Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  85
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom Boyd to take leave of absence

Tom Boyd (above) has been granted a leave of absence from the Club while he receives treatment for clinical depression.

Western Bulldogs forward Tom Boyd has been provided a leave of absence from the Club while he receives treatment for clinical depression.
    Tom has managed his illness in conjunction with the Bulldogs’ medical staff for an extended period, and will continue to receive the Club’s full support as he works through this challenge.

Tom has indicated a desire to return to playing as soon as possible, and the Club will work closely with Tom and the Bulldogs’ medical staff to determine a suitable time for reintegration into the training program.

The Club will continue to provide an extensive support framework to help Tom manage his illness, and asks for the respect for Tom’s position during this time.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd to take leave of absence

This year keeps going from bad to worse.

3. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Unbelievable. I gotta say though, he always striked me as a guy who could fall into depression. I feel for him. And shows how keyboard warriors just need to STFU.

Hope he gets well and can return and play some great footy for our club.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish Tom all the best and hope to see him back playing footy again soon.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Jeez, poor fella, having to live in the public eye, havingevery move scrutinised, and this...

All the best Tommy, look forward to seeing you up and about as soon as you can.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Testing times for the club. Really important that we have the infrastructure to manage these sorts of issues.....and I think we do.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Not trying to make light of the situation at all but jeez our 2 tall forwards with depression. I knew being a tall forward for the bulldogs was tough but not that tough!

In all seriousness i hope Tom and Trav make full recoveries. It's times like these you realise how trivial football really is in the grand scheme of things.

It's a long bow to draw, but could these issues with Tom and Trav be taking a mental toll on the playing group? It's a bloody tough thing to go through for the individual themselves but for the others it can really make you think about life and you could be forgiven for losing a bit of focus. To be honest i hope JJ doesn't fall into the same path. I'm purely reading body language but it's been quite similar to Tom's.

9. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Real issue for not only sportsmen ( and women) but society in general . I think it's always lingered but been hidden by sporting clubs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Not trying to make light of the situation at all but jeez our 2 tall forwards with depression. I knew being a tall forward for the bulldogs was tough but not that tough!

In all seriousness i hope Tom and Trav make full recoveries. It's times like these you realise how trivial football really is in the grand scheme of things.

It's a long bow to draw, but could these issues with Tom and Trav be taking a mental toll on the playing group? It's a bloody tough thing to go through for the individual themselves but for the others it can really make you think about life and you could be forgiven for losing a bit of focus. To be honest i hope JJ doesn't fall into the same path. I'm purely reading body language but it's been quite similar to Tom's.
    Maybe JJ should just sign up and show confidence in the club and give us all a big boast.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Considering the media beat up he's received he has done very well to keep It all together

All the best Tom.

Post Thanks / Like

Much love to Tom, hope he gets the help and support he needs.

I'm dreading listen to the neanderthals in the AFL media covering this.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Geez this sounds quite serious considering the word choice used on the site.

Cloke was listed as "mental health issues" as opposed to "clinical depression"

Glad he has been able to call out as needing help and hope he gets better in time.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait for those who have smashed him in the media to say their abhorrent behaviour in generating public hatred had nothing to do with it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Well......*!*!*!*!
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

Very sad news and you just wonder how he has managed to cope with so much publicity and expectation given the move to the WB in very unusual circumstances, to then play a significant role in our 2016 Premiership win and now this unfortunate news. Let's hope that this is a very temporary hiccup and that he can return to full health quickly.