Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  18
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Matthew Boyd - Announces Retirement

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    I like to share a story from six or so years back about Matty.
    One of Mattys Uncles is a friend and was getting married, so Uncle told all of his guests to book in with us and we would look after them etc.
    Most of Mat's family booked in with including himself and his wife.
    Matty was Doggies Captain at the time and myself, wife and pups were so chuffed at having him stay.
    Unfortunately the weekend of the wedding we had to be away and the Pups couldn't meet him.
    Our Manageress did get him to autograph a couple of Doggies mags with Mat's pic for them, but both were still disappointed.
    We arrived back 10.30ish on the Saturday night and hoped the boys would catch him in the morning.
    As unpacking the car and the courtesy bus from the wedding pulled and after a few who had their fill got out, Matty and his wife got out.( both very sober)
    They both came over to me and thanked me for the lovely room etc, then Mat asked if the Pup's were still and and if he could meet them.
    I quickly retreated and brought Pups out and then Matty asked if the had a footy handy.
    So at 11am in my Motel car-park I had a grin ear to ear as I watched my two Pup's having a kick to kick with one of their idles.
    I had to get up early the next morning to cook breaky for a few guest and went past Mats room to see if he wanted some bacon and eggs, he had left at 5.30am to get to a non compulsory training session seven hours away.
    He rang back later to check if bill was settled etc and thanked me once again.
    He is a cracking bloke and so glad I got to meet him in person let alone watch him hoist the Cup last year.
    Hence why on the Sapphire Coast and amongst my mates he is called "The Pelican's Own".
    Fantatstic but unsurprising. Cut from a decent cloth.

Thanks KT
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

One of Mattys Uncles is a friend and was getting married, so Uncle told all of his guests to book in with us and we would look after them etc.
    Matty was Doggies Captain at the time and myself, wife and pups were so chuffed at having him stay.
    Unfortunately the weekend of the wedding we had to be away and the Pups couldn't meet him.
    Our Manageress did get him to autograph a couple of Doggies mags with Mat's pic for them, but both were still disappointed.
    We arrived back 10.30ish on the Saturday night and hoped the boys would catch him in the morning.
    As unpacking the car and the courtesy bus from the wedding pulled and after a few who had their fill got out, Matty and his wife got out.( both very sober)
    They both came over to me and thanked me for the lovely room etc, then Mat asked if the Pup's were still and and if he could meet them.
    I quickly retreated and brought Pups out and then Matty asked if the had a footy handy.
    So at 11am in my Motel car-park I had a grin ear to ear as I watched my two Pup's having a kick to kick with one of their idles.
    I had to get up early the next morning to cook breaky for a few guest and went past Mats room to see if he wanted some bacon and eggs, he had left at 5.30am to get to a non compulsory training session seven hours away.
    He is a cracking bloke and so glad I got to meet him in person let alone watch him hoist the Cup last year.
    Hence why on the Sapphire Coast and amongst my mates he is called "The Pelican's Own".
    What a fantastic memory KT! Thank-you for sharing as it covers off on so many of the positive attributes that made him a great team player and leader.

Post Thanks / Like

Great story KT. After last night it has bought a smile to my face. But Imagine what sitting in a car for seven hours and then doing a training session is like.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    1. Matty Boyd will make a ton of money in suburbun football next year.
    Not sure if he will. I know he has ties to the amateur comp so unless he becomes a player coach (which is still very likely) he is a good possibility to not get paid unless it's under the table.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Great story, thanks for sharing.

Matt is a terrific guy. Hopefully, he has things sorted for after footy life.
    I'm sure he is. Pretty sure he has an MBA or nearly finished it.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I'm sure he is. Pretty sure he has an MBA or nearly finished it.
    Can definitely see him becoming a successful businessman, coach, whatever he wants. He has the killer instinct necessary for success.

Fingers crossed we retain him at the club in some way.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Great story KT31.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent story KT . Great guy Matt Boyd

Post Thanks / Like

Matty Boyd confirmed as Development coach at Collingwood.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Matty Boyd confirmed as Development coach at Collingwood.
    So the old let's have a coffee trick worked again. Happy for Boydy. He'd make a great development coach.

If coffees are the most reliable source of truth, Stringer will be at the blues next year

Post Thanks / Like

Good on him. Great to see him stay involved in footy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Good on him. Great to see him stay involved in footy.
    Also just finished his MBA
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Go out get some info and experience from other clubs then come back and take us to another flag.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Go out get some info and experience from other clubs then come back and take us to another flag.
    What IP would we want from Collingwood?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    What IP would we want from Collingwood?
    How not to do things
    Bring back the biff

16. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post