Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "The purest kicking action"

So we sold off our best players? No wonder we couldn't get anywhere.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

You might like to throw in Leon Cameron for the best kick on their non-preferred foot. He actually kicked better on his left than his right. I also reckon Billy Kolinuik was deadly on his left foot around goal as was Brian Royal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Every year.

You couldn't comprehend how bad it was.

I've posted a team something like this before, but:

B: Hardie, Sandilands, Rance
    HB: McLean, McGhie, Eppulstun
    C: Collins, Featherby, Thorpe
    HF: McGuinness, Templeton, Stoneham
    F: Edmond, Quinlan, Huppatz
    R: Dempsey, Dunstan, Bissett
    I: Round, Low, Morrison, Wilson

I haven't even included the more recent ones like Hawkins, Cameron, Brown, Penny & Montgomery.

This side contains 5 club captains, 4 Brownlow medalists, 15 best & fairest's, 4 Coleman medalists, 11 club goalkicking awards and 2 members of our Team of the Century!

And other supporters say it's our current administrations fault we can't make ends meet!

PS: And only Thorpe and McGhie ever played in premierships with other clubs (unless Collins played in Carlton's in 79 but I don't think he did).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post

This side contains 5 club captains, 4 Brownlow medalists, 15 best & fairest's, 4 Coleman medalists, 11 club goalkicking awards and 2 members of our Team of the Century!

And other supporters say it's our current administrations fault we can't make ends meet!
    Bloody hell! Over what period as that?

Did other struggling clubs do this? What did the departing players think of this? And the supporters?

Must have been a field day for rich clubs. That sucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Bloody hell! Over what period as that?

Did other struggling clubs do this? What did the departing players think of this? And the supporters?

Must have been a field day for rich clubs. That sucks.
    South Melbourne had to and so did Fitzroy later on. Remember what happened to them?

Ironically North were one of the worst player poachers at the time.

Bissett, Thorpe and McGhie would have been circa 1972-73 and McGuinness would have been the last in 1990. Most would have been in the 70's.

Not all of these guys were sold, quite a few wanted to play in premierships before they retired and obviously couldn't win with us because we sold so many players. The irony is we had a really good side in the mid-70's and if they had all stayed we would have given the premiership a real shake.

PS. That was 5 Footscray captains - Thorpe, Dempsey, Sandilands, Templeton and Edmond - Round, Quinlan and Rance captained the teams they went to as well!

Post Thanks / Like

South Melbourne had to and so did Fitzroy later on. Remember what happened to them?

Ironically North were one of the worst player poachers at the time.

Bissett, Thorpe and McGhie would have been circa 1972-73 and McGuinness would have been the last in 1990. Most would have been in the 70's.

Not all of these guys were sold, quite a few wanted to play in premierships before they retired and obviously couldn't win with us because we sold so many players. The irony is we had a really good side in the mid-70's and if they had all stayed we would have given the premiership a real shake.

PS. That was 5 Footscray captains - Thorpe, Dempsey, Sandilands, Templeton and Edmond - Round, Quinlan and Rance captained the teams they went to as well!
    ironically it was just like most round ball leagues today.

if one of the middle placed sides find a good player, a club like man u just buy them out, ensuring that the opposition don't threaten them and that they stay on top.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes we sold many players to keep the club alive. Those days there were no TV rights, sponsorship or a large amount of members to help the finances. Attendances at home grounds were lucky to be 20,000, more like 15,000 and most clubs were happy to get 10,000 members. Unless we sold players, the administration at the time didn't know what else to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    ironically it was just like most round ball leagues today.

if one of the middle placed sides find a good player, a club like man u just buy them out, ensuring that the opposition don't threaten them and that they stay on top.
    Thats why the draft should stay. In the premier league, only Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool will ever win the Championship.

Imagine what could happen if it was the same in AFL, especially with Collingwoods Funds. West Coast, Adelaide, Collingwood, Essendon, all cashed up, then it would be good bye for the rest.

Post Thanks / Like

Not all of those guys left in a fire-sale though.

Hardie hated Malthouse.
    McGuinness wanted to go home. As did Rance. Featherby wanted to play for the wooden spooners in Perth.

Round couldn't get a game in the ruck.

Wilson? Brian Wilson? If that is right he was a spaceman when he played with us...

