Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs the worst they’ve been under bevo: Watson

Tim Watson has called the reigning premiers’ 46-point loss to the Sydney Swans on Thursday night the most disappointing they’ve played under Luke Beveridge.

The Western Bulldogs were hardly in the contest last night, with only inaccurate kicking for goal by the Swans keeping them in the contest during the opening three quarters.

Once the home side straightened up late in the third term, their dominance, as illustrated by the 71-39 inside 50 count, began to take shape on the scoreboard.

Watson says that the Bulldogs’ uncompetitive, uncontested performance, which now leaves them at risk of falling out of the top eight, is clearly the lowest point they have hit during the two and a half seasons of Beveridge’s reign as coach.

"For the first time under Beveridge, I was disappointed in the way the Bulldogs played last night," he said on SEN Breakfast.

"That was most unlike the Beveridge Bulldogs last night. They did not compete as aggressively and as hard as what we normally see them compete inside the contests.

"(Beveridge) will cut out excerpts from last night and he will show the players about their lack of desire to really want to compete at the coalface.

"That is the benchmark. They have been the best contested side over the past couple of years, the Bulldogs. They have been nowhere near that same angry, nasty Bulldog outfit that we have seen over more than two years."

Beveridge last night accepted responsibility for not being able to get the best out of his players his post-game press conference, with Watson believing his side’s largely unconvincing 2017 campaign so far is finally beginning to frustrate the Dogs coach.

“He has taken the responsibility, which he has to and every great coach should do that in his situation,” the former Essendon skipper said.

“He’s tried to pull many different levers this year to try and get this side right. We know how many changes he has been making, some of those have been forced and others haven’t been forced. We know how many players from last year’s Grand Final have been dropped since last year as well.

“At this stage he is trying as hard as he possibly can to get the mood of this group back to where it was last year and he hasn’t been able to do that, and we are now seeing the first signs of frustration attached to that.”

Garry Lyon believes the Bulldogs fell victim to one of the worst things you can be related with in AFL football: submissively accepting a defeat.

“There’s two words you don’t want associated with yourself as an individual or your team collectively: passive acceptance,” he said.

“There was passive acceptance of an onslaught last night.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/06/...r-bevo-watson/

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs the worst they’ve been under bevo: Watson

Piss off Watson
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Nah we were woeful last night. Fair call.

Post Thanks / Like

Very much a fair call was at the game we were pathetic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Piss off Watson
    What was wrong with what he stated?

It was quite simply, a horrible performance.

Post Thanks / Like

He's correct
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    What was wrong with what he stated?

It was quite simply, a horrible performance.
    I just hate him. Can't stand what he says about us - maybe it is the way he has a go. Have a look at all his other comments over the seasons. This week he claimed Cloke will never play for the club again, and guess what.

PS: The Geelong loss in round 13 last year was worse than this one - so he is wrong

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I just hate him. Can't stand what he says about us - maybe it is the way he has a go. Have a look at all his other comments over the seasons. This week he claimed Cloke will never play for the club again, and guess what.

PS: The Geelong loss in round 13 last year was worse than this one - so he is wrong
    Whilst we lost by more against Geelong last year, last night was our worst performance since the beginning of 2016.

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst we lost by more against Geelong last year, last night was our worst performance since the beginning of 2016.
    By a mile.

The Geelong loss may have been a bigger margin, but in terms of the way we performed, it was unacceptable.

Post Thanks / Like

Since round 21 2015, our biggest losses have been:

1. Round 21 2015 Eagles - 77 points

2. Round 13 2016 - Geelong 57 points

and last night.

All other losses in that time period have been around 4 goals and under.

I still think the Geelong one last year was worse than last night and the Eagles was even worse than that, which makes Watson's statement BS because he can't be bothered researching. The Geelong loss was at Etihad where we play well and we were never in it and only made a 5 minute charge in the 3rd quarter, but just smashed all night.

Under Bevo the other big loss was 70 points to Hawks in 2015.

Anyway all academic. I am confident we will bounce back next week as this one surely must hurt the players

Post Thanks / Like

Every club has now played a stinker this year. It happens. The key is how the team respond to adversity.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Media pigs out To paint negativity . Where were they when geelong got beaten by dons or eagles choking against dons and the suns ? Also teams have worked out our game plan and have adjusted and targetted our game and key players. Last year they played their own game and we were always the underdogs. I trust in system that Bevo has and what the coaches will do that adjust.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a bit more to than the scoreboard BAD. You have to measure the level of fight by the players on the day. Last nights effort might not exactly be the worst under Bevo but it deserves to be mentioned alongside of those other bad performances.

Like you I don't rate Watson either but I'm not going to nitpick the content of what he has said because in essence he is close enough to being spot on.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

14. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We were horrible. I can only hope it's something we can turn around
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Watson is right, that was our worst performance under Bevo. Watson also said that after the St.Kilda win 'we were back!'. I'm not sure what game he watched but when i left Etihad after the win there was no way i thought 'we were back'. I thought we were very ordinary & lucky that the saints were woeful.

Its been tough to watch us this year. After what we all experienced last year i guess i thought we would continue where we left off. Other than the GWS game & the second half against the lions we haven't been the same team at all.

I honestly was hoping we would lose by more against the swans because only then would the media wake up & write some negative articles about us. Maybe some negative press will wake us from our slumber, one can only hope!

17. Likes 1eyedog liked this post