreuzer for any of the centre bounce contests.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Did he though? He was certainly there but I'm not sure he even ever touched Kreuzer for any of the centre bounce contests.
    Only on a couple of occasions but I dread him collecting a big knee in the ribs.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

The point about Dahl's kicking is intensifying by the week; he used to be adequate, he's now a turnover merchant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    The point about Dahl's kicking is intensifying by the week; he used to be adequate, he's now a turnover merchant.
    Yep.. he's been shocking for this in the last 3 weeks especially. I think he had 6 clanger kicks yesterday? I'm sure coaches are onto him about this, and I hope he can quickly adjust his play accordingly very soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Only on a couple of occasions but I dread him collecting a big knee in the ribs.
    There was one occasion in the centre, where Bonti didn't even bother jumping, he just let Kreuzer punch the ball, then he chased it and won the clearance .

People can complain about the MC and the tactics in the ruck, but when you have TBoyd, and Campbell injured, Cloke also coming back from mental injury and not available, you can't then put in 18 year old English. Redpath gives us ZERO in the ruck, so may as well have a mid who can then shark the ball from low on the ground.

We won the game, and the tactics worked.
    Last edited by bornadog; 18-07-2017 at 09:28 AM. Reason: typo
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post