Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  18
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Matthew Boyd - Announces Retirement

Excellent player and excellent career. Extremely grateful for his service to our club, and sorry for talking him up as still in our top five at the start of this year and putting the mozz on him!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Matty was a leader a hard worker and got the best out of himself , he will never have a "coulda shoulda" moment later in life about his football career he did it all and to get the premiership was what this bloke deserved.
    No doubt if he wishes he will continue in football roles in the future their should be no shortage of offers.
    A cemented bulldog forever .. A band of brothers that included Murphy , Morris and Picken. ,
    Bring back the biff

3. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Farewell to a legend - an uncompromising competitor who extracted the most out of himself, and in doing so showed others how to work hard and be committed to the cause.

For a patch in the middle of his career he led the league in possessions which showed how hard he ran himself to get from contest to contest. Won some crucial contests in the final quarter of the grand final and make quick good decisions with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Love this stat:

Most disposals at Etihad

3960 MATTHEW BOYD
    3955 Brent Harvey
    3911 Leigh Montagna
    3897 Nick Dal Santo
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done Boydy - a great clubman....
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Love this stat:

Most disposals at Etihad

3960 MATTHEW BOYD
    3955 Brent Harvey
    3911 Leigh Montagna
    3897 Nick Dal Santo
    What! They actually keep stats for most disposals at a ground??? ( head hits keyboard)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    What! They actually keep stats for most disposals at a ground??? ( head hits keyboard)
    Unbelievable isn't it .. King would eat this up and use it for years
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Both Ten News and SEN have published photos of Dale Morris with good luck and best wishes to Matty Boyd. Surprised they didn't say Brad Boyd.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Thanks hujsh, bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The players have been posting images over social media saying well done Dale or super imposing Dale Morris face onto Boyd body.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Pathetic considering SEN claims it's the expert football station
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

The radio and television coverage is great but the homework done, the commentators and journalist / opinions are a disgrace , they do no research , obviously don't have proof readers any more and are so full of themselves that they want to get things out quick that are total fiction.
    Bring back the biff

15. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Veteran Dog gets chance for final bow-wow

MATTHEW Boyd will return for Friday night's clash with Hawthorn in what is likely to be a farewell game for the Western Bulldogs great.

With the reigning premiers needing several results to go their way to qualify for an unlikely finals spot, Boyd will join skipper Robert Murphy in saying good bye to Bulldog faithful.

While the two veterans are set to bow out, draftee Patrick Lipinski will make his debut for the Dogs.
    Coach Luke Beveridge says with the Dogs highly unlikely to venture past the home and away season, it gave the club a chance to send Boyd off in style.

Boyd, 35 on Sunday, hasn't played at senior level since the round 16 loss to Adelaide due to an Achilles injury and indifferent form.

"(Boyd is) playing, but whether that's a farewell game or not we don't know,' Beveridge said on Thursday.
    "It's going to be pretty emotional night, because in the real world it's a very, very slim chance we can make the finals now.

"I don't usually leverage milestone games or sentiment around individuals.
    "This week I think there's room to build that emotion around Bob and Matty Boyd.
    "We go out there every week to win a game of football, and I think there's a little bit of stimulus there because there's romance around both boys."

While the Bulldogs are likely to become the first premier since Hawthorn in 2008 not to qualify for the finals the following year, Beveridge says he doesn't expect a massive overhaul of the club's football operations in a bid to return to premiership contention.

"I think you review your year regardless of whether or not you don't quite get to where you thought you might, or whether you've had a successful year," he said.

"We'll keep level heads, we've got an exciting young group of players, some of whom have improved and come on this year.
    "Maybe some have stagnated, so we'll look at ways to stimulate our players and our club to continue on and make more a fist of it next year."

One of the young players to have shown huge improvement is Lipinski, with the Northern Knights product displaying impressive form across half-forward in the VFL after overcoming a broken collarbone.
    Taken with pick 28 in last year's NAB AFL Draft, the 19-year-old wins his own football, uses it well and is strong overhead.

everidge said it was a proud moment for the youngster when former Bulldog Stephen 'Super' McPherson presented him with his number 27 guernsey prior to training on Thursday morning.

"Paddy has got most things you need from that type of player," Beveridge said.
    "He covers the ground well and his skills are quite good."
    Last edited by bornadog; 24-08-2017 at 04:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Great for him, the club, the members and 'fans'.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I like to share a story from six or so years back about Matty.
    One of Mattys Uncles is a friend and was getting married, so Uncle told all of his guests to book in with us and we would look after them etc.
    Most of Mat's family booked in with including himself and his wife.
    Matty was Doggies Captain at the time and myself, wife and pups were so chuffed at having him stay.
    Unfortunately the weekend of the wedding we had to be away and the Pups couldn't meet him.
    Our Manageress did get him to autograph a couple of Doggies mags with Mat's pic for them, but both were still disappointed.
    We arrived back 10.30ish on the Saturday night and hoped the boys would catch him in the morning.
    As unpacking the car and the courtesy bus from the wedding pulled and after a few who had their fill got out, Matty and his wife got out.( both very sober)
    They both came over to me and thanked me for the lovely room etc, then Mat asked if the Pup's were still and and if he could meet them.
    I quickly retreated and brought Pups out and then Matty asked if the had a footy handy.
    So at 11am in my Motel car-park I had a grin ear to ear as I watched my two Pup's having a kick to kick with one of their idles.
    I had to get up early the next morning to cook breaky for a few guest and went past Mats room to see if he wanted some bacon and eggs, he had left at 5.30am to get to a non compulsory training session seven hours away.
    He rang back later to check if bill was settled etc and thanked me once again.
    He is a cracking bloke and so glad I got to meet him in person let alone watch him hoist the Cup last year.
    Hence why on the Sapphire Coast and amongst my mates he is called "The Pelican's Own".
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

19. Likes anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    I like to share a story from six or so years back about Matty.
    One of Mattys Uncles is a friend and was getting married, so Uncle told all of his guests to book in with us and we would look after them etc.
    Most of Mat's family booked in with including himself and his wife.
    Matty was Doggies Captain at the time and myself, wife and pups were so chuffed at having him stay.
    Unfortunately the weekend of the wedding we had to be away and the Pups couldn't meet him.
    Our Manageress did get him to autograph a couple of Doggies mags with Mat's pic for them, but both were still disappointed.
    We arrived back 10.30ish on the Saturday night and hoped the boys would catch him in the morning.
    As unpacking the car and the courtesy bus from the wedding pulled and after a few who had their fill got out, Matty and his wife got out.( both very sober)
    They both came over to me and thanked me for the lovely room etc, then Mat asked if the Pup's were still and and if he could meet them.
    I quickly retreated and brought Pups out and then Matty asked if the had a footy handy.
    So at 11am in my Motel car-park I had a grin ear to ear as I watched my two Pup's having a kick to kick with one of their idles.
    I had to get up early the next morning to cook breaky for a few guest and went past Mats room to see if he wanted some bacon and eggs, he had left at 5.30am to get to a non compulsory training session seven hours away.
    He rang back later to check if bill was settled etc and thanked me once again.
    He is a cracking bloke and so glad I got to meet him in person let alone watch him hoist the Cup last year.
    Hence why on the Sapphire Coast and amongst my mates he is called "The Pelican's Own".
    Great story, thanks for sharing.

Matt is a terrific guy. Hopefully, he has things sorted for after footy life.