Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where does your club rank on the key goalkicking stats for the 2017 AFL season?

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It happens. He has kicked 14.14 this year - not a good percentage.

I was talking in general about his kicking around the ground.
    Over his career - I'd love to see Bont's goal kicking for last quarters vs all other quarters.
    If he is lining up for goal early in the game - I only have a medium level of confidence, but if it is last quarter and game on the line - put it in the book.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where does your club rank on the key goalkicking stats for the 2017 AFL season?

Ben Brown's run up is sooooo very long but he is an accurate shot for goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Ahmed Saad also says hello.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post

Michael Holding is waving from heaven.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Michael Holding is waving from heaven.
    All very good examples of players who either didn't play the game, managed to get a few games in or seem to be cobbling a decent career together.

My point is, long run ups give too much time to think and allow for technical issues to creep in. I've long held the belief that a shorter and purposeful run up would get a better result, and honestly, that belief was derived from practice through my late teens and amateur career, coupled with an obsessive attitude towards the topic.

I look at other football codes and see long range free kicks, try conversions and field conversions which are all short run up concerns, and believe we've got something to learn from them.

With respect to AFL specifically, I ask, why is everyone under pressure much more likely to hit a field kick to a target than they are to hit a set shot?

Might it have something to do with the shorter run up?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    All very good examples of players who either didn't play the game, managed to get a few games in or seem to be cobbling a decent career together.

My point is, long run ups give too much time to think and allow for technical issues to creep in. I've long held the belief that a shorter and purposeful run up would get a better result, and honestly, that belief was derived from practice through my late teens and amateur career, coupled with an obsessive attitude towards the topic.

I look at other football codes and see long range free kicks, try conversions and field conversions which are all short run up concerns, and believe we've got something to learn from them.

With respect to AFL specifically, I ask, why is everyone under pressure much more likely to hit a field kick to a target than they are to hit a set shot?

Might it have something to do with the shorter run up
    ?
    And nothing to do with the fact that the kick is over a shorter distance and aiming to achieve a different purpose, or that the recipient of a kick has the advantage of movement that goalposts do not have?

Field kicking is inherently different to goalkicking.

7. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Might it have something to do with the shorter run up?
    I don't think that the length of the run up has anything to do with it at all.

The best kicks at goal from set shots are invariably the players who have a set routine that they don't tinker with, with good efficient ball drops. If you picture Tony Lockett or Matt Lloyd - every set shot was exactly the same reliable routine - and the results followed.

Chris Grant was a brilliant field kick - but in the first probably 12-13 years of his career, he would tinker with his approach and it just made him worse. Late in his career, he looked far more relaxed with every shot having the identical approach, and he hardly ever missed.

Josh Dunkley is an awful set shot - and he has a short approach. He takes only a handful of steps, and has a terrible ball drop.