Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Round 23, 2017 Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    1987 round 22. They won by 8 points and leptfrogged us into the five. As disappointed as I was at missing a spot I don't remember being that upset about it being Melbourne. We gave it our best shot, they gave it their best shot and theirs was better. No point getting upset about that, that's just how footy turns out sometimes.
    I'm less sanguine about these near misses. Having been at the 61 GF and then waiting until 76 for the next finals game that I witnessed. That was the one when Geelong over ran us with a couple of late goals. Cousins or Sheanne I think were the culprits
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I'm with merantau on this one - I hated Melbourne with a passion when they beat us and I laughed at them when they lost the PF after the siren. But it was Ricky Jackson's late goal that pissed me off more than Robbie Flower's. And of course when we picked him up a couple of years later he gave us donuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I hated them more after that ludicrous free kick paid against Wayde Skipper. We were barnstorming home that year and could have done some damage. If Skipper had been a high profile player I doubt the free would have been paid. That was my feeling at the time.
    Don't get me wrong I hate Melbourne too. I remember with fondness the 20 goal win in 1985 and taunting their supporters as they left the ground. But if ever a bloke deserved to play on a final it was Robby Flower. He stuck with them all those years they were rubbish even though he would have been getting huge offers from Carlton and Collingwood and Essendon. Anyway if it happens you may as well be sporting about it. I think that annoys people

I'm less sanguine about these near misses. Having been at the 61 GF and then waiting until 76 for the next finals game that I witnessed. That was the one when Geelong over ran us with a couple of late goals. Cousins or Sheanne I think were the culprits
    Larry Donahue kicked the sealer I think.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

1974 v Collingwood
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    How did the best defender in the comp go on Buddy ?
    Jones had a terrific game, stopping Buddy from kicking eleven.

No other defender this season can claim that.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    1974 v Collingwood
    I was overseas in 1974 so missed that one. In 76 we had the game sewn up with 7 minutes to go. It was an incredible let down.
    BTW, agree that Robbie Flower was a champion player and loyal to the core. Just wish he hadn't kicked that goal.

Post Thanks / Like

1974 v Collingwood
    I was overseas in 1974 so missed that one. In 76 we had the game sewn up with 7 minutes to go. It was an incredible let down.
    BTW, agree that Robbie Flower was a champion player and loyal to the core. Just wish he hadn't kicked that goal.

Post Thanks / Like

It was a mighty game. One of the best I've seen.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really happy to see Melbourne miss out. I've never seen a team so cocky for no reason whatsoever.

It started with Hogan sledging Boyd in 2015 - and missing finals. Between then and this year we have won a premiership, it still didn't stop their rubbish JJ insta-wank or apparently rubbing it into St Kilda players three weeks ago suggesting they'll have differing workloads in September this year.

There's also the staging and the faux tough guy stunts they pull repeatedly.

How can a side that is now going into its eleventh year of a rebuild allow itself to be so full of upstart dickheads?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'm really happy to see Melbourne miss out. I've never seen a team so cocky for no reason whatsoever.

It started with Hogan sledging Boyd in 2015 - and missing finals. Between then and this year we have won a premiership, it still didn't stop their rubbish JJ insta-wank or apparently rubbing it into St Kilda players three weeks ago suggesting they'll have differing workloads in September this year.

How can a side that is now going into its eleventh year of a rebuild allow itself to be so full of upstart dickheads?
    Paul Roos

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Paul Roos
    And yet he is spruiking his book round the traps about how wonderful he is at the moment.

All about Sydney, but funny how MFC doesn't rate a mention...
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It was a mighty game. One of the best I've seen.
    Which game, I am confused.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    And yet he is spruiking his book round the traps about how wonderful he is at the moment.

I didn't like him as a player, a coach or commentator. He is so far up himself it's not funny.

Post Thanks / Like

Which game, I am confused.
    R22 1987 at WO v Melbourne.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

This. Real tough guys don't tell you they are tough. That's usually the first thing that occurs to you as you pick yourself up off the ground and your jaw stops hurting so much.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Paul Roos
    Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post

Paul Roos is the most overhyped product on the AFL landscape.