As for the others, Hawkins was finished (what happened to your denials that he ever changed clubs), Penny had 'issues' with the playing group, Monty traded against his will, Brown wanted some more money, Cameron was an odd one I admit.

Post Thanks / Like

Every year.

B: Hardie, Sandilands, Rance
    HB: McLean, McGhie, Eppulstun
    C: Collins, Featherby, Thorpe
    HF: McGuinness, Templeton, Stoneham
    F: Edmond, Quinlan, Huppatz
    R: Dempsey, Dunstan, Bissett
    I: Round, Low, Morrison, Wilson

I haven't even included the more recent ones like Hawkins, Cameron, Brown, Penny & Montgomery.
    That's an illuminating if sobering exercise.

Changing tack slightly, while considering the inverse I thought it worth assembling a team of players we've brought in from other clubs.

Backs: Matty Dent - Trent Bartlett - Bernard Toohey
    Half Backs: Steven Koops - Kingsley Hunter - Tim Gepp
    Centre line: Nicky Winmar - Phil Maylin - Andrew Wills
    Half Fowards: Jade Rawlings - Simon Minton-Connell - Adam Morgan
    Forwards: Allen Jakovich - James Cook - Phil Krakouer
    Followers: Daniel Bandy - Luke Beveridge - Tony Buhagiar
    Interchange: Emmett Dunne - Bruce Duperouzel - Max Crow - Chris Hansen
    Emergencies from: Travis Baird - Scott Bassett - Marcus Picken - Stephen Lunne - Marty Pask - Robert Klomp - Tom Davidson

Some of those named were quality players, but not during their time out west.

Needless to say I maintain our record of acquiring retreads to be a pretty forgettable one...Eagleton who's not without his foibles and Robbins aside, have we ever brought in a player from a rival who's made a significant contribution to the club over the past odd quarter century?

Paul Hudson is not a satisfactory answer either.

Edit: Just remembered a bloke named Liberatore...and some feller named Foster, but for every one of them there's a dozen Shannon Rusca's. My point still stands.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Needless to say I maintain our record of acquiring retreads to be a pretty forgettable one...Eagleton who's not without his foibles and Robbins aside, have we ever brought in a player from a rival who's made a significant contribution to the club over the past odd quarter century?
    Both on & off the field. Jose Romero & Simon Garlick. Todd Curley was OK for us too.

The side we exported would thrash the side we imported.

Post Thanks / Like

What about the mighty import Peter Street?

This might be good to revisit at the end of the season, with Hudson and Welsh and a fit Aker hopefully to make a difference.

hargs37 Guest

Cannot possibly put Greg Eppulston in with those others. He maybe played 1 or 2 season at North and did nothing of note. The others, well what can you say. Magic had the most ability of all the Aboriganals I've ever seen. He was magnificent to watch. he and Hawk were magicians during the mid eigties. Guess the northern sun and wanting to be closer to family was to hard to deal. Rance was interesting. He ended up captaining WCE for a season didn't he? There are a few names that were signed to come the bullies in the eighties, but when the league expanded, they were able to stay home. Chris Lewis, and Simon Tregenza were 2 who jump to mind. Probably when you say Tony Mcguiness, you could also say Kym Koster got away pretty cheaply. Was another premiership player to boot. I don't think we can include Shane Ellen as one that got away, because he only played a couple of decent games after leaving the dogs. Just happened that one was a blinder in a grand final. I guess you could go back in time and look at what happened after 54 and more so 61. The club was never able to capitaqlise on the those GF appearences, and probably should have done better! I believe that the past 15 years have been our most productive, and that shows in our ability to entice players of the likes of Aker and Hudson to the club.

hargs37 Guest

Also forgot to mention Ian 'Mocca' Dunstan. He won 3 or 4 B&Fs before he left for the Roos in the early 80's as well. I'd put him ahead of Eppa!

hargs37 Guest

I certainly think we got excellent value out of Bernard Toohey. He was sensational down back, and probably taught the likes of Southo and Critter how its done in the back line. Can't really argue with the rest! (Maybe a couple of okay seasons from Beveridge and Dent) Nobody mentioned Fruitcake, Mick Ford. Cant remember where he came from, did nothing when he left, but Sumich was pissing himself when he'd kick his 12 goal on him at the WACA. Used to go out with Libby Gore aka Elle McFeast. Little bit of Hollywood at the Barkly st end of Whitten oval. Who said it never shone at the kennel?