Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  15
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: #Freekickoppositionteams

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I don't agree that 1-4 are almost equal. Looking at this years likely top 4 - getting a top 2 spot and not having to travel is crucial. If GWS and Adelaide get 1st and 2nd - then the grand final spots are theirs to lose. If, for instance, Geelong got their noses in front of Adelaide - then Adelaide would likely travel to Skilled Stadium (or at least the MCG) week one of the finals. Say they lose that and play Port Adelaide week 2 at Adelaide oval....pretty crucial that they finish 3rd rather than 2nd in that sort of a scenario.
    I'm not sure it's that big an issue anymore.

I looked at the stats, 2006-2010 had barely any upsets and barely any wins away from home, but 2011-2015 had heaps.

Looking at just the first week of finals, 8 teams that finished lower than their opponent won (12 favourites won).
    And of the matches where there was a clear home ground advantage it was a 6/6 split.

Breaking it down further of the upsets only 2 were in the top four (with 8 favourites winning), but both of them were away matches with a clear home advantage (home sides won 4 games).

In the 5-8 section you were more likely to win if you were the underdog, with 6 upsets (and 4 expected results), and away sides won 4 games to the home sides 2.

So positions 5-8 are clearly irrelevant regardless of finishing position or home ground (although a lot of them would have lost the next week, which doesn't disprove the argument), while the top 2 sides seem to be better than 3-4.

Anyway this is getting in confusing territory where I forget what I am arguing. I still think there are largely two tiers of top four and top 8 with positions within that not so important, home ground advantage in finals helps but I'm not sure it is that big a factor, especially in even years where there is little separating teams.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Great to see Bevo take on this ridiculous argument that we are favoured by the umpires.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-3...mp-bias-claims

After Sam Edmund's article on last week's game, I emailed him and challenged him to do some analysis on free kicks paid and unpaid over several dogs games to ascertain whether the calls were accurate. Still waiting for a response.

Staggered that no journalist has decided to do this sort of analysis.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

3. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Strong enquiries made at the end of last year"

No doubt that was from sydney.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Great to see Bevo take on this ridiculous argument that we are favoured by the umpires.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-3...mp-bias-claims

After Sam Edmund's article on last week's game, I emailed him and challenged him to do some analysis on free kicks paid and unpaid over several dogs games to ascertain whether the calls were accurate. Still waiting for a response.

Staggered that no journalist has decided to do this sort of analysis.
    Listen to the whole press conference here
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    "Strong enquiries made at the end of last year"

No doubt that was from sydney.
    Had to blame somebody for their consistent GF failures

Post Thanks / Like

2 interesting things out of Bevo's press conference:

1. He hates Brad Scott
    2. His reaction to Boyd's under 18 coaches call for Tom to be played as a forward.....

Post Thanks / Like

1. He hates Brad Scott
    2. His reaction to Boyd's under 18 coaches call for Tom to be played as a forward.....
    I read that article on SEN and laughed. Here is the link if you are interested.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

1. He hates Brad Scott

I think he just hates the Scott twins full stop.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I think he just hates the Scott twins full stop.
    Who doesn't

12. Likes Twodogs, The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo and Scott were in the Player Development/Assistant coaching group at Collingwood around 2009-2010. Wonder if there was any stories to come from that time? Buckley also became senior assistant to Malthouse in 2010 so it would've been a pretty lively coaching environment at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Loved Bevo's reactions when asked about comments from Tom Boyd's former coach.. "Who"

Enjoyed that presser! It's just hilarious the two incidents being brought up were both blatantly obviously the correct call. Plus the free kick that led to Higgins getting that set shot wasn't there.

Post Thanks / Like

At the 10:50 mark of the interview when the the reporter mentions damian barrett's name.

Wow, he has soooo much contempt for barrett is not funny, ok it is a little bit.

Never change Bevo.

16. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Who doesn't

Not me, that's for sure.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Just wait to you see the biblical proportion reaming we get from the umpires on Friday night. I have already planned to get to the exact amount of beers in me that I need to have all inhibitions released so I can yell out "Hashtag freekickadelaide" loud and frequently.
    I believe the magic beer number is about 6.
    Last edited by The Adelaide Connection; 04-07-2017 at 04:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't see any of the game on the weekend, but on the footy shows monday night, both showed how the holding the ball rule has been lost on everyone. A few of the examples involved our game and all of these were us tackling the eagles.....i cannot say how bewildering those non-calls were. In one example, the eagles player stiff-armed two of our players before being tackled and dropping the ball.....yet it was play-on. Either the umpires made several mistakes or they were trying not to give us free kicks after the media reports during the week.

Friday night scares me.

Also i am in no way suggesting the umpiring lost us the game. It wasn't even close to being the case. But the integrity of the umpires is starting to be questioned when 2 performances from them have been strange in the 2 weeks following media reports of complaints of favouritism to us (vs Sydney and last week)