Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  85
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd to take leave of absence

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Can't wait for those who have smashed him in the media to say their abhorrent behaviour in generating public hatred had nothing to do with it.
    Watch Barrett go quiet all of a sudden.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Watch Barrett go quiet all of a sudden.
    Hopefully.

I sincerely hope that Tom gets better. Quality guy and i wish him all the success in recovery and what will be a long road ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

Also that moron Denham and gossip columnist Caro

Post Thanks / Like

I hope he gets well soon.

While many in society and in the football industry say the "right" things about mental illness and clinical depression by and large, I'm not sure many fully understand how these illnesses impact people.

I know I don't. Perhaps if more people admitted that it would make people more open to learning how they do, and we can become better at managing the problem.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it serves much purpose to attribute blame or to speculate as to why exactly Tom is suffering depression.

Everyone is quick to blame either media scrutiny, or social media - for players suffering depression. But depression can also be indiscriminate and affect even those who appear on the surface to have it all and have great lives.

Post Thanks / Like

Feel sorry for the young bloke.

Boyd has probably copped more than any other young high draft pick, except for Watts.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Will always be a Bulldogs premiership champion, who had a massive influence on the most enjoyable day of our footballing lives. Hopefully he takes all the time he needs to get well, he owes us nothing.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

10. Likes merantau, Danny the snakeman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Poor bloke. Get well soon Tom.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Hope I don't have to listen to Leigh Matthews express any opinion....the same bloke who declared he hoped Tom would fail when he signed up with the dogs.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

May all at the Club wrap their arms around him to help him remedy this terrible illness.
    All the best Tom.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Geez this sounds quite serious considering the word choice used on the site.

Cloke was listed as "mental health issues" as opposed to "clinical depression"

Glad he has been able to call out as needing help and hope he gets better in time.
    Yes clinical depression is apparently a very serious condition, another step above chronic depression, sounds a serious illness. Get well soon young man, hopefully without too much medication.
    Footscray Football Republic.

15. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's some information on different types of depression.

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-fa...-of-depression
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

17. Thanks Twodogs, BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've read previously about techniques to drag your mind out of repetitive negative thought as I tend to ruminate on ...things...one idea was to visualize something floating away, like a lantern on a Thai beach.

But since October 1 last year, recalling Toby jumping on Tom's shoulders as he runs arms outstretched to celebrate *that* goal drags me out of any pattern I'm in. It hasn't failed to work yet.

We all love you Tom, you've helped plenty and wouldn't even know it. Get well soon mate.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

19. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    I've read previously about techniques to drag your mind out of repetitive negative thought as I tend to ruminate on ...things...one idea was to visualize something floating away, like a lantern on a Thai beach.

But since October 1 last year, recalling Toby jumping on Tom's shoulders as he runs arms outstretched to celebrate *that* goal drags me out of any pattern I'm in. It hasn't failed to work yet.

We all love you Tom, you've helped plenty and wouldn't even know it. Get well soon mate.
    Mental illness is a prick of thing. Big Tom actually lived that moment, he was that moment...which for many is no doubt a huge source of joy, yet the man himself is battling. The brain is a bizarre piece of work.

21. Thanks The Pie Man, BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I hope he gets well soon.

While many in society and in the football industry say the "right" things about mental illness and clinical depression by and large, I'm not sure many fully understand how these illnesses impact people.

I know I don't. Perhaps if more people admitted that it would make people more open to learning how they do, and we can become better at managing the problem.
    Hopefully his depression is not as bad as some of those on the list. Fassolo, seemed to come back pretty quickly, and Cloke may be playing this Sunday. I am hoping a couple of weeks and Tom will be back.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.