Link

The reporters had headed out the door, the cameras were being packed up, and Luke Beveridge's pre-match press conference on Saturday at Whitten Oval was over. Except it wasn't.

The Western Bulldogs premiership coach had ventured away from the press conference room, but something had been left unsaid, and so he walked back, telling journalists that an important matter was on his mind: Runners.

Beveridge said he had listened to the "vibration" about the on-field messengers which has followed an investigation into whether Greater Western Sydney runner Nick Maxwell broke AFL rules by positioning himself tactically during the Giants' loss to Carlton last weekend. Since that happened, the role of runners has been debated greatly, with AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan on Friday flagging a possible review about their place in the game.

Beveridge wasn't going to sit back quietly on the issue, calling back the press to extend what had already been an 11-minute session. "I don't want to be too controversial in regards to it, and I won't comment on Nick and GWS' situation," Beveridge said.

"But when we think about our game, on a very, very big arena, and the game doesn't stop, you need to get messages to your players. How do you get it if you haven't got a runner?

"I can't wait until the end of the quarter.

"Our runner and head of conditioning Matty Inness is probably the most conservative runner in the business. I want him to get out there and in the mix, but he's so paranoid of giving away free kicks and getting in the way that he's very much on the periphery."

Beveridge said the potential ramifications stretched well beyond the elite level too. "The big problem is when you think about junior level as well, if we don't have runners, do then we say to the under 15s ... well you can't have a runner. Kids need direction.

"Some of the decisions we make around how we change the game, we have to have the foresight, and the vision, and crystal ball a little bit to think about the knock-on effects of changing something like that."

Beveridge said he was fearful about the direction of the conversation surrounding runners, suggesting the topic would be on the agenda when the AFL coaches meet Gillon McLachlan for their annual get together. "I'm worried about the vibration. I'm worried about the messaging coming out from the coaching fraternity and even the consideration and the possibility that the AFL are looking at it."

Remarkably this was not the first time Beveridge had urged reporters to return at the end of a press gathering. In 2015 he summoned journalists back to criticise Gold Coast for their mid-season poaching of then-Bulldogs fitness chief Justin Cordy.

While runners are a concern, Beveridge's more pressing task is to get the Bulldogs back to their winning ways, starting with Sunday's match against Melbourne at Etihad Stadium. The Dogs have lost three of their last four matches, leading Beveridge to make five changes from the team that lost to Sydney last round. Among the inclusions is 2014 best and fairest Tom Liberatore, who has been recalled to the side after more than a month on the outer. Beveridge said Liberatore had done what was needed at VFL level to earn back his spot. "We're not expecting him to get the three Brownlow votes ... but we know we'll get him back to somewhere near his best tomorrow."

One of those to lose their spot in the team was former captain Matthew Boyd, who has been dropped despite being an All-Australian last season. Beveridge said it had been hard to dump the veteran, but tipped he would work his way back. "It's a real challenging one," Beveridge said.

"Historically, for all the players that have walked the corridors of the Whitten Oval, he's one of the most dignified and respected characters.

"He understands why [he's been dropped]. He probably just hasn't been anywhere near his best in recent times."

Forward Travis Cloke will miss the game with soreness. "He's just not right at the moment. He'll have the week off and re-load," Beveridge said.

Positively for the club, captain Bob Murphy trained with the main group on Saturday morning as he nears a return from a hamstring injury suffered in round 10.