Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  44
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee - Round 21, 2017 vs GWS Giants

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Webb has played 5 matches this year and other than 2 goals in the first quarter last week, has not impressed at all. I am starting to have my doubts about him. 4 games x 12 disposals and 6 today.

Happy to see the back of Clay as well for now, but not sure who comes in? Maybe Dickson if he has recovered.
    Webb just doesn't have the aggression and desperation for AFL level. He showed it for about 15 minutes of the first quarter last week then went back into his shell. Didn't even poke his head out today.

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think we'll be forced to play Murphy this coming week.

Out - Wood, Smith, Cloke and Webb

In - Roberts, Dickson, JJ and Stringer

Cloke is unlucky, though if Dickson is good to go I think we look a bit better with Red at the moment - the latter should have had a five goal haul today.

If Stringer doesn't come up, Cloke stays.
    I thought he played well today, took 7 marks, had 6 inside 50s and 8 hitouts in the ruck. I don't mind having him in with Redpath, as the 2nd ruck role is not solved without TBoyd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    We do have one (very) experienced backline player consistently doing well in the reserves. Does anyone think that Matthew Boyd is a chance for a senior game this week ?
    Bevo said he was a chance.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought he played well today, took 7 marks, had 6 inside 50s and 8 hitouts in the ruck. I don't mind having him in with Redpath, as the 2nd ruck role is not solved without TBoyd.

Bevo said he was a chance.
    I agree but find it difficult to include him if Stringer is ready to play.

It wouldn't surprise me if we decided to put Boyd back to organize the younger defenders.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Out:-
    Wood, Smith, Murphy, Young

In:-
    JJ, Boyd, Stringer, Roberts

Young has had a few key forwards clean him up just enough in contests that I think he'd be a bit sore and in need of a freshen up, while Murph would appear a logical emergency to travel to Etihad.

Don't think we need to change Cloke/Red, Jake has wheels and is essentially replacing Smith.

Roberts to come in after doing well against GWS before and Boyd to provide some experience down back.

Post Thanks / Like

Webb has played 5 matches this year and other than 2 goals in the first quarter last week, has not impressed at all. I am starting to have my doubts about him. 4 games x 12 disposals and 6 today.

Happy to see the back of Clay as well for now, but not sure who comes in? Maybe Dickson if he has recovered.
    I think Dunkley is the best direct replacement for Smith. His injury was upper body so would've retained his aerobic fitness over his recuperation (and undoubtedly would've left no stone unturned given his character) so 1 week in VFL and a solid performance should be enough.

7. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

GWS went with a more mobile forward line rather than a tall one against Melbourne. No Cameron or Patton. Greene due back this week also.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    We do have one (very) experienced backline player consistently doing well in the reserves. Does anyone think that Matthew Boyd is a chance for a senior game this week ?
    I think so, he must be a real chance
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

In
    JJ Stringer Dickson

Out
    Wood Smith Webb

We also cannot allow Shaw to have 30+ uncontested possessions.

Post Thanks / Like

He also had 9 score involvement (equal 3rd on ground) and 3 goal assists (most on ground). He stays in. Watching the game live though I didn't notice him much but the stats don't lie.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

12. Likes bornadog, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Boyd's a big chance to come in .
    Dunkley might come in, but only one game back .
    In Dickson Stringer JJ
    Out Webb Wood smith ( who looks a tad overweight )

Post Thanks / Like

Boyd in if Murphy is rested

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Webb just doesn't have the aggression and desperation for AFL level. He showed it for about 15 minutes of the first quarter last week then went back into his shell. Didn't even poke his head out today.
    It was a meek performance, but what I find strange is that we have been developing Lukas as an inside/outside mid, but he is yet to spend anytime in the middle... Maybe you have to earn it, and the situation meant he had to go back, but I doubt he would have spent much time across HB in the past 2 years.

16. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In
    Stringer, Dickson, JJ

Out
    Cloke, Smith, Wood

Smith contributed nothing to our forward line on Saturday. Cloke was ineffectual and the difference in work rate between him and Redpath was very noticeable at the ground. Cloke's lack of vision was frustrating when he did get the ball, choosing to blaze in the third quarter when Redpath was 30m in the clear.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    It was a meek performance, but what I find strange is that we have been developing Lukas as an inside/outside mid, but he is yet to spend anytime in the middle... Maybe you have to earn it, and the situation meant he had to go back, but I doubt he would have spent much time across HB in the past 2 years.
    In his first couple of games this year he was sent into the middle, he just doesn't find enough of the ball at AFL level to be an AFL midfielder. I think he's in trouble.

Id be tempted to rush Dunkley back - and kid who can play midfield in his first year can surely play Smith's forward role. His height is an advantage too.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

19. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Bang on. This is my bugbear with what we are doing with him. A kid like Williams for example hasn't been told to play inside mid or another role, he can focus on HBF. Webb looked good off the back flank when he debuted, then looks good as a mid at VFL level and when promoted is playing roles he's not been educated in. As an example of this with a young player, I know that Hugh Goddard in his last year in the TAC & school footy was getting frustrated as his school side was playing him as a KPD and the Falcons were playing him as a KPF (or vice versa). He was telling a lot of people around the interview times (that as a kid learning the game) he wanted to focus on one position, preferably defence, and work on becoming the best he could be in one role and end the confusion. He's looked comfortable at AFL level with St Kild after been educated and taught to be defender.

It sounds like an excuse, but you learn about the different systems, where team mates will be, who will be leading at you, where you need to run etc, etc. I really think we've stuffed Webb around, and I think he'll leave and be a good player to whomever he goes to.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023