Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bernard Tomic

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bernard Tomic

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I know that, but he is not representing Australia, he is from Australia.
    Doesn't matter. By virtue of being Australian, we (they) latch on to him. Anyway, when he plays tennis on an international stage, he is named as an Australian, so he really is representing us.
    "Who are you, and how did you get in here?"
    “I'm a locksmith...and...I'm a locksmith "

Post Thanks / Like

I watched it last night & it sounds like i'm on my Pat Malone here but i felt sorry for him. Don't get me wrong cause i don't condone his behaviour at all. I just think that Bernard is a classic example of not having the right kind of support network around him to be successful.

He comes across as a knob but really he just reminds me of a 15 year old kid who gets everything that he wants from his well off parents with everyone telling him how great he is. Reality is he is just an immature kid who is growing up in front of everyones eyes & doesn't have the support around him. The kid doesn't have anyone around him to keep him grounded & he thinks expensive cars & houses will make him happy. He might have millions but as we all know that saying 'money doesn't buy you happiness' & he doesn't look happy to me. I wouldn't want his life.

Would of loved for Melissa Doyle to have asked him who keeps you grounded? who challenges you? Thats his biggest issue, he lives in a movie where he is the star & never has to work that hard for fame, fortune & glory.

He looks like he has mental health issues & i hope he can get the help he needs because i can see it just going down hill at warp speed from here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't understand why people get so emotional about him
    Me either.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm not so sure about that because he's turned his back on the Davis cup and therefore his country as well. Personally if I was running the Australian Open I would ignore the rankings and make him go through the qualifiers until I was convinced that the paying public wasn't going to have to endure a half arsed effort.

Once he stops automatically qualifying for tournaments and it starts impacting his pay cheque his attitude might change.
    I can't believe any sponsor of his wouldn't have terminated his contract by now.

I wouldn't be inviting him to tournaments either.
    Yep. If he's that bored with tennis there is a simple answer...

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    I watched it last night & it sounds like i'm on my Pat Malone here but i felt sorry for him. Don't get me wrong cause i don't condone his behaviour at all. I just think that Bernard is a classic example of not having the right kind of support network around him to be successful.

He comes across as a knob but really he just reminds me of a 15 year old kid who gets everything that he wants from his well off parents with everyone telling him how great he is. Reality is he is just an immature kid who is growing up in front of everyones eyes & doesn't have the support around him. The kid doesn't have anyone around him to keep him grounded & he thinks expensive cars & houses will make him happy. He might have millions but as we all know that saying 'money doesn't buy you happiness' & he doesn't look happy to me. I wouldn't want his life.

Would of loved for Melissa Doyle to have asked him who keeps you grounded? who challenges you? Thats his biggest issue, he lives in a movie where he is the star & never has to work that hard for fame, fortune & glory.

He looks like he has mental health issues & i hope he can get the help he needs because i can see it just going down hill at warp speed from here.
    That's how it looks to me too. A cry for the help he's obviously not getting from those closest to him.

I genuinely have trouble keeping up with what tennis brat is doing what. The lot of them Tomic, Kyrgios, Kokkinakos all seem pretty similiar.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Me either.

Yep. If he's that bored with tennis there is a simple answer...

That's how it looks to me too. A cry for the help he's obviously not getting from those closest to him.
    TD the kids getting smashed from everyone & he's in Miami when his family is in Oz. If thats my son i know where i'd be. His parents have failed to raise him with the life skills he needs to succeed in life not tennis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    TD the kids getting smashed from everyone & he's in Miami when his family is in Oz. If thats my son i know where i'd be. His parents have failed to raise him with the life skills he needs to succeed in life not tennis.
    Yep he's got no one to turn too that hasn't got a dog in the race.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

Post Thanks / Like

I played tennis for twenty years, and pretty seriously as a junior. I don't want my son to ever play tennis.

As a sport, you focus on no-one but yourself. Your coach focuses on you, your parents focus on you, you focus on you. The ultimate narcissist breeding ground. I think, to a point, Tomic is just a product of that. Coupled with the fact he appears pretty damn talented and hasn't had to slog it out like other players, he has no concept of having to really work for something and consider anyone other than himself.

He annoys me, but 90% of people growing up with those kind of influences and mindset would probably turn out exactly the same. When he falls, he'll fall hard. Think the Scud Mark II - no cash and no concept of what to do with himself.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fairly sympathetic to his view.

