Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Round 19, 2017 Discussion

Amazing finish to the Collingwood/Adelaide game. I was surprised to find myself barracking for Buckley. I've really warmed to him this year, he's been very dignified in a difficult situation not entirely of his making. Imagine one of those whingeing Scotts in his shoes!

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Ha.

Bucks should have known he was on a hiding to nothing career wise by coaching Collingwood. He should have done one or two more seasons there as an assistant and moved on to another club where he could have had an impact without worrying about a legacy.

He's really smart, and actually becoming more and more humble as the days go by. I think he could have been an excellent coach, but instead, he's been a victim of the horse manure Eddie has ensured that club has been eating for half a decade since Bucks took the job on.
    Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I agree he should have gone to other clubs and learnt different clubs strengths/ weaknesses etc. Hird, Voss and him are proof you can't come in and coach without experience at other clubs , you must do an apprenticeship first no matter how good a player you were.
    Norm Smith is the greatest coach of all time and he wasn't just handed the reins by Melbourne when he retired as a player. He went to Fitzroy for three years before taking over from Checker Hughes in 1952. But the apprenticeship served him and Melbourne well because he won flags in 1955, 56, 57, 59, 60 that's 5 in 6 years. The worst thing Eddie ever did to Bucks was to "save" him from coaching North Melbourne.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Would Bucks be a good assistant for us? Leppich going to the Tigers he could be one of the factors they had a good turn around. Bevo would know some insight from his time at the pies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Buckley is a smart guy but he needs to get away from Collingwood pronto. McGuire has been disastrous for Collingwood if you look at the big picture. Biggest and one of the wealthiest clubs for a long time but that has not been translated into sustained on-field success. Compare them to Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney - they come up short. McGuire's decision to bring back Gubby Alan, whilst knowing the history the drug use cover up scandal at GWS, was reckless.
    When Eddie took over Collingwood were on their knees.. Built them into an absolute powerhouse off the field.

Can't believe you could be so far off the mark.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    When Eddie took over Collingwood were on their knees.. Built them into an absolute powerhouse off the field.

Can't believe you could be so far off the mark.
    Yep, badly mismanaged through the 90s. Club would have been stuffed had McGuire not taken over when he did.

Post Thanks / Like

McGuire has done brilliant at the pies but maybe has crossed the line a little much with the football side of things.
    He is extremely media savvy and business articulate but his football decisions are the question.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    How good was McGoverns mark?
    How could a chubby short spud like Andrew McGovern spawn 2 fantastic AFL players?
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

9. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    How could a chubby short spud like Andrew McGovern spawn 2 fantastic AFL players?
    Their mother.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I didn't know that. That is even crazier and I guess explains why Jeremy can look over weight and was even sent away from the club to get fit a few years back!
    More of an In Bruges guy?