Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  44
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee - Round 21, 2017 vs GWS Giants

I don't see how Webb displaces anyone in the midfield or in defence. He's earned a game and is being rewarded appropriately, but unfortunately for him he needs to adapt to whichever role he is given as there are better options on the list for the roles we believe him to be more suited to.

He's there to service the senior team, not the other way around. If we have better midfielders and defenders in positions he may be suited to then so be it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    In
    Stringer, Dickson, JJ

Out
    Cloke, Smith, Wood

Smith contributed nothing to our forward line on Saturday. Cloke was ineffectual and the difference in work rate between him and Redpath was very noticeable at the ground. Cloke's lack of vision was frustrating when he did get the ball, choosing to blaze in the third quarter when Redpath was 30m in the clear.
    How do you account for Cloke's 9 score involvements?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I don't see how Webb displaces anyone in the midfield or in defence. He's earned a game and is being rewarded appropriately, but unfortunately for him he needs to adapt to whichever role he is given as there are better options on the list for the roles we believe him to be more suited to.

He's there to service the senior team, not the other way around. If we have better midfielders and defenders in positions he may be suited to then so be it.
    In that regard I don't disagree. But he should be given a few weeks to learn to adapt at the top level. It seems pointless teaching him a game style that gets him selected, then not play him in the role and then demote him for not playing overly well in different foreign roles. If he's dropped now on form (not allowing for guns coming in like Stringer & JJ) then I could understand him feeling like he can't win with the powers that be.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Cloke was fantastic and talk of him blazing away is very much cherry picking. His workrate and ability to spot up a target was great, esp. that one in the last to find Smith.

6. Likes bulldogtragic, 1eyedog, bornadog, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I thought Cloke was fantastic and talk of him blazing away is very much cherry picking. His workrate and ability to spot up a target was great, esp. that one in the last to find Smith.
    Amen brother TD. He was a hard running, roaming and marking CHF. It's been a long time since I've seen such an assured CHF in our colours. His work rate was brilliant, leading up and running back towards goal. He's still got to find more touch with more games under his belt, but I think he's a big asset for us. Especially his work up the ground and marking the long kicks down the line. If our player drops the mark, it's a turnover. But Trav holds enough of them, or fights in the contest if it comes to ground.

Like Bevo & .trav said when the trade went through, we are not expecting Trav to kick 4 goals each week. We want him to play role. I think last weekend and before Ziebell smashed his ribs in, he's doing the role ok. I reckon we've probably won nearly all the time he's played (edit 5 wins, 3 losses).
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes boydogs, Mofra, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Amen brother TD. He was a hard running, roaming and marking CHF. It's been a long time since I've seen such an assured CHF in our colours. His work rate was brilliant, leading up and running back towards goal. He's still got to find more touch with more games under his belt, but I think he's a big asset for us. Especially his work up the ground and marking the long kicks down the line. If our player drops the mark, it's a turnover. But Trav holds enough of them, or fights in the contest if it comes to ground.

Like Bevo & .trav said when the trade went through, we are not expecting Trav to kick 4 goals each week. We want him to play role. I think last weekend and before Ziebell smashed his ribs in, he's doing the role ok. I reckon we've probably won nearly all the time he's played (edit 5 wins, 3 losses).
    I'm not sure how you can comment on work rate of a forward from watching on TV to be honest.

But that aside, I think Cloke did enough to retain his spot in the side, and him and Red worked better together with having Red deepest, and Cloke up higher. I don't think I'd be changing it this week - although time will tell if in terms of pressure, we can have all of Red, Cloke, Dickson and Stringer playing forward.

A couple of good spot ups from Cloke were nice to see - as generally he just marks/turns/bombs 50 metres forward. He has the highest kick to handball ratio of any current player in the league - so I don't think we can expect he will ever start rewarding the player running past with the handball.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I'm not sure how you can comment on work rate of a forward from watching on TV to be honest.

But that aside, I think Cloke did enough to retain his spot in the side, and him and Red worked better together with having Red deepest, and Cloke up higher. I don't think I'd be changing it this week - although time will tell if in terms of pressure, we can have all of Red, Cloke, Dickson and Stringer playing forward.

A couple of good spot ups from Cloke were nice to see - as generally he just marks/turns/bombs 50 metres forward. He has the highest kick to handball ratio of any current player in the league - so I don't think we can expect he will ever start rewarding the player running past with the handball.
    To be honest, it looked like he was working hard and his heat map which I looked at shows he was not only moving laterally inside 50 but working up and back on both wings. Seems his data accords with my perspective, to be honest.

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, it looked like he was working hard and his heat map which I looked at shows he was not only moving laterally inside 50 but working up and back on both wings. Seems his data accords with my perspective, to be honest.
    Seeing as he spent time in the ruck, and apart from that played centre half forward, wouldn't it be a bare minimum that he got himself to the wings?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Seeing as he spent time in the ruck, and apart from that played centre half forward, wouldn't it be a bare minimum that he got himself to the wings?
    There's an issue when a bloke plays a good game and a compliment his way ends up a debate topic.

13. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's an issue when a bloke plays a good game and a compliment his way ends up a debate topic.
    Yeah, I don't get it either. I thought he played one of his best games for us this year.

When is the last time two big forwards took 9 and 7 marks.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Yeah, I don't get it either. I thought he played one of his best games for us this year.

I actually posted that the two players worked well together and that Cloke did enough to keep his spot, and overall complimented his game.

17. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mumford suspended

19. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mumford got 1 week
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Redpath's conversion was poor. Should have kicked 3-4 goals given his opportunities. The Bont likewise was very wasteful in kicking for goal. Having 3 big forwards for the most part seemed to work but Dickson and JJ going forward provides greater flexibility.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Redpath's conversion was poor. Should have kicked 3-4 goals given his opportunities. The Bont likewise was very wasteful in kicking for goal. Having 3 big forwards for the most part seemed to work but Dickson and JJ going forward provides greater flexibility.
    Agree NBP.
    Must convert better from here on out.
    However, pleasing to see us take plenty of marks inside 50 again this week. The last three weeks we have taken 19,16 & 19 marks inside 50. Our average (and the competition average) is 12 per game. Good to see us connecting better. Hopefully we can do it against very good opposition this week.