Lots of people say they don't like their job. The tennis mafia paying out on him should try and understand what a tedious sport tennis is. It would destroy my soul to have to play it.
    He doesn't have to play tennis.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fairly sympathetic to his view.

Lots of people say they don't like their job.
    Do they say it to their boss and then still hold out their hand for the money?

9. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a line in Doctor Who (of all things) in 1984 when the Doctor described the self-absorbed alien villain as being 'more of a tennis player than a cricketer.' That's always summed it up for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    He doesn't have to play tennis.
    Yet if he walked away the same people criticising him now for being petulant (or brutally honest depending on your POV) would still be having a ping because he wasted his talent. He's not doing himself any favours but on the other hand he can't win.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Do they say it to their boss and then still hold out their hand for the money?
    Depends on how badly the boss wants you to work for them.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

Post Thanks / Like

He and his family have taken significant funding over time, and they've even said it was money well spent:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...aa5681cda5ab86

At the time the story was written his career earnings were around $3M, reportedly his TA support was up to $4M. He wasn't happy that he had to pay his own costs for being a professional player, including the development of his sister's career.

Now I don't like to quote the HS about tennis players who aren't anything other than Pat Rafter because they really love Pat Rafter, but if you marry the positions from two years ago to now it's hard to find sympathy for Tomic, but also hard not to see his struggle.

He's a tennis brat pure and simple, but him being a tennis brat isn't solely his issue or solely his fault. There is a problem with the sport generally, but even more so in Australia. We bastardise, sexualise and infantalise every potential star our country has ever produced. We adopt foreigners to be Australian for our tennis success, but we get really pissed off when they don't perform to our standards which are more and more subjective each time they get on the court.

I don't like Tomic and think he's a product of a bad system and irresponsible family. I don't like TA and the tennis fraternity even more than I don't like Tomic.

13. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Four million bucks. To develop one player to go on to win millions on his own account and TA doesn't see a cent back?

i guess it costs the same to develop most athletes, with most overseas competition tending to be a long way from Oz.

I'd like to know how they come up with the four mil total too. What are they counting and what are they leaving out? I'm far from being a financial genius, im flat out feigning interest in money full stop TBH, but I can be sceptical with the best of them.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

Post Thanks / Like

Four million bucks. To develop one player to go on to win millions on his own account and TA doesn't see a cent back?

i guess it costs the same to develop most athletes, with most overseas competition tending to be a long way from Oz.

I'd like to know how they come up with the four mil total too. What are they counting and what are they leaving out? I'm far from being a financial genius, im flat out feigning interest in money full stop TBH, but I can be sceptical with the best of them.
    Just on the 'not seeing a cent back' philosophy, is that necessarily accurate? Don't TA make money off of promoting the likes of Tomic and Kyrgios during tournaments and/or Davis Cup (when they play)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Just on the 'not seeing a cent back' philosophy, is that necessarily accurate? Don't TA make money off of promoting the likes of Tomic and Kyrgios during tournaments and/or Davis Cup (when they play)?

And when they bother trying.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/coup...dc481633971e26

January 14, 2018 9:22pm
    Sarah Olle
    FOX SPORTS
    Bernard Tomic will miss the Australian Open for the first time since debuting in 2009

BERNARD Tomic could be bound for the African jungle, after the former world No. 17 spectacularly bombed out of the final round of qualifying at the Australian Open.

The 25-year-old lost to world No. 218 and relative unknown Lorenzo Sonego, 6-1, 6-7, 6-4.

A rather sour Tomic left the court, while giving the chair umpire some choice words, claiming a Sonego shot in the final game was wide.

What’s more, he was overheard saying: “All I do is count my millions, you try doing what I do.”

The match looked like it could be over in less than an hour, with the Italian taking out the first set in 19 minutes.

While Tomic fought back to claim the second set in a tense tie-breaker, even letting out a few celebratory fist pumps, Sonego had too many answers for the big serving Australian.

Indeed, Sonego racked up 34 more winners than Tomic, including nine more aces.

It will be the first time Tomic has missed an Australian Open since debuting in 2009.

Industry insiders believe Tomic’s next career move could be off court, with Tomic rumoured to be starring in Network Ten’s upcoming reality Show I’m A Celebrity … Get Me Out Of Here.

Indeed, the latest promo for the show refers to a “tennis star” who could be at “break point before they know it”.

While Tomic has denied any link to the show, it’s understood he has been bragging about a potential pay cheque worth $1 million to appear in its fourth instalment.
    AFL PREMIERS 2016