Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Grand finals/finals series/premierships

Odd question I guess but I'm an odd person. For he sake of this exercise let's call AFL and Gaelic Football major sporting codes, they are the major domestic football codes in their respective nations so they fit this purpose. So we have (the) NFL, EPL, AFL, Gaelic Football, ARL (I guess).

I'm interested in which competitions have post seasons and which don't so I am treating the EPL as all major soccer comps because all the really big ones have no post season to decide the winner.

So soccer has no post season but the others do-if Gaelic Football does. I wonder why? Does anyone know how Gaelic football decide its winner?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grand finals/finals series/premierships

Gaelic football is a bit of a different beast all together. I worked with an Irish guy and he tried to explain it to me. There are multiple competitions. The main or most prestigious competition is purely a knock-out competition. It's fairly short lived.

Then there is the League which has a regular season and then knock-out finals. This is like preparation for the main knock-out competition i described above (but it's still serious. It's not like our preseason or anything). Interestingly, this league has 2 divisions which we may see in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Gaelic football is a bit of a different beast all together. I worked with an Irish guy and he tried to explain it to me. There are multiple competitions. The main or most prestigious competition is purely a knock-out competition. It's fairly short lived.

Then there is the League which has a regular season and then knock-out finals. This is like preparation for the main knock-out competition i described above (but it's still serious. It's not like our preseason or anything). Interestingly, this league has 2 divisions which we may see in the future.
    Does the serious preseason competition carry much kudos for winning it? Or is it all about the knock out comp (it's a county based system isn't it?) I wonder if you can transfer between counties or is it a state of origin thing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Does the serious preseason competition carry much kudos for winning it? Or is it all about the knock out comp (it's a county based system isn't it?) I wonder if you can transfer between counties or is it a state of origin thing?
    Yeah it is a county thing. Not sure on the kudos of the preseason competition. I suppose you need to live there to get a feel for it. It might even be that not all the best players play in it, but i really have no idea. There are also provincial championships which are qualifiers for the main knockout tournament. So essentially each province is it's own league where counties within the province play off against each other (again in knock-out format). The winner goes through to the main knock-out competition which sees the top teams from all the provinces in Ireland play against each other. Whether these provincial tournaments are more or less serious than the preseason league i'm not sure. But given they are qualifiers for the main knock-out tournament, i would suspect they would be more. So there's a fair bit going on. A lot different from most other codes around the world.

5. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This taken from wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...ague_(Ireland)

"The National Football League is the second most prestigious inter-county Gaelic Football competition after the All-Ireland Senior Football Championship"

The National Football League was the 'serious preseason comp' i was talking about. So it appears this is more prestigious than the provincial leagues.

So to me, it seems that the All-Ireland Championship is the most sort after trophy. And part of this is qualifying through the provincial leagues. So really, that makes the provincial leagues quite important. Then you have the National Football League which more or less is like winning the FA cup in english football. A completely separate competition to the main one but it's the 2nd most sort after trophy. Hope that makes sense. So ultimately, for Gaelic footballs most highly sort trophy, it is pure knock-out/finals. No regular season so to speak. Quite unique. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

7. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They really go for the knock out comps over there hey?