Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  44
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee - Round 21, 2017 vs GWS Giants

I get the debate on Webb but he's been with us 3 years and I'd like to think he is nowhere near his peak.
    I'd like to see him return to the back line next year where I think he has played some very good footy and this will perhaps free up JJ to play forward on a permanent basis.

I believe the decision to drop him was the right one
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post
    The problem for players like Webb is that they tend to come in and be given flanker roles where it is much harder to get a heap of the ball and clearly influence games. Lachy Hunter found it very difficult a few years ago, McLean has thrived since being released from there, Dunkley I guess is a counter-example, but I think Webb flashed some promising things a few weeks ago and I hope we can get him to sign a new deal soon.

I agree that it makes sense to drop him this week, but his task against the Lions wasn't easy either - he had to go down back to try and help cover for Wood and was part of a pretty inexperienced backline. Beveridge praised him a bit in the post-game press conference which he doesn't do lightly (and yes, Webb struggled on Bastinac in the last quarter, but again, he was put in a difficult situation to try and help the team).

Finally for now, I think it's pretty clear that the Lions are one of the best 'bottom' teams we've seen for a while, and they match up very well against us at the moment.
    That's fine RT, but as a counter arguement let's look at Bailey Williams who is playing a flanker role, is the same height as Lukas, but is about 18 months younger.

Last week Bailey had 20 touches and provided run and carry, Lukas didn't.. To me Lukas has one trait that makes him a likely AFL player, he can kick, but at the minute he can't get the ball enough and his weaknesses are proving too great to keep him in the side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Seriously who misses two weeks with a back spasm? My faith in our medical team is at an all time low.
    I had a serious one many years ago, spent two nights in hospital and wasn't back to full PT for a couple of weeks.
    Given he missed 10 weeks last year with a hammy I don't mind taking a cautious approach.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously who misses two weeks with a back spasm? My faith in our medical team is at an all time low.
    When you said medical, first thing I think about is Zimmerman, Landsberger and Young

Sure. But we have the worst soft tissue rate in the league, we have the most games missed out of any club due to injury, soft tissue injuries are endemic at our club. When do you stop blaming luck and start questioning the process?
    I think all clubs have this issue - maybe we have more, I don't know.

Geelong contacted the surgeon David Young who did Libba's surgery. David doesn't work for the club. But sure they are doing a great job
    Yeah that is medical, not fitness and conditioning

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Are soft tissue injuries medical staff or conditioning staff?
    This

Thanks Slim, can you please explain where your gripe is. You have been talking about this for ten years (since Davoren). I genuinely don't have a clue about the condition staff and fitness. All I know is we finish games off better than anyone so we must be fit, however, maybe it is recovery issues???
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently they don't consider Bont a tall in our forward line?

Another Giant added to squad?

Sydney-based reporter Adam Curley looks at the selection options in front of GWS coach Leon Cameron for tonight's clash against the Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium.

GWS coach Leon Cameron decided not to replace suspended ruckman Shane Mumford with Dawson Simpson, instead opting to use Rory Lobb as the number one big man, but will his selected 22 remain unchanged?

The Giants' NEAFL team has a bye this week and all three of the Giants' emergencies – Simpson, Harry Perryman and Daniel Lloyd - travelled to Melbourne with the team on Thursday, and with Simpson coming off 70 hit outs and 21 possessions in the reserves, Cameron has the option to bring in the form big man.

The coach has made no secret of his liking for three tall forward options, but GWS looked slick in their win over Melbourne last week with Lobb as the only big inside 50, so Cameron might elect to leave the returning Jonathon Patton is his primary target.

Key defender Adam Tomlinson could be swung forward to give Patton some help in the air, with Phil Davis and Aidan Corr left to take on the Bulldogs' only tall options in Travis Cloke and Jack Redpath, and his lead up marking could be important with the team's best link man Jeremy Cameron injured.

The Giants' reserves will have a modified scratch match in Sydney on Saturday with the teams made up of listed players and top up players form the club's academy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Apparently they don't consider Bont a tall in our forward line?

Another Giant added to squad?

Sydney-based reporter Adam Curley looks at the selection options in front of GWS coach Leon Cameron for tonight's clash against the Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium.

GWS coach Leon Cameron decided not to replace suspended ruckman Shane Mumford with Dawson Simpson, instead opting to use Rory Lobb as the number one big man, but will his selected 22 remain unchanged?

The Giants' NEAFL team has a bye this week and all three of the Giants' emergencies – Simpson, Harry Perryman and Daniel Lloyd - travelled to Melbourne with the team on Thursday, and with Simpson coming off 70 hit outs and 21 possessions in the reserves, Cameron has the option to bring in the form big man.

The coach has made no secret of his liking for three tall forward options, but GWS looked slick in their win over Melbourne last week with Lobb as the only big inside 50, so Cameron might elect to leave the returning Jonathon Patton is his primary target.

Key defender Adam Tomlinson could be swung forward to give Patton some help in the air, with Phil Davis and Aidan Corr left to take on the Bulldogs' only tall options in Travis Cloke and Jack Redpath, and his lead up marking could be important with the team's best link man Jeremy Cameron injured.

The Giants' reserves will have a modified scratch match in Sydney on Saturday with the teams made up of listed players and top up players form the club's academy.
    or Stringer
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

This game is a beauty for Bevo to work through.

The win would be gold for our season.

Last couple of contests with the silver spoons have been epic.

Undermanned dogs.

Enter Bevo. But keep something up your sleeve.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I think it could be another great game. I feel like we are ready for a very good performance, but in unfortunate timing - the Giants might be really beginning to hit their straps on the eve of finals.

To use Bevo's words 'it will take our very best'.

10. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    That's fine RT, but as a counter arguement let's look at Bailey Williams who is playing a flanker role, is the same height as Lukas, but is about 18 months younger.

Last week Bailey had 20 touches and provided run and carry, Lukas didn't.. To me Lukas has one trait that makes him a likely AFL player, he can kick, but at the minute he can't get the ball enough and his weaknesses are proving too great to keep him in the side.
    If I had a criticism of Bailey Williams it's that he doesn't use the ball well and makes poor secisions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    If I had a criticism of Bailey Williams it's that he doesn't use the ball well and makes poor secisions
    He does Fredi, but let's not underplay the inherent high risk game that running defenders play as a mitigating factor. Biggs, JJ all make similar errors as per their instructions to create opportunities. That point being made i think the impetuous nature of youth has seen Williams make a couple of errors that should disappear from his game as he matures- like the checkside kick he did a while back when running through the middle.

Post Thanks / Like

Tomilson out for them. Dawson Simpson in.

Dogs no change
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Tomilson out for them. Dawson Simpson in.

Dogs no change
    Thats a good result for us.