Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  59
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day Round 21, 2017 - Western Bulldogs V GWS Giants

Well. That was a horrible night. But it exposed everything that's been lurking beneath the surface this year and now can't be denied. OUr goalkicking is terrible but so is our field kicking. Something is badly amiss around the clearances. And we haven't been able to take a trick with injury but unlike last year it's been more concentrated. It really is remarkable to think only Biggs remained from our premiership defence.

We've struggled against ordinary sides and not been seriously competitive against most of the better ones.

It really was heartbreaking to see the amazing effort of the second qtr, where I thought we were right back to our best, yield such little reward. It had to be a factor in what seemed like a capitulation. All our goals are so painfully acquired. It must be hard to keep up the effort for so little reward.

THe AFL will probably get their dream of a flag this year for the No 1 Draft Picks. They have to be the most unlikeable bunch of men you'd ever see. While Toby Greene is a standout as the most revolting Patten took huge steps forward this evening.

Incidentally does anyone know what Bevo's sprint down to the bench in Q3 was all about? I think the crowd thought (hoped) he'd gone down there to personally deck Toby Greene.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Well. That was a horrible night. But it exposed everything that's been lurking beneath the surface this year and now can't be denied. OUr goalkicking is terrible but so is our field kicking. Something is badly amiss around the clearances. And we haven't been able to take a trick with injury but unlike last year it's been more concentrated. It really is remarkable to think only Biggs remained from our premiership defence.

We've struggled against ordinary sides and not been seriously competitive against most of the better ones.

It really was heartbreaking to see the amazing effort of the second qtr, where I thought we were right back to our best, yield such little reward. It had to be a factor in what seemed like a capitulation. All our goals are so painfully acquired. It must be hard to keep up the effort for so little reward.

THe AFL will probably get their dream of a flag this year for the No 1 Draft Picks. They have to be the most unlikeable bunch of men you'd ever see. While Toby Greene is a standout as the most revolting Patten took huge steps forward this evening.

Incidentally does anyone know what Bevo's sprint down to the bench in Q3 was all about? I think the crowd thought (hoped) he'd gone down there to personally deck Toby Greene.
    The trouble with our goal kicking was we were having shots from too far out. The real problem is skill errors and decision making around the ground. Delivery into the f50 just isn't good enough.

The 3rd quarter was where we lost it, and Bevo seemed to be very concerned and rushed down to personally deliver messages to players.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The trouble with our goal kicking was we were having shots from too far out. The real problem is skill errors and decision making around the ground. Delivery into the f50 just isn't good enough.

The 3rd quarter was where we lost it, and Bevo seemed to be very concerned and rushed down to personally deliver messages to players.
    You begin to wonder whether Cloke and Redpath are good enough as key forwards. Stringer has had a very poor season as well. I thought we lost our way in the second quarter with 22 forward 50 advances to only 3 by GWS, with a poor return on the scoreboard.Our defence without Wood JJ and Morris was very inexperienced and below par tonight. The midfield struggled as well with Libba sadly out of form and Wallis with just one kick simply not good enough. This was a disaster waiting to happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I don't know about not being rubbed out but I'm with you on him not doing much if anything wrong and certainly never took his eyes off the ball. But suspensions are handed out at the moment for the outcome on the other player and Dal looked pretty banged about. I think with his record he might get 3 or 4.
    Barry Hall was looking downfield and never took his eyes off the play when he ironed out Brent Staker.

Greene knew exactly what he was doing, and I'm frankly amazed anyone is talking it down.

I'm not given to hyperbole, it's a tough game and shit happens, but that was as malicious in intent as just about anything I've seen on the footy field.
    "It's over. It's all over."

6. Likes N/A, SonofScray, merantau, Topdog, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Barry Hall was looking downfield and never took his eyes off the play when he ironed out Brent Staker.

Greene knew exactly what he was doing, and I'm frankly amazed anyone is talking it down.

I'm not given to hyperbole, it's a tough game and shit happens, but that was as malicious in intent as just about anything I've seen on the footy field.
    Yeah looking at it again that foot is fairly naughty and had no business being in Dal's face. For a start you don't jump and splay your legs. You want to get your feet back on the ground as safely and quickly as possible.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I don't know about not being rubbed out but I'm with you on him not doing much if anything wrong and certainly never took his eyes off the ball. But suspensions are handed out at the moment for the outcome on the other player and Dal looked pretty banged about. I think with his record he might get 3 or 4.
    Studs up should mean weeks out.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    All we hear about is duty of care, surely he had one when he chose to lift his foot to head height. If guys are getting weeks for meaningless punches to the guts then Green has to go.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

11. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just wished that Dal's face had snapped Green's knee.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Without Morris and Wood we're unorganised in our back half - too many one v one contests where we were easily out-positioned and exposed. We don't know what Morris will do, and having Wood and Adams back will help, but it highlighted why we should be chasing after Lever, too.

Bontempelli is our only consistent, effective winner in the middle who can make things happen at the moment, but he's being spread too thin with our need to play 3 of him and lacks support inside. Wallis came back with a bang but has struggled and Libba remains a mile off the pace.

I think most of us have had concerns about playing Redpath and Cloke in the same forward line, particularly at the fast-paced Etihad against a pretty mobile defensive unit.

Our inability to generate reward for effort continues to hurt us, but we do it to ourselves with skill errors and indecisiveness.

I hate GWS and I hope Greene gets weeks.

14. Likes merantau, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    All we hear about is duty of care, surely he had one when he chose to lift his foot to head height. If guys are getting weeks for meaningless punches to the guts then Green has to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post

I hate GWS and I hope Greene gets weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I just wished that Dal's face had snapped Green's knee.

Yep I've come around on it. Given it is practically a kick to the face I'd be very suprised, and very upset, if Greene plays again this season. It deserves 6-7 weeks.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

16. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad im in Samoa and missed the game.
    The curse is dead.

18. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Greene will get off with a fine or 2 weeks at most.

Hate or hate him he is one of the best players in the league and how I'd love a player of his ability to be in our team.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't care how good he is I wouldn't want him.
    He would have been the kid in under 8's that would go out of his way to hurt someone.

I'm all for tough at the contest, Morris, West, Cross and Voss. Those types that go hard at the ball and if the a player gets hurt in the process that's footy.
    But this guy is just a thug and has no remorse for his actions.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

According to Gaddy Lyon what Greene did was "no different" to if Mumford was charging at you full pelt so you're entitled to put a foot up to protect yourself and if your opponent wants to run into that foot face first it's "their business".

Gee he's a class act.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

The scoreboard shows that we had our backsides kicked last night but during all this mayhem I think we did play some good football, although wasteful, during the first half.

Young is getting some criticism but I thought some of his earlier efforts were terrific with his attacking play. He impacted some contests
    by attacking the ball and I think this should be encouraged.

We got very little from our 3 ins this week. Dickson was OK, Dunkley perhaps a bit better and Stringer was well down.
    We also got very little from 3 of our more experienced guys in Liberatore, Wallis and Picken.
    Macrae was in positions to impact the scoreboard and even though I rate him highly he simply shirked taking the game on.

That's a sizeable chunk of the team on the night that didn't really impact the game for us as we would have hoped for.

I was intrigued by our use of Daniel on the night and having him play a lot as a HBF. I don't think that worked for us

I don't like losing games and especially against GWS but we now have to focus on Port and making a positive effort for our new home at Mars stadium.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"