Thanks Thanks:  37
Likes Likes:  97
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The official 2017 TandT Who to Root for Thread

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Wouldn't mind Sydney or Port winning. Port have no chance so Sydney it is.

My preference goes like this:

1. Sydney
    2. Port
    3. WC
    4. Richmond
    5. Adelaide
    6. Geelong
    7. Bombers

8. GWS
    Yep, but Essendon right alongside GWS at the foot of your table. Hird giving the Norm Smith to Watson or Goddard is as unpalatable a scenario as could be envisaged.

Port are the sleepers for me. They have genuine match winners who have performed on the big stage previously. They'll take care of West Coke and would fancy their chances against a supremely overrared GWS in week 2. They then cop Richmond or Geelong in a PF, neither of whom would worry them.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Yep, but Essendon right alongside GWS at the foot of your table. Hird giving the Norm Smith to Watson or Goddard is as unpalatable a scenario as could be envisaged.

Port are the sleepers for me. They have genuine match winners who have performed on the big stage previously. They'll take care of West Coke and would fancy their chances against a supremely overrared GWS in week 2. They then cop Richmond or Geelong in a PF, neither of whom would worry them.
    I'd be sick if Essendon won but I hate GWS that much. Thankfully, the Bombers will likely get a thumping in week one and that will be the highest peak they reach.

Port are definite smokies but they're just as likely to turn their toes up. Hard to get a read on them.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

As even as this season has been, it has undoubtedly resulted in a number of small time teams making the finals. Think there's going to be some severely disappointing performances.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I'd be sick if Essendon won but I hate GWS that much. Thankfully, the Bombers will likely get a thumping in week one and that will be the highest peak they reach.

Port are definite smokies but they're just as likely to turn their toes up. Hard to get a read on them.
    Essendon almost won last time they played at the SCG. A last minute goal from Sydney won them the game.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Essendon almost won last time they played at the SCG. A last minute goal from Sydney won them the game.
    That's true, but if you recall, Essendon were coming off the bye and the Swans a six day break from a tough game interstate against a flag contender.

They'll pump Essendon this time. (It's all I have left..!!)

Post Thanks / Like

Sydney will destroy Essendon by over 10 goals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    That's true, but if you recall, Essendon were coming off the bye and the Swans a six day break from a tough game interstate against a flag contender.

They'll pump Essendon this time. (It's all I have left..!!)
    Based on their current form I'm inclined to agree.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I called Essendon as Premiers about a month ago so I will reluctantly stick to self interest.

When Essendon get beaten I will go across to the Swans or Port and if they are no longer in it then it's Spring Carnival and cricket season. A test match being played makes the transition easier, although Australia are doing their best to get it over with quickly.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get the hate for Richmond. So many false dawns for their supporters, they deserve this one

They only need to win 3 games on their home ground and they are premiers
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Don't get the hate for Richmond. So many false dawns for their supporters, they deserve this one

I could live with them winning the flag
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post

I lived through the late 60s and that wasn't so bad for the footy romantic, it was a great team full of stars and with a likeable coach in Tom Hafey. Only the meanest of people could begrudge them that success. By 73-74 however there boof head supporters were everywhere and an arrogant, crowing Richmond supporter combines the sportsmanship of your average Essendon supporter along with the goodwill of your average Collungwoid supporter. They are an ugly, ugly supporter base that react worse to success than any Victorian club.

And Matthew Knights and his mate honest Wayne Campbell.

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking a bit more about it I was at Richmonds last two grand final appearances. 1980 and 1982. Nearly broke my hand trying to get my binoculars out of there case when Helen D'amico streaked onto the ground just after halftime in 1982!

Post Thanks / Like

I saw Richmond win in '67 in what was one of the great grand finals. So it's Tigers for me. Then Port. Ken Hinckley seems like a good bloke. Swans next. Their supporters were pretty gracious in defeat.
    Throw a blanket over the rest. I detest them equally.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I saw Richmond win in '67 in what was one of the great grand finals. So it's Tigers for me. Then Port. Ken Hinckley seems like a good bloke. Swans next. Their supporters were pretty gracious in defeat.
    Throw a blanket over the rest. I detest them equally.

That moment when Royce Hart plants his boot in Denis Marshalls(?) face during the 1967 grand final while he was running backwards flying for a mark is one of the great moments on footy history. What a mark! And it's less than a goal the difference late in the last quarter when he dies it.

Royce Hart is the best player I've seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That moment when Royce Hart plants his boot in Denis Marshalls(?) face during the 1967 grand final while he was running backwards flying for a mark is one of the great moments on footy history. What a mark! And it's less than a goal the difference late in the last quarter when he dies it.

Royce Hart is the best player I've seen.
    Roy West?
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."