Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Round 23

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 23

All good points Oz. Very devilish.

In the end it really doesn't matter I guess.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Devils advocate.....

It gives the league the flexibility to schedule Hawthorn v Dogs on a Friday night now that they know it will be Hodge (and probably Bob and Boyd's) last game, rather than it potentially end up on a 4:40pm Saturday arvo fixture or something like that.

Similarly they now know that the Tigers\Saints game will be one of big consequence for finals spots - and potentially Riewoldt and Montagna's last game - and maybe it gets a Saturday night slot.

I realize it is not necessary in terms of fairness and breaks before finals - but still gives the league the opportunity to showcase the biggest 'events' of the weekend at the best times.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If the important games, or the farewell games are in the bad timeslots - then they get criticized for that too.
    Counter devil to that is why not do it for round 22-21-20 19-18 etc etc. Every week there are important matches not on FTA and you just live with it.

Most people won't criticise the AFL for not predicting what games will be important in round 23.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Counter devil to that is why not do it for round 22-21-20 19-18 etc etc. Every week there are important matches not on FTA and you just live with it.

Most people won't criticise the AFL for not predicting what games will be important in round 23.
    Would you have a bye in between each round?

Post Thanks / Like

Considering how close the ladder is this year, perhaps it's time for the AFL to adopt the EPL way and play all nine fixtures at the same time Saturday afternoon to stop manipulation of results by the teams. (Leave that for the AFL and their umpires).
    Footscray member since 1980.

5. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Considering how close the ladder is this year, perhaps it's time for the AFL to adopt the EPL way and play all nine fixtures at the same time Saturday afternoon to stop manipulation of results by the teams. (Leave that for the AFL and their umpires).
    Where would you play the matches?

Only one game played at the MCG and one game played at Etihad isn't going to please the AFL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Would you have a bye in between each round?
    Not a bye, an unset fixture so you can make sure the important games are on TV.

And I wouldn't do it was more my point

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Not a bye, an unset fixture so you can make sure the important games are on TV.

And I wouldn't do it was more my point
    Yeah, I was just extracting the urine. If we did have byes the season would run a couple of months longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Percentage apparently takes care of any manipulation that may occur.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ClothesBootsMotorcycle View Post
    Where would you play the matches?

Only one game played at the MCG and one game played at Etihad isn't going to please the AFL.
    Etihad
    MCG
    Adelaide Oval
    Gabba
    SCG
    Metricon
    Spotless
    Subiaco
    Kardinia Park

You're basically handing a big "*!*!*!*! you" to all bar three Victorian clubs.

It's a great big no from me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Etihad
    MCG
    Adelaide Oval
    Gabba
    SCG
    Metricon
    Spotless
    Subiaco
    Kardinia Park

You're basically handing a big "*!*!*!*! you" to all bar three Victorian clubs.

It's a great big no from me.
    Whitten Oval
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes Eastdog, Twodogs, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Whitten Oval
    Yes I would love that
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Devils advocate.....

It gives the league the flexibility to schedule Hawthorn v Dogs on a Friday night now that they know it will be Hodge (and probably Bob and Boyd's) last game, rather than it potentially end up on a 4:40pm Saturday arvo fixture or something like that.

Similarly they now know that the Tigers\Saints game will be one of big consequence for finals spots - and potentially Riewoldt and Montagna's last game - and maybe it gets a Saturday night slot.

I realize it is not necessary in terms of fairness and breaks before finals - but still gives the league the opportunity to showcase the biggest 'events' of the weekend at the best times.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If the important games, or the farewell games are in the bad timeslots - then they get criticized for that too.
    All it gives is the chance for the AFL to garner even more unwarranted media exposure and column inches. We survived perfectly well until a couple of years ago without a floating fixture, and the only reason we have the bye is because the code is completely beholden to the gambling companies, who do not respond kindly to mass player resting in R23.

Now that we have the bye, the floating fixture is not needed at all IMO.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Cool idea but would be tough to implement nowadays with most of the suburban grounds no longer used.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yeah, I was just extracting the urine. If we did have byes the season would run a couple of months longer.
    arg

Thought that might be the case as soon as I posted. Now I shall never recover from my shame

17. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Because the TV networks would hate it, the AFEL would never start all R23 games simultaneously. The only reasonable argument I can see for retaining a floating draw for R23 would be to at least start the 2 or 3 games that direcly impact each other at the same time. So if 2 teams sitting 8th and 9th are on the same points with similar percentage, they could be both put on Saturday night (for example).