Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rocket's Contract has been terminated

Most likely he won't coach for the rest of the season, but not confirmed
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rocket's Contract has been terminated

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Most likely he won't coach for the rest of the week, but not confirmed
    The joint is a rabble. Hopefully lots of good players want to exit too, and nominate us.

Hopefully to Rockets sake, he finds another footy job somewhere else.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Like Rocket , but he'd jumped the shark when he took that job .
    Looked washed up after he coached us

Post Thanks / Like

What a rabble that place must be. I thought it was ambitious of him to take that job given he had a director of coaching role at the pies at the time, It seemed to be a very comfortable role. I hope he finds something where he can be valued .

Perfect time to raid their list. There might be a few disgruntled players, anyone worthwhile picking up ?

Post Thanks / Like

Dean Soloman to take over until the end of the season.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    What a rabble that place must be. I thought it was ambitious of him to take that job given he had a director of coaching role at the pies at the time, It seemed to be a very comfortable role. I hope he finds something where he can be valued .

Perfect time to raid their list. There might be a few disgruntled players, anyone worthwhile picking up ?

Peter Wright would be handy.

Post Thanks / Like

Complete calamity, it gets leaked before the announcement.

Post Thanks / Like

Why on Earth is May staying??

Post Thanks / Like

The AFL needs to bite the bullet and forget about a second team in Qld. Aren't there a lot of retirees and tourists on the GC? Retirees already have teams be they AFL or NRL. Tourists? I wouldn't think going to the footy is high on their 'to do' lists! And besides that clubs need members not 'oncers'.
    Gold Coast have been a bit of a rabble since the start. Karmichael Hunt? Kicked a goal didn’t he? I think he did once. It got a lot of publicity.
    Gary Ablett? Great player but hasn't wanted to be there for a while. I'm not sure about those running the club. Do they know what they're doing?
    Tasmanians are football mad and would love to stick it up us mainlanders. They would get right behind the Tassie Devils and their would be packed houses win, lose or draw.
    Rocket is a good coach and his record compares well against all coaches who haven't won a flag - if that makes sense. He was certainly good for us.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

It's been suggested the AFEL's largely behind this because they need to "sell hope" in order to sustain their shambolic northern experiment.

I'm sure Rocket's thrilled.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

And when Ablett demands a trade again... Franchises at the GC die. Just do the humane thing and let it die, and find another franchise elsewhere.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Has there ever been a successful sporting team of any kind based at the Gold Coast?

13. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Has there ever been a successful sporting team of any kind based at the Gold Coast?
    It doesn't help when getting to the game, even from Brisbane, is a serious pain in the backside. They could definitely get more people to the matches if they didn't have to mess around with park and rides etc to get there.

A shame about Rocket, but no surprise. Hopefully he's done what was required - instill a bit of leadership and prepare the next core group for life after Gaz. If he's done that, it's been a success. I'd agree it's time for a change of voice though. I'd expect there to be more than just one head roll though. They need to clear it out. Brisbane have turned it around quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    The AFL needs to bite the bullet and forget about a second team in Qld. Aren't there a lot of retirees and tourists on the GC? Retirees already have teams be they AFL or NRL. Tourists? I wouldn't think going to the footy is high on their 'to do' lists! And besides that clubs need members not 'oncers'.
    Gold Coast have been a bit of a rabble since the start. Karmichael Hunt? Kicked a goal didn’t he? I think he did once. It got a lot of publicity.
    Gary Ablett? Great player but hasn't wanted to be there for a while. I'm not sure about those running the club. Do they know what they're doing?
    Tasmanians are football mad and would love to stick it up us mainlanders. They would get right behind the Tassie Devils and their would be packed houses win, lose or draw.
    Rocket is a good coach and his record compares well against all coaches who haven't won a flag - if that makes sense. He was certainly good for us.
    I kind of feel sorry for Gil. Being left with the task of making Gold Coast work, or even just keeping it feasible, can't be easy. It's like a big dump that Demitriou took in the top draw of his desk as he was walking out the door and the smell just gets worse each time he opens it to look in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Can't think of one.

There's been a lot of unsuccessful sporting teams though.

16. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Feel for Rocket. Hope he can pick up another job in football somewhere.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]