Link

This 2017 season has been one of the most volatile in the game’s history, but the one certainty is that the eight clubs who play finals will do so with a backdrop of extreme uncertainty.
As we round the corner towards September, the state of the competition reminds me of another famous sporting bend - the final turn at Flemington on Melbourne Cup Day.

The pressure and anticipation is palpable as the horses, tightly bunched, jostle for position.
The jockey’s have their whips at the ready, peering and waiting to see who bolts first and only then does the pack break.

In our caper, some teams have worked themselves into strengthened positions through a more consistent and efficient ride, while others have experienced a track with one or two missteps and maybe even a checked run that has forced them inside and on the rail.

The 2016 premiership-winning Western Bulldogs.

Nonetheless, every rider and horse has staked their claim for the silverware, franked by their own form card.
But as this season has proven, picking a winner isn’t easy. Just look at my tipping!

As it stands, how many teams are legitimate finals chances? Ten, 11, 12?
The so-called “sure-thing” barely exists in 2017.

Before this round, one game separated fifth and ninth, percentage split sixth and ninth and one game was the difference between ninth and 12th.

Every supporter with a team in the mix would be closely analysing the final few games and debating how many they can win – praying they can either hang on or mount a late charge to qualify.

Adelaide, GWS and Port Adelaide supporters would be confident in their dangerous attacks and scoring prowess, while Geelong and West Coast fans have been encouraged by midfields boasting speed and grit.

Richmond and Melbourne supporters are beaming with the emergence of youthful endeavour, while Sydney is back to its hardened best.
Richmond are in the top four this season
Adelaide are on top of the ladder after Round 19.

Then there’s the pack of outsiders that includes my Western Bulldogs, Essendon, St Kilda and Hawthorn, who are preying on any opportunity to slide inside that top eight.

Each club has their own special storyline, and so the anticipation grows.
The foundations of belief have been laid at every club, but adding further layers is something we did at the Dogs last season.

Looking back on it now, it galvanised the group and equipped us with a way to withstand the heightened pressure that comes with September action.

We decided to become the authors of our own story, which started full of blank pages. It’s something I’m hopeful that we can emulate once again.

My very short experience of finals football has taught me that a few things must stay the same, but being prepared to change is also important.

Continuing to trust team structure and style is crucial, but so is being able to adjust if things change suddenly, whether due to your opponent, injuries, location, or in-game strategic tweaks.

One thing we should be certain of is no club around finals contention should dare count themselves in or out. I can’t quite remember a time when the ladder has been so gridlocked or when a single round could cause multiple ladder changes.

For me, it’s a reflection of several clubs reaching similar stages of development, depth and output all at once.
But it’s also down to a common belief in this league that there is no perfect time.

Sometimes you have to go for the gap and forget the notion that teams need a steady rise to the top to achieve the ultimate success.
Dig a bit deeper and it seems the implications of equalisation are surfacing. A system put in place to create an even playing field and swell the number of contenders has created a “why not us?” attitude.