Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs Supporters – A rare breed?

Now for something deep......

In conversation with a close friend the other night, the discussion turned to the Bulldogs and having one Premiership to show for since the Dogs entered in VFL/AFL. I thought to myself at the time ...”here, we go again”, I was asked whether our lack of success had ever steered me away from the Bulldogs and if there were any thoughts to changing my team - I was absolutely horrified and emphatically said No, never.

I might get annoyed, frustrated at our losses and upset at the chances we had to perhaps go that spot further ala 1985, 1997 & 1998 – years that I would like to remove off the calendar if I could. Although, at the end of the day – I love the Bulldogs and the support I have for them will be there as long as I am alive – win, lose or draw!

Then my friend turned to me and he said, “You know, every Bulldog supporter I know thinks similar thoughts, you guys are a rare breed of supporters, always back the team to the hilt and hate people having shots at them and you will defend them to no end”, I thought about it some more and agreed it is true.

We definitely are a rare breed of supporters.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs Supporters – A rare breed?

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBelle View Post
    Now for something deep......

In conversation with a close friend the other night, the discussion turned to the Bulldogs and having one Premiership to show for since the Dogs entered in VFL/AFL. I thought to myself at the time ...”here, we go again”, I was asked whether our lack of success had ever steered me away from the Bulldogs and if there were any thoughts to changing my team - I was absolutely horrified and emphatically said No, never.

I might get annoyed, frustrated at our losses and upset at the chances we had to perhaps go that spot further ala 1985, 1997 & 1998 – years that I would like to remove off the calendar if I could. Although, at the end of the day – I love the Bulldogs and the support I have for them will be there as long as I am alive – win, lose or draw!

Then my friend turned to me and he said, “You know, every Bulldog supporter I know thinks similar thoughts, you guys are a rare breed of supporters, always back the team to the hilt and hate people having shots at them and you will defend them to no end”, I thought about it some more and agreed it is true.

We definitely are a rare breed of supporters.
    "Rare" is one description....."sadly deluded optimists" is another.

Never thought of changing...never will. Just hope our loyalty is rewarded some day.

Post Thanks / Like

The way the AFL works today everyone has a chance

Post Thanks / Like

Me change from the Doggies, not on your life.

I live, love and breathe them.

Very pigheaded where they are concerned.

Sometimes disappointment, frustration and anger come to mind - but give them up - not in my lifetime.

I as always say - I bleed Red, White and Blue.
    I bleed Red,White & Blue

Post Thanks / Like

thing is tho, when we hit the top the fans will triple with many who don't really care for the team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shifty View Post
    thing is tho, when we hit the top the fans will triple with many who don't really care for the team
    It was amazing how many supporters there were at the Collingwoof final in 2006. The 85000 plus crowd was certainly not all black and white.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It was amazing how many supporters there were at the Collingwoof final in 2006. The 85000 plus crowd was certainly not all black and white.

That was one of my proudest days as a bulldog supporter. To beat Collingwood on the field, and match their supporters off it, was great.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

That description is perfect for the typical Bulldogs supporter.

For all these years of frustration, and I'm still early on in my life as a Doggies supporter (I'm now 19), the satisfaction whgen we finally come good will be worth it. 2006 alone was an amazing year for me, and I think that the core of our supporters are prepared to stick with the club eternally, unlike many of my fairweather Essendon and Collingwood "supporters".

The most annoying are those supporters of Carlton and Essendon who bag our history and show off about the success of their club, but these supporters have barely even attended a match in the past 2 years and couldn't name more than half their side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    That description is perfect for the typical Bulldogs supporter.

For all these years of frustration, and I'm still early on in my life as a Doggies supporter (I'm now 19), the satisfaction whgen we finally come good will be worth it. 2006 alone was an amazing year for me, and I think that the core of our supporters are prepared to stick with the club eternally, unlike many of my fairweather Essendon and Collingwood "supporters".

The most annoying are those supporters of Carlton and Essendon who bag our history and show off about the success of their club, but these supporters have barely even attended a match in the past 2 years and couldn't name more than half their side.
    bloody hell, my bro is a Carlton supporter, if we r ever talking bout footy, he will say something like, 'how would it feel to only have 1 preimership' shit like that. Regardless of the fact that i didn't really no much about footy back when carlton won there lost preimership (i was 3, he was 5) i still get stuff like, we have 16 preimerships blah blah blah.
    dam it is annoyung

Post Thanks / Like

And they won a lot of their flags in the 1800s, years before we even joined the VFL. (sometimes there were about four teams in the 'league').
    We were racking up flags in the VFA in those years but they don't count.

Post Thanks / Like

I probably love them as much, if not more, now then when I left Melbourne almost eight years ago. Distance makes the heart grow fonder, eh? I guess I took the Bulldogs and footy in general for granted for most of my years in Australia. The matches I've been able to see on my three trips back meant more to me than most of the matches I went to for 25 years. Fingers crossed that I can make another journey this year, though it's looking increasingly likely I won't be able to afford it.

I also miss dim sims, potato cakes, fish 'n chips and Ferguson Plaire's chocolate eclairs.
    47 year Doggie member

I'm home...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago1 View Post
    I probably love them as much, if not more, now then when I left Melbourne almost eight years ago. Distance makes the heart grow fonder, eh? I guess I took the Bulldogs and footy in general for granted for most of my years in Australia. The matches I've been able to see on my three trips back meant more to me than most of the matches I went to for 25 years. Fingers crossed that I can make another journey this year, though it's looking increasingly likely I won't be able to afford it.

I also miss dim sims, potato cakes, fish 'n chips and Ferguson Plaire's chocolate eclairs.
    You can't get steamed dimmies in Chicago?

What kind of 3rd world country are you living in?

Post Thanks / Like

I hate that when we'll be on top of the ladder and so on we'll have so many fans jumping on board pretending to love to club and all of that, but it's a price I'm willing to pay if it did mean we'd be on top of the ladder...

If I were to change teams it would require a severe bedroom make over, which I really don't want to do. I haven't experienced a lot of the heart break of being a Bulldogs supporter, even though this is my 10th year of being a member I believe, I just can't remember the 97 and 98 disasters...2005 was bad enough, I don't know how I would have coped.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dales.girl38 View Post
    I hate that when we'll be on top of the ladder and so on we'll have so many fans jumping on board pretending to love to club and all of that, but it's a price I'm willing to pay if it did mean we'd be on top of the ladder...

If I were to change teams it would require a severe bedroom make over, which I really don't want to do. I haven't experienced a lot of the heart break of being a Bulldogs supporter, even though this is my 10th year of being a member I believe, I just can't remember the 97 and 98 disasters...2005 was bad enough, I don't know how I would have coped.
    As long as they pour some money into the club. Because that is what they're for

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dales.girl38 View Post

Yeah, I was only 9/10 for those 97/98 finals and whilst I took the losses badly, the rest of my family (parents, uncle, aunt and grandparents) were all devastated. I too found the 2005 loss hard to bear, especially as I had to watch it on TV out at Mt Buller.

But this year was the most frustrating year. After all the build up and hype and star recruits we never really got off the ground,and those last 7 games were like the football world was teasing us.

Then theres my "friends" who support Essendon and Collingwood who whinge because they missed out on finals in a particualr year, or gloat about their clubs superiority both on and off the field when they barely know who the coach is, let alone anyone other than Matthew Lloyd, James Hird or Nathan Buckley.