Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  85
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd to take leave of absence

A few comments, bit of a rant because this news upset me today.

The footy media narrative around mental health annoys me. I can't quite put my finger on it but I don't think it is genuine. Have been living and breathing this stuff for 10 years now and the behaviour of the same blokes who trot out the same cliches when news like today's breaks just doesn't add up. It's good that the awareness has lifted and some of the stigma around anxiety and depression has lessened, but there is a long way to go. I'm not sure any of them actually would understand thelived exoerience. They are severely lacking in empathy.

I feel really sad about this news and just want to wish Tom all the best as he works through his recovery. With the right support, time and some action things can improve and we all hold hope that whatever the experience so far has taken from Tom, he can get those things back and get what he wants most out of life. Just wish that as a community, the positive stuff and affirming regard we have for him could have been a protective factor. It still can.

I've used this animation in some presentations, it's from the WHO and offers some insight:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCrniLQGYc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    A few comments, bit of a rant because this news upset me today.

The footy media narrative around mental health annoys me. I can't quite put my finger on it but I don't think it is genuine. Have been living and breathing this stuff for 10 years now and the behaviour of the same blokes who trot out the same cliches when news like today's breaks just doesn't add up. It's good that the awareness has lifted and some of the stigma around anxiety and depression has lessened, but there is a long way to go. I'm not sure any of them actually would understand thelived exoerience. They are severely lacking in empathy.

I feel really sad about this news and just want to wish Tom all the best as he works through his recovery. With the right support, time and some action things can improve and we all hold hope that whatever the experience so far has taken from Tom, he can get those things back and get what he wants most out of life. Just wish that as a community, the positive stuff and affirming regard we have for him could have been a protective factor. It still can.

I've used this animation in some presentations, it's from the WHO and offers some insight:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCrniLQGYc
    Yeah it's similar to how they react to sexism or racism. They just do or say "the right thing" without actually having any real empathy as to the actual reason why it's bad/wrong.

3. Likes Rocco Jones, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think unless you have lived it or someone close to you has lived it no one under stands how much the black dog can affect people. And it doesn't discriminate, you could be the king of England or the Melton Bogan, it doesn't matter depression or related illnesses can take hold.

Too often I've been told just to cheer up, or stop feeling so down. Doesn't work like that.

I wish big Tom all the best and hope that the club, the afl and his family can help to find him the help he needs.

5. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes ratsmac, Flamethrower, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Poor Tom. I hope he hasn't been living with this shit condition for too long. My wife suffers from this piece of crap and it's hard watching her suffer especially when there is nothing I can do but support her through it. It can be hard for the family a times also which doesn't help her situation either.

As much as I want Tom playing for purely selfish reasons, I hope he takes all the time and gets the best help he needs to get on top of this condition.

Get well Tom
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

7. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Adding my voice to the chorus of RWB faithful.....Get well Big Tom. A premiership hero. In my eyes he should have won the Norm Smith. Bigger fish to fry than footy now though. Brave to tell us. Bevo spoke so well, I am confident the Club and no doubt his friends and family will rally around him as he manages his condition.

9. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sad day. Really feeling for Tom. Having been exposed to someone with clinical depression, I know how hard it is for them. Tom's family, and all the boys, need to get around Tom, but also give him the space and time he needs.
    Footscray member since 1980.

theride2016 Guest

Hoping that Tom gets better soon and gets the support he needs.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear this news. All the best for your recovery Tom. You have our full support.

Post Thanks / Like

I tweeted Tom my best wishes, and recommend anyone here on Twitter do the same. I'm sure he's copping it from the idiots of the world right now, a large number of positive messages overwhelming that might brighten his day
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

14. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My only advice to Tom would be, grab a beer sit back on couch with close mates and watch the GF again. Works for me.

16. Likes ReLoad, craigsahibee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with many of the sentiments expressed re the conduct of the media and its commentators who are focused on progressing their own careers at the expense of others.

All the best for a full recovery Tom. You hold a special place in our hearts.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    I tweeted Tom my best wishes, and recommend anyone here on Twitter do the same. I'm sure he's copping it from the idiots of the world right now, a large number of positive messages overwhelming that might brighten his day
    I did too.

19. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems it's been an ongoing issue that he's been managing:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/western...05-gx54yh.html
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

21. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Seems it's been an ongoing issue that he's been managing:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/western...05-gx54yh.html
    Boyd still doing some basic training. Perhaps he gets back this year?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Tom you are a legend of our football club. A premiership player. Hope you get well soon. We all support you in your endeavours.

24. Likes Eastdog, merantau liked this post