Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  44
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee - Round 21, 2017 vs GWS Giants

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He also said Tomlinson should go to The Bont. Bring it on, Bont will cream him
    I'm actually a bit concerned by that match up. I reckon Tomlinson is one of the better matchups for the Bont up forward.
    Although it may mean others up forward get better opportunities. Tomlinson will have to stay close to Bont and that may mean Bont is a decoy to prevent Tomlinson from getting back and helping out against Stringer, Cloke & Redpath

Post Thanks / Like

I think the medical team does a fantastic job. Geelong have contacted them to help with Selwood's ankle

Webb has not fired a shot each time he has come in this year - not one good game. Maybe a good 5 minutes in the first quarter against Essendon.
    Disagree, has never had a decent run at it, its time for him to leave its obvious the match committee don't rate him. We are an industrious side , Webb has has a skill set to really help with forward connections and improve our goal kicking but I guess we will never know..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Disagree, has never had a decent run at it, its time for him to leave its obvious the match committee don't rate him. We are an industrious side , Webb has has a skill set to really help with forward connections and improve our goal kicking but I guess we will never know..
    His record this year:

2017 Games Log for Lukas Webb (Western Bulldogs)
    Description Date Opponent Result K HB D M G B T HO GA I50 CL CG R50 FF FA AF SC
    Round 20 Aug 5 Lions Win 103-89 3 3 6 1 0 0 3 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 28 25
    Round 19 Jul 30 Bombers Win 127-97 7 5 12 1 2 1 1 0 0 3 1 1 0 1 1 49 65
    Round 9 May 19 Cats Loss 81-104 5 7 12 0 1 0 6 0 1 2 1 3 0 1 1 57 56
    Round 8 May 12 Eagles Loss 61-69 8 4 12 4 2 1 7 0 0 3 2 1 1 1 0 86 77
    Footywire.com © 2017 about terms privacy discussions contact us

Doesn't look good
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

His record this year:

2017 Games Log for Lukas Webb (Western Bulldogs)
    Description Date Opponent Result K HB D M G B T HO GA I50 CL CG R50 FF FA AF SC
    Round 20 Aug 5 Lions Win 103-89 3 3 6 1 0 0 3 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 28 25
    Round 19 Jul 30 Bombers Win 127-97 7 5 12 1 2 1 1 0 0 3 1 1 0 1 1 49 65
    Round 9 May 19 Cats Loss 81-104 5 7 12 0 1 0 6 0 1 2 1 3 0 1 1 57 56
    Round 8 May 12 Eagles Loss 61-69 8 4 12 4 2 1 7 0 0 3 2 1 1 1 0 86 77
    Footywire.com © 2017 about terms privacy discussions contact us

Doesn't look good
    Thanks for the supporting documentation, you prove my point nicely hasn't had a decent crack at it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Gotta disagree with this . The way they've got our injured players back has been excellent .
    I'd imagine it's a back/hammy twinge, and if aggravated would be season ending .
    I am with you Remi. The way our medical team got those 4 players up for the first final last year was sensational. They have done nothing this year that diminishes their efforts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Gotta disagree with this . The way they've got our injured players back has been excellent .
    I'd imagine it's a back/hammy twinge, and if aggravated would be season ending .
    Sure. But we have the worst soft tissue rate in the league, we have the most games missed out of any club due to injury, soft tissue injuries are endemic at our club. When do you stop blaming luck and start questioning the process?
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the supporting documentation, you prove my point nicely hasn't had a decent crack at it.
    He had four quarters against the bottom team to have a decent crack at it and managed 6 disposals, 1 mark and 3 tackles.

Thats beyond unacceptable.

If not Webb, who should make way?

Post Thanks / Like

I think the medical team does a fantastic job. Geelong have contacted them to help with Selwood's injury.
    Geelong contacted the surgeon David Young who did Libba's surgery. David doesn't work for the club. But sure they are doing a great job
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Sure. But we have the worst soft tissue rate in the league, we have the most games missed out of any club due to injury, soft tissue injuries are endemic at our club. When do you stop blaming luck and start questioning the process?
    Are soft tissue injuries medical staff or conditioning staff?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    He had four quarters against the bottom team to have a decent crack at it and managed 6 disposals, 1 mark and 3 tackles.

The problem for players like Webb is that they tend to come in and be given flanker roles where it is much harder to get a heap of the ball and clearly influence games. Lachy Hunter found it very difficult a few years ago, McLean has thrived since being released from there, Dunkley I guess is a counter-example, but I think Webb flashed some promising things a few weeks ago and I hope we can get him to sign a new deal soon.

I agree that it makes sense to drop him this week, but his task against the Lions wasn't easy either - he had to go down back to try and help cover for Wood and was part of a pretty inexperienced backline. Beveridge praised him a bit in the post-game press conference which he doesn't do lightly (and yes, Webb struggled on Bastinac in the last quarter, but again, he was put in a difficult situation to try and help the team).

Finally for now, I think it's pretty clear that the Lions are one of the best 'bottom' teams we've seen for a while, and they match up very well against us at the moment.
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

11. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post

Is he a mid? a forward? a back? the kid has been handled poorly by the club. I watched him in the warm up against Essendon and he hardly missed a shot at goal, you don't need a lot of possession to add value just ask Dickson. Dunkley adds attributes that we already have in the side, I would have backed in Webb for an improved performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Is he a mid? a forward? a back? the kid has been handled poorly by the club. I watched him in the warm up against Essendon and he hardly missed a shot at goal, you don't need a lot of possession to add value just ask Dickson. Dunkley adds attributes that we already have in the side, I would have backed in Webb for an improved performance.
    I'm an advocate of Webb's, but I'm not sure that he's been handled that poorly. We're a young side, but still a pretty strong one, and Dunkley was doing some match-winning things before he went out (and had some very, very impressive games late last year).

We've added a few strings to Webb's bow since he's been with us, training him to play as an inside mid, as well as on a forward flank. He's still finding his way, and I think he's a chance to earn a more permanent spot in our line-up next season. But we're still playing to try and make the finals, and it's hard to argue that Webb gives us a better chance of beating GWS than Dunkley does.
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Webb needs to take his chances like everyone else.

Not sure why he deserves more than most?

16. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog, chef, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This site has all ranges of opinion represented, from uninformed to well informed and everything in between. If someone who has specific knowledge in a professional sense and has been a solid contributor over years calls out concerns about our injury issues then we should take it on board as laymen.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Kruder, I don't think it's a black and white debate when it comes to Webb. I understand why some might think he's been handled less than perfectly however, anyone who isn't the most talented of options when trying to break into the senior side understands that you fit in and perform in any situation when given a chance if you want to get a career started. It's the case at AFL, or any level of footy when it comes to breaking into the seniors.

Webb definitely should have been dropped this week, his game last week was really ordinary and irrespective of his defencive duty requirement he had an opportunity to get his hands on the ball more than he did given the way the game was played - and who it was played against.

My preference is to keep him as I think we've been developing him well across a number of positions. I also think we on this forum tend towards a higher level of churn with players than is realistic, and expect players to develop more quickly than they reasonably should. That we're a premiership side and potential contender again, we expect everyone to develop at an unrealistic rate.

Webb needs time and opportunity just like everyone, and in my view his development is going well. If anyone else wants him and we let him go for nothing, then that's just football.